Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    what is palm was bought out by lets say apple.. rim.. or Google.. would that be bad for us?? my thinking is they combine there tech normal, but proven tech with palms awesomeness and that "potentially" be nothing but good for us palm users.
  2. #2  
    no !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3. #3  
    The only positive outcome I could imagine, but absolutely wouldn't happen, is for somehow WebOS software (and not just current software, but entire software philosophy regarding openness and updates continuing into the future as well) to end up on HTC hardware.

    That's the only positive scenario I can even imagine from any possible buyout, and it's not going to happen.

    But I believe in Palm, I think they can make it as a company.
  4. Honis's Avatar
    Posts
    508 Posts
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    #4  
    If RIM bought them it would be for WebOS. Blackberry has some fairly sturdy handsets and it would enter WebOS into a solid business market. RIM would only do this if they planned on phasing out its dated Java based OS.

    If Google bought them it would be for the patent portfolio and experienced engineers. We'd likely see WebOS features in Android 3.0 or 4.0. Because of their current investment in Android I doubt they would allow WebOS itself to live on as they have done to other bought out entities like Sketchup and YouTube.

    If Apple bought them (highly unlikely), everything Palm would die. They would buy them only to improve their patent portfolio and begin expanding current lawsuits and starting new ones against HTC, Google, and RIM. They already have a high sales product so I see no reason why they would only add a sprinkle of WebOS ideas in any of their products.

    At this point I think it's more likely (if a buyout happened) that HTC would buy them. It would give some patent leverage against Apple (one of the reasons Apple hasn't sued Palm) and it would put them on the market of releasing their own completely inhouse smartphone. However, this would bring many drawbacks since they partner with many software giants that would become competitors.

    Nokia is a company people tend to forget about when running through this discussion. If they wanted to break into the upper part of the smartphone market, buying palm when it's cheap would be a viable option. (My knowledge of Nokia in any market is very low so correct me if I missed something).
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  5. #5  
    Since we're speculating, here's my notes:

    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    If RIM bought them it would be for WebOS. Blackberry has some fairly sturdy handsets and it would enter WebOS into a solid business market. RIM would only do this if they planned on phasing out its dated Java based OS.
    I'd hate to see RIM buy Palm, because I can only imagine how much more "corporate" webOS would become. I doubt that they'd let the Palm folks continue on without mucking things up. There's a reason why the RIM OS remains so backwards--I think it's RIM's general mentality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    If Google bought them it would be for the patent portfolio and experienced engineers. We'd likely see WebOS features in Android 3.0 or 4.0. Because of their current investment in Android I doubt they would allow WebOS itself to live on as they have done to other bought out entities like Sketchup and YouTube.
    Google created Android to gain some control over driving people to Google properties. Simply put, Google only cares about sending people to places that can serve up Google ads--that is, after all, their entire business model. I don't like Google, I don't want what Google wants, and if they bought webOS it would turn into the same sort of disjointed, ugly kludge that we see with Android itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    If Apple bought them (highly unlikely), everything Palm would die. They would buy them only to improve their patent portfolio and begin expanding current lawsuits and starting new ones against HTC, Google, and RIM. They already have a high sales product so I see no reason why they would only add a sprinkle of WebOS ideas in any of their products.
    Won't happen, unless Steve Jobs just wants to get back at Ruby and co.

    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    At this point I think it's more likely (if a buyout happened) that HTC would buy them. It would give some patent leverage against Apple (one of the reasons Apple hasn't sued Palm) and it would put them on the market of releasing their own completely inhouse smartphone. However, this would bring many drawbacks since they partner with many software giants that would become competitors.
    I'd actually like to see this. HTC doesn't care about the OS that runs on their devices--they're a hardware company, through and through. In fact, they'd probably prefer not having to put their Sense UI nonsense on a phone to make it worth using, and webOS by itself is a better UI than anything they could make (or support). Plus, they'd love to have Palm's patents, I'm sure. Overall, a $1 billion or so investment might make good sense to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    Nokia is a company people tend to forget about when running through this discussion. If they wanted to break into the upper part of the smartphone market, buying palm when it's cheap would be a viable option. (My knowledge of Nokia in any market is very low so correct me if I missed something).
    I think Nokia's already working on similar stuff, and so this is probably unlikely. I, too, know nothing about them, however.

    My choice, should Palm be acquired, would be either HP or Sony. Both are making very nice hardware, and both lack a real presence in the mobile space. Of the two, I'd love most to see Sony buy Palm: I remember the Clie, best hardware ever made for PalmOS. I can only imagine the beautiful machines Sony would put out leveraging webOS. There are things I don't like about Sony (support being one of them), but man, they do make nice hardware.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    The only positive outcome I could imagine, but absolutely wouldn't happen, is for somehow WebOS software (and not just current software, but entire software philosophy regarding openness and updates continuing into the future as well) to end up on HTC hardware.

    That's the only positive scenario I can even imagine from any possible buyout, and it's not going to happen.

    But I believe in Palm, I think they can make it as a company.
    HTC has made quite a few Palm handsets already. Most of them, in fact, if I recall. Somebody pointed out that the Treo Pro is HTC built, that one I wasn't sure about. I could possibly see that happening, but if they did that, they'd pretty much have to scrap Android, would be a conflict of interest. Notice that Palm didn't switch to Windows Mobile until they decided to retire PalmOS for good. I doubt that they'd do anything to lose the Android market just yet.

    Nokia? Been rumored, but they've got their own massive following with Symbian, I doubt they'd license another company's OS for their hardware. They'd lose a ton of sales. Possible, though, even if it's small.
  7. Honis's Avatar
    Posts
    508 Posts
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    My choice, should Palm be acquired, would be either HP or Sony. Both are making very nice hardware, and both lack a real presence in the mobile space. Of the two, I'd love most to see Sony buy Palm: I remember the Clie, best hardware ever made for PalmOS. I can only imagine the beautiful machines Sony would put out leveraging webOS. There are things I don't like about Sony (support being one of them), but man, they do make nice hardware.
    Ah I forgot about the US manufacturers like HP and Dell.

    I think HP would buy them up and use them to try and thwart Dells advancement into the smartphone market. If HP buys them I would not be happy based on their previous buyout history. HP bought out Compaq and subsequently killed off everything Compaq but the name (OpenVMS ). I would expect them to do the same to Palm over time.

    Dell seems to be moving in the direction of Android but maybe if we got a WebOS devise in Michael Dell's hand we could convince him to buy Palm and convert his operations...
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    I think HP would buy them up and use them to try and thwart Dells advancement into the smartphone market. If HP buys them I would not be happy based on their previous buyout history. HP bought out Compaq and subsequently killed off everything Compaq but the name (OpenVMS ). I would expect them to do the same to Palm over time.
    Yeah, but HP already had computers when they bought Compaq. They currently have zero smartphones, so I think that if anyone bought Palm, HP would be the most likely to keep all of their work around. ... Though I'm still personally a little annoyed that they killed off the tc1100, but that's neither here or there.

    Though I'm still hoping Palm's able to survive on their own, without being bought. It'll be a tough fight, but here's hoping they've got enough of the scrappy underdog in them.
  9. #9  
    Think of how many apps we'd get o_o.
  10. #10  
    You also have to consider the possibility that another company might buy Palm and do absolutely nothing with webOS.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Though I'm still hoping Palm's able to survive on their own, without being bought. It'll be a tough fight, but here's hoping they've got enough of the scrappy underdog in them.
    I am as well, but I have to be completely honest: I don't know if I can wait the months and months necessary to see if Palm makes it. There are some missing pieces that I've been waiting for, such as document editing and audio recording, along with a greater variety of apps, that I need on my smartphone and that I've been waiting patiently (for me) to see on webOS.

    Specifically, I'm willing to wait things out (and continue to fight for the platform as I can) if Palm can do the following in the next 30-60 days:

    1. Release an update that fixes the bugs introduced in 1.4. In particular, the "Too Many Cards" issue simply must be fixed. I understand that I can't run a 3D game and many other cards at the same time, but I should be able to close apps, run a game, and then reopen other apps without issue. Rebooting my Pre is simply not an acceptable option. All other common 1.4 bugs must also be fixed.

    2. Enable microphone support in the SDK, and add an audio recording app. I think the lack of microphone support is one of the biggest mysteries around webOS so far--it simply makes no sense to me. Voice dialing would be nice, and I'd like to think that Shazam would make an app once the microphone is accessible, but that would just be gravy at this point.

    3. Release the update enabling wide distribution of PDK apps. This is one of the most promising features of webOS to date, but Palm will lose the advantage quickly. Already, Google has added similar development capabilities to Android, and so if ported C/C++ apps start funneling into the Android Market before the App Catalog, Palm loses the benefit of this great capability.

    4. If they have to, Palm should pay Dataviz to finish Docs to Go for webOS. For me, this is the deal-breaker: I simply must be able to edit Office documents on the road, and I can't with my Pre. I've waited this long, but I can't wait too much longer. I wonder how many other people are in the same position.

    If Palm can do these things, then the Pre will do everything I need it to do, and better than any other platform out there. I could stick with the platform indefinitely, in fact, as is, and it would take something pretty spectacular to get me to switch. If they can't do them, though, then I'll have no choice but to switch. And, that would make me very sad.
    Last edited by wynand32; 03/21/2010 at 03:46 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  12. #12  
    Or! Palm start making money and none of the previous posts matter!
    However! If i had to choose i'd go with nokia,their phones BOUNCE really well.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
  13. Honis's Avatar
    Posts
    508 Posts
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 sisters View Post
    Or! Palm start making money and none of the previous posts matter!
    That's what I really hope happens....
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3

Posting Permissions