1.    #1  
    Or should I say "Reconditioned?" The clerk attempted to explain the difference to me. Reconditioned units are warranty replacements that were typically returned within 30 days, and refurbed units come from the insurance company.

My replacement was activated on 7/9/2009, but reconditioned on 1/29/2010. Hardly 30 days.

My original Pre I bought from ebay about 5 months ago. It worked great. Slight oreo that got only a little worse as time went on but it didn't bother me. I did however have the headset jack problem which got exponentially worse until I finally got it replaced under warranty at Sprint this week.

I am having a few software issues, specifically, sometimes when you press the power button to attempt to wake the phone, it will not wake up (I press the button once and wait) and after a few seconds it reboots itself. I have not yet doctored the phone so no cause for alarm.

However, the slider doesn't seem right to me. The slide action is smooth, but the top half of the pre stick past the bottom half about 1 mm. Its defnately noticable visually and in your hand. I've been doing my best to ignore it, and wait to see what else might be wrong with the phone before I attempt another replacement, but there is one thing that is causing me concern. As you are sliding the phone, you can hear a plastic crinkle about halfway through the slide. Sounds like it could be the ribbon cable connecting the two halves. I am trying very hard not to be petty, but I am at least fairly familiar with electronics and this crinkling does trouble me.

Any insight?
    I'm still trying to figure out how you got a warranty replacement from sprint for a phone you bought on ebay.

the crinkling noise is just as likey to be pocket lint or some crumbs.

my keyboard sticks out just a hair_ too. I just ignore it.
  3.    #3  
    I bought the phone from ebay with the intention of flashing to cricket, which I did successfully, but as such the features I wanted the phone for (MMS, Web, apps, etc) were severly crippled on Crickets network. I finally gave up the ghost for cricket service and stopped in at a Sprint Store. After speaking with the rep about plans and such, I was so excited I activated service on Sprint and bought an extra Pre for my wife. As she was activating the phone, I was asking about TEP and whether my ebay phone would qualify. She said Sure! Said she would just enter my ebay phone into the system as a refurb and give me TEP on both phones.

She probably just wanted to make sure I signed up for sprint service.

Also, it is definately not crumbs or lint. The sound is distinct, and in fact it's two crinkles or plastic-y click sounds that always occur at the exact same point in the slide and for the exact same duration.
    The power button problem has been happening to me as well..i think its a 1.4 problem, never happened before.
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcnamara43 View Post
    The power button problem has been happening to me as well..i think its a 1.4 problem, never happened before.
    no, it's just ur phone and his, nothing to do with 1.4. Don't blame every problem you have on the update.
    she added insurance because march is open insurance enrollment month
    I am on my 3rd Pre since the June launch day. My 3rd is a refurb and it's the best of the bunch. Tight with no oreo. I have to admit though I rather liked the silver lining on the center button that my 2nd Pre had. I could care less if it's refurbed, reconditioned or new as long as it's going to work.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how you got a warranty replacement from sprint for a phone you bought on ebay.
    dont matter wher you got it from so long as the #'s are clean I have been out of a contract sice 2006 and have went throught 4 difrent phones and each one was insured.
    BTW the refirb or reman phones suck and thats a fact, my new one lasted 6 months since that one broke i have been throught 7 in 6 months there is a tread about refirbs on here somewere.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    she added insurance because march is open insurance enrollment month
    I highly doubt that since this was back in November.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    no, it's just ur phone and his, nothing to do with 1.4. Don't blame every problem you have on the update.
    no sir, it is indeed the 1.4 update. I've been having the same problem since I updated my pre, so it's definitely no coincidence.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by LC_3720 View Post
    no sir, it is indeed the 1.4 update. I've been having the same problem since I updated my pre, so it's definitely no coincidence.
    I never had that problem on my last pre. The phone rarely crashed on me.

I can tell you specifically that when I am using preware, if I install a patch, and let the phone fall sleep while it is awaiting a response to the Luna reboot prompt, it will crash on wake 100% of the time.

But once again, I have not yet doctored the phone even once. In fact, the phone was 1.3.5.1 when I got it from sprint, and then I updated to 1.4. I am assuming doctoring the phone once or twice will solve the problem. If not? Back to sprint I go.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    Oh Boy A Fan Boy....I bet Your Phone Is Perfect...had it since the first day blah,blah blah...
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    Actually, the Luna reset on wake is a bug. It has happened to multiple Pre's since 1.4. It will be fixed in the update I'm sure.

That "crinkle" you hear is normal. It's the "new" sound, you know? I had my Pre replaced last week and was wondering what was wrong with the slider and it went away within a couple of days and the slider still feels new. Don't worry about it.