1.    #1  
    Hello all,
    First of all I want to thank this community for it's amazing resources and helpful members. But having read negative and angry post after angry post, I wanted to say a few things nice, a few things critical, and a few ideas for the future of Palm.

I love my Pre. There, I said it. I love it and, aside from some niggling and obvious issues that need to be fixed, it's pretty much everything I wanted in a phone. But, having said all of that, I am not, nor have I ever been, any kind of a 'fan boy'. I wanted a phone with a beautiful touchscreen that could serve as a ebook reader, GPS, AND have a workable keyboard that was not an iPhone. And therein lies one of my favorite things about the Pre....it has a truly elegant, functional OS that is not trying to BE an iPhone. Nearly every other smartphone on the market seems to be trying to beat Apple at it's own game...and it's simply not possible. Not only did I get all the functions I desired, I got them for $80 (if only I'd waited a month, I could have had it for free...sigh) AND I got unlimited everything for $70 a month. That's a full $10 less than I was paying with Verizon with ZERO data. I also love how accessible the Pre is to programmers and techies much smarter than I to allow me to alter and customize my phone in anyway I see fit. Preware is simply genius.

I have been surprised of late at the sheer volume of hatred being vented on this forum against Palm and against the Pre. Now I realize that I'm relatively new to my Pre and I didn't have to deal with months of slow software, or returned many phones. And I absolutely understand the frustration of 'almost perfect' that comes from owning a Pre. There are so many things to love that the many and obvious shortcomings become magnified and harder to deal with. But, although it took them entirely too long to take Palm OS up to date, they really have addressed nearly every issue I ever had with my Treo 700p. So I understand your frustration. I understand that Palm has made some very questionable decisions including making their first adopters into beta testers, but the end result, in my opinion, is a phone that truly falls JUST short of brilliant.

Now some criticism. It's all pretty obvious really. Palm NEEDS to fix issues with horrid battery life, obvious memory leaks, broken patches (I was one of victims of the 'no streaming audio' after the 1.4 update). And, I would go so far as to say that Palm should literally put everything else on hold until the WebOS runs the way it ought to. At this point, it feels a bit like running Vista on a netbook. We didn't really know what Vista was supposed to be until we saw Windows 7......and it was beautiful. Furthermore, I've been literally shocked at the lack of exposure and advertising for the phone. Everytime I show my phone off on the Subway or to friends they look at me with shock and awe. It is an amazing elegant and sexy phone and, aside from the horrid battery life, even in it's flawed state, it's pretty fricking amazing. I think Palm was BRILLIANT in hiring some of the iPhone developers to work on the Pre. But I wish they'd have the forethought to also hire some of Apple's marketing folk as well. Apple is about to launch a product in the 'ipad' that has essentially been around since 2001 in one form or another and they have a large percentage of the population believing that it's magical and revolutionary. THAT is brilliiant marketing people! Meanwhile, Palm has a product that truly is revolutionary and it was dropped unceremoniously on the market like it was completely unremarkable.

Now, for what it's worth, a few ideas for Palm. Some of them, I think, may be a bit unique as New York is a very different market than most in the US, and I believe it is a VERY valuable Market for Palm to attack. In New York the iPhone is SO prevalent that it has literally brought ATT to it's knees. Any time I receive a call from a friend that is dropped or staticy, I can pretty much be certain that they are with ATT and, more than likely, on an iPhone. Consumer Reports, who LOVES the iPhone, in their recent service/smartphone rundown said they would be hesitant to recommend the iPhone/ATT combo in large cities. This should have been, and still can be, a major attack point for Palm. Since I've switched from Verizon to Sprint I'm paying far less for FAR more services and I would venture to say that the reception is better than it ever was with Verizon. So, at least on Sprint, the Pre is a MAJOR player for casual users who want a phone that is 'as cool as' the iPhone for a MUCH smaller price point both in unit sales and in service fees. For the Pre on Verizon, it's one of the very few really cool phones out there for Verizon. Verizon has traditionally been all about having the best network, but they are the last to get the cool phones. But I don't think that WebOS is just a major selling point for teens and hip people looking for a cool phone. I think it should be selling itself as the phone between the iPhone and the Blackberry. Palm isn't going to compete with Apple anytime soon in cooking up a pure entertainment phone, and it isn't established enough in the business world to compete with the Blackberry. But there are a raft of businessmen who really want an upgrade from their Blackberries, but need a physical keyboard and email service that can compete with what they are used to. Palm could be that phone. Palm needs to throw everything it has left in a new WebOS device to conquer these markets while not abandoning their existing consumer base. They need to compete with iPhone not directly, but by being the phone for those of us that have never liked Apple or need things that the iPhone simply can't offer (Flash will be big in this respect) They should pursue partnerships with companies that Apple can't court like Hulu. Because of Steve Jobs' staunch refusal to incorporate Flash compatibility, a phone that provided free entertainment would be a definite feather in it's cap.

I love my phone, but am disappointed to find that an upgraded phone has already been released. If Palm doesn't iron out WebOS to run on the ample hardware of the regular Pre, they will be hard pressed to maintain ANY customer loyalty. They need to get WebOS 'Vista' to WebOS 'Win 7' ASAP. To keep their customer loyalty, they need to tweak the hardware model of the existing Pre so that those customers who HAVE had to return their phone several times won't encounter the same hardware flaws over and over again. And to address the battery issues (which are truly awful) Palm should look into providing at cost battery replacements for existing Pre's with a higher capacity battery (at least 1400) and possibly some kind of a low profile charging case such as those that exist for the iPhone and the Samsung Instinct. I adore that I CAN switch out my battery. It was and is one of the major failings of the iPhone. Palm could turn this into a strength for the Pre.

I don't suppose I've said anything that hasn't been said many times before in these forums. But I truly love my Pre and am sad to see it attacked (even if those attacks are sometimes justified). I think that Palm DOES have the capacity to pull this plane out of it's tailspin and possibly even grab back a significant portion of the market. The iPhone isn't directly attackable....it's had too many years to perfect the things that Apple does well. But it is very vulnerable indirectly both from the things that the iPhone doesn't do well (multitasking) and the things it doesn't choose to do. Blackberry, on the other hand, reminds me a bit of where Palm was a few years back: resting on it's laurels. Much like Palm, there hasn't been a revoltionary step in their OS for many years, just many baby steps. For this reason, I think that they are a bit vulnerable. Palm need to get it's capabilities out there and stand behind their product. Grass roots works...but we need some help from their marketing department. I maintain my positivity and stand in awe of the great potential of this phone and this OS. Come on Palm, don't make me a chump.....make me proud.

Hope I didn't bore anyone,

Mark
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Mark - look in the Times square train station in the main area between the 1/2/3 and S line. Palm has ads all over the place. Go to Herald Square - more ads. Tons of them all over the subway. They aren't bad at all... I just don't know how many people who use phones realize this or find it effective even though it's draped with Palm ads... at this late date.

I don't know that Palm has the ability to "make it right" with customers since it's convinced that the Pre and the Pixi are the best machines on the market with just a few glitches.
    What phone doesn't have glitches?
    Didn't bore me at all, in fact IMO it was a good read. Seemed objective and passionate, my favorite combo. I agree with you on many, if not all of the points you make. And as an aside, I would love one of the charging cases for the Pre, that would be awesome. And Lord knows Palm should've stolen, I mean hired some of Apple's old marketing folks! I think we can all agree on that 1000%.

Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions. I will admit that I am a palm fan girl, but it's because every Palm device I ever had "just worked." It was the zen of Palm that mesmerized me and kept (keeps) my heart content.
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the quick responses folks. I have DEFINITELY seen the print ads from Verizon all over New York. But I don't feel they give any impression of how the phone works. Even something as simple as those old iPhone ads where they showed someone navigating through the menus with fine print at the bottoms saying that the phone didn't actually respond that quickly. I too love Palm. I had the original Kyocera 6035 which I affectionately called 'the brick.' But I was frustrated with Palm until the Pre because the only real changes in their OS was color and a higher resolution. If only the Pre had come out a year earlier......

Mark
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Great read! I agree 100%.

Maybe if Palm included the touchstone with each phone they would see a jump in sales?
  7.    #7  
    Hey Ghost! I agree 100 percent that the touchstone (and probably an extra charger) should have been included. But at this point, I also want Palm to make money so it can stay afloat....I don't know how much it costs to manufacture versus sale price. But definitely everyone I have showed the Touchstone to was pretty wowed by the 'cool' factor. At the very least they should have had the backplate included. I'm surprised that the touchstone hasn't been featured in the commercials......
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost 13 View Post
    Great read! I agree 100%.

Maybe if Palm included the touchstone with each phone they would see a jump in sales?
    I don't think many give a damn about the touchstone. It's a cute gimmick but doesn't change the fact that the mediocre build, small screen and non-existant apps doesn't make it a compelling choice against other phones.
  9.    #9  
    Hmmm. I have to respectfully disagree Slinky. First of all, if you really look at screen size, it isn't THAT much smaller than the iphone...there is a LOT of bezel going on with the iPhone. And I think that the Pre actually functions better as a phone. When I use an iphone I feel like I'm holding a large credit card up to my face for some mysterious reason. I have definitely heard about the build issues, but I haven't experienced them myself, and I love the way my Pre feels in hand. As to the app situation...I'm willing to give that time. Many developers have said that WebOS is the easiest mobile solution to program for....and apparently conversion from iphone is relatively painless. I have played with the Hero, Droid, Eris and, of course, the iphone and I find that I prefer the Pre and I think that others would agree IF they were exposed to it AND if it wasn't getting such a bad reputation (somewhat deserved unfortunately). I believe that the original iphone had a fairly henious failure rate, but Apple stepped up and fixed what was wrong.....Palm needs to do the same.

Mark