Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Title pretty much says it. I have wanted a pre for a long time now and am really close to getting one... but all this problems and palm not doing well and stepping up their game is making me worried. what should I do?
    Buy. Buy. Buy.
    If you like the phone and you're okay with the apps that are currently available, then I don't see why not.

One, it's not like Palm is just going to disappear overnight, they've still got cash on hand to last them a little while.

Two, even with the news, if you feel the platform is the best fit for you, that's not going to change even if they did go out of business. If they do, hopefully the other OSes / devices catch up in the ways that you feel webOS is better, and you can just move on then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenteeric View Post
    Title pretty much says it. I have wanted a pre for a long time now and am really close to getting one... but all this problems and palm not doing well and stepping up their game is making me worried. what should I do?
    I think you should buy to help Palm survive, but I would feel bad if I convinced you to buy a phone on a dead platform.

I would try it for 30 days and see what you think. Just know there is a risk involved.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If you like the phone and you're okay with the apps that are currently available, then I don't see why not.

One, it's not like Palm is just going to disappear overnight, they've still got cash on hand to last them a little while.

Two, even with the news, if you feel the platform is the best fit for you, that's not going to change even if they did go out of business. If they do, hopefully the other OSes / devices catch up in the ways that you feel webOS is better, and you can just move on then.
    Well put.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Yes, do it. Its an elegant phone and we all like it, Engadget just wrote an impassioned plea to PALM to market better.
    Phone price is cheap now; if you get it and don't like it, you can always return within 30 days.
    That's up to you in the end. I hope Palm really goes all out to advertise their awesome OS. Palm recently redesigned their homepage showcasing all the Twitter, Facebook, and other social media stuff. That's nice, but is that what Palm really wants to push? Why not push webOS's ability to consolidate all emails, contacts, and calendars into one page?

If Palm goes all out in advertising I think they can recover. I truly enjoy my Pre and I know my wife feels the same of her Pixi. No matter what happens to Palm I do not regret buying both of their webOS devices.

My recommendation is buy.
  8.    #8  
    See I don't want to leave verizon for the iphone. Droid phones don't really look good to me and feel laggy and not really fun to use. even thought both have much more apps. I just don't see a better phone on verizon right now
    If you like it, it looks like it will work well for you, and you understand that it's not going to be the "perfect" phone in some ways, I'd say go for it. Not like it's a new car or something, or a house in a new subdivision. I bought my Pre, even though there was some negative press, and I've been very happy so far. You've done your homework, go with what you know.
    Buy Buy Buy if you don't like it you have 30 days to return.
    If you like the phone, why not?

When I compared the Pre to the other Sprint offerings a couple of months ago, it was clearly the best phone for me. So I bought it. If Palm dies, those facts won't change. I'll still have the phone that is most appropriate for me.

I didn't sign on to a lifelong commitment to WebOS by buying this phone. When I'm eligible for an upgrade two years from now, I'll again pick the best phone for me.

If Palm dies, I really don't see how that will affect me. Updates to the OS would be nice, but the phone works great as is. I have the apps I need, though a SIP phone client would be nice.

The only thing I can see that would affect me would be problems getting a warranty replacement. Given that the warranty is 1 year, and that Palm has enough cash to stick around for at least that long, I'm not too worried about this.

So if you like the Pre Plus better than the other Verizon offerings. Buy it.
    My 2 cents.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Try for 30.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    palm HAS stepped up there game, whenever palm pre first came out, there was no copy and paste, video recording, yahoo messenger, no 3d games, and no flash(which is coming soon) all the others ones they had in less than nine months, I'd say they've done a ton of work and will continue to make webos better, I say BUY!
    Palm will not go away, and if they get into that much trouble they have too many smartphoned based patents to completely disappear. They probably get bought out by someone or be taken over and keep their name. But go away I just can't see it happening anytime in the near future.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    If you like the phone and think you will enjoy it -- think about the worse possible thing that could happen?

On the other hand, you could buy another phone that you do not like -- at best you have a phone you do not like.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

+1 on all points made here, especially the bolded.
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
    If you want a phone that does not have customer service or newer APPS & Games in 6 months or so then BUY.

If not
    STAY AWAY!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    If you want a phone that does not have customer service or newer APPS & Games in 6 months or so then BUY.

If not
    STAY AWAY!!!!
    Verizon won't be around in 6 months?
    Even if Palm went bankrupt, that doesn't mean they go away. Companies frequently go belly up, then return to full service and prosper.
    Buy it. It's the best phone I've ever owned.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast