1.    #1  
    Love my pre plus. Love Palm, been using their products for years, no problems with their hardware OR software. Dont want to see palm go down, because I believe in the company and its products.

So as I was driving, I noted how many different independent car companies exist- GM (with all their sub-brands), Chrysler, Ford, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagon, Subaru, Jaguar, Land Rover, Porsche, etc...
    they are all different cars you say, comparing apples to oranges?

Well, what about all the television companies out there- sony, samsung, LG, panasonic, toshiba, vizio, sharp, and the countless other cheaper companies...they all play the same thing on tv...

gets me thinking, why do we only have to have apple, microsoft, google, and RIM making smartphones (never mind nokia, pretty non-existent in the US).

everyone drives a car...everyone has a tv...virtually everyone has a phone too...and many more people are getting smartphones...

so with all the analysts predicting doom and gloom, palm will die in less than a year, someone needs to take over, etc etc...I'm wondering, why cant palm continue to exist the way it is, and continue to make strides towards improving its software and hardware as best as it can, and still stick around, like all those car and television companies? who says EVERYONE needs to walk around with a blackberry or iphone or android phone or "Windows Phone 7 series" phone...

I for one want a PALM phone, and always will.
    Last edited by MDsmartphone; 03/19/2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: typp
    As long as Palm continues to make devices, there will be consumers who will buy them. Unfortunately, business rules dont allow for under-performing companies to just make products. They have to make a profit. If the profit isnt satisfying investors, then harsh things such as closing or selling the company will be considered. At the price of Palm's stock, not to many investors are making money.
    Its not even investors, its palm is not making a profit, they are spending more then they are making.
    I wish Palm could go on as they are, too. But Palm is a publicly traded company and its shareholders expect to see the company perform well, its stock price rise, and to dispense healthy dividends. Palm is failing its investors at this time.

Keep in mind that a business is not in business to make phones, develop OSes, hire workers, provide health insurance, day care, or stock options to employees. It's number one goal is to make a profit. That's it. If Palm can develop phones and mobile OSes and make a profit, that's what it will do. If it can't, then it should find another revenue stream. Otherwise investors will flee, the stock price will collapse, layoffs will ensue, and a bankruptcy or buyout will commence.
    Well, where you've got a slight flaw in your reasoning is the timeframe here. Cars is cars, they all function the same way. Its just the level of sophistication and quality you want. Mechanically, a Porche doesn't function much different in the key components compared to a Volkwagen. You turn it on, it gets you where you want to go. That, and mainstream mass-produced cars have been around a heck of a lot longer.

Likewise, TV's. The majority of our media and news is on the boob tube, our entertainment comes from there, and yeah......timeframe again. Personally, I don't have an HDTV, I have a 13" tube screen that does more or less the exact same thing as a massive plasma screen, just without the sophistication.

In either case, you pretty much NEED a car, if you don't have a TV you're stuck off in la la land with no real outside input, you need a landline, a stove, a fridge, a bathtub........cell phones in most people's minds (meaning, the ones with the money to buy them and pay the contract price) are still a luxury item you can easily do without.

Tech like phones and computers.......take it from my perspective. Quite a bunch of us are old enough to remember life without cell phones, I was 23, I think, when I got my first one, 17 years ago. I didn't jump on the smartphone bandwagon right away, my thinking was I needed a phone, not a mini computer that happened to have a lousy phone built in. RIM went all-business, rather than consumer, at first, so that wasn't much of a help there. The mainstream smartphone market didn't really start getting popular until the antichrist.......sorry, iPhone........hit the market three years ago. Even then, its just taking off. Figure most people in that market are in their 30's, and parents, they want one or two somewhat nice phones for the adults, and cheap throwaway phones for the kids. Smartphones aren't really much on the radar, but I expect they will be, as more and more feature phones get dumped off the loading dock. No money in them, since a Pre isn't that much more than a fully-loaded Instinct or whatnot. Heck, even home computers weren't much in the mainstream until Dell and Gateway started going head to head, and even in 2001/2002, when I worked for Gateway, both of those companies were on the verge of collapse. Just not enough sales, not enough people willing to drop $1200 or more on something considered a luxury, stuff like that.

Sometimes, though, companies just become too irrelevant to survive. I want to see Palm make it, I'd love to see WebOS wind up on mainstream netbooks, fast dual-boot setups like ExpressGate or similar, and a focus on a few sturdy pieces of hardware, but I really have the feeling they took too much time to catch up. I wasn't going to make it too much longer on waiting for WebOS myself. The only reason I did was encouraging news, and experience with the other "must have" products that left me underwhelmed.
    Cars and TVs aren't really good examples, because they're all just variants of the same basic technologies. For example, cars (mostly) are built around internal combustion engines using gasoline, and TVs are devices that receive standard over-the-air and cable broadcast signals. There are thousands of gas stations and a plethora of media companies selling the same products, and any car and any TV can make use of them. So, competition is around basic things like features, prices, etc.

Smartphones and computers are different. They depend on applications written by developers to be successful, and developers can only write applications for so many platforms. This is why there are only a few PC operating systems (Windows, Mac OS X, and to a much more limited extent Linux), and that's why only a few smartphone platforms will survive.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Well, where you've got a slight flaw in your reasoning is the timeframe here. Cars is cars, they all function the same way. Its just the level of sophistication and quality you want. Mechanically, a Porche doesn't function much different in the key components compared to a Volkwagen. You turn it on, it gets you where you want to go.
    Looks like we were writing our posts at just about the same time. We went in different directions, but our basic premise is essentially the same, it seems.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic