Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Is up and I'm infuriated that this is what it's all come down to. What ambivalent marketing.
    Can you share the link?
    I know it's a lot of work going to Engadget.com and then loading up the very first article on the site, also shown in the featured stories section, but really?

Palm: this is your survival guide -- Engadget
    Engadget is right and I wish Palm will start listening
    I swear Palm has monkeys working on their marketing team. I can't believer that everyone else sees what needs to happen but palm.
    Here is to hope...
    Back to your bridge evil troll you have no powers here.
    I found this analysis more meaningful and reasonable than Gizmodo's, and so I'm joining others in a boycott of the latter. I'm taking Gizmodo off my RSS feeds, and will ignore them post haste. Of course, they'll be crushed, but...

More seriously, I think Engadget makes some good points. I've been in support of some of Palm's decisions, and I'm starting to rethink them a bit. I do believe that Palm hasn't received a great deal of support from their carrier partners, and the tech media hasn't been very fair and even-handed in my opinion. But, that doesn't entirely account for a potential million-unit inventory backlog and such a bad sell-through--Palm has clearly done some things right (the PDK, the openness of the developer program, webOS overall), but they've also done some things wrong (advertising, not resolving obvious performance issues).

However, it's entirely moot: Palm is where it's at regardless of the reasons why, and I think Engadget makes some good points about what Palm must do if they have any chance of surviving. However, I'm also coming to the conclusion that there might not be anything Palm can do to survive, and that an acquisition is likely regardless. I haven't given up completely, but in spite of the great things that my Pre can do, there are a number of things it can't do and may never get the developer support to make possible.

I'm terribly disappointed, I must say. My Pre is the best mobile gadget I've owned, but without a clear path for continued development I'm almost forced to start considering other options. Too bad there aren't any better than webOS.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Josh T. stated everything I believe for Palm in this article.

I am very impressed, and he hit every note dead on.

Palm needs to restructure. Fast
    Many have said the same things in these forums.
    I am sad if Palm release Sprint as a front runner early release carrier...but honestly, that's what must be done.

sprint has no $$ for advertsiment, while the other 2 does (verizon and ATT)

sad, but true... --still love the sprint prices though
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    What we need is for Conan O'Brien to endorse this thing.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    The article reads like the daily grind of "Whaaaaaaa Palm didn't do it right whaaaaaaaa" threads here on the PC forums. Nothing new is said, nothing new is suggested, and it's just a recap of the "should have done..." comments since the Pre's release.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Many have said the same things in these forums.
    Many have said lots of things in this forum. Some of it's been reasonable and stated in a constructive tone, some of it's been unreasonable and shrill. Much of what Palm has done right has been ignored by some, while what Palm has done wrong has been highlighted to the point where a visit to this forum was probably enough turn away a number of people who might have purchased a webOS device.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said, but there are positive and negative ways of expressing things. If you read this forum at times, you'd think that the Pre and Pixi and webOS and Palm were the worst afflictions ever to be unleashed on the human race.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    what i find difficult to understand is why palm though it would be such a good idea to invest sssooooo much equity into making devices, without justifiable cause, i mean, to have hundreds of thousands of palm pre's out their, is cash in assets they cannot afford, and couldn't really afford last quarter when they decided to make them!!!!

I love the pre, and webOS, but i think they need to seriously look at their supply chain, align with better partners, and initiate a leaner pull system. I mean here in the UK organisations are more and more relying on technology to allocate their supply needs, thus freeing up liquid capitol and allowing for both better allocation of resources and concentration on core competencies!

So now palm needs to release the cash held in the current devices (ie sell them for as near to cost as possible) and release a new device, but instead of filling the shelves with them, only make what is ordered!Thus only spending what is needed!!

either this or try to get bought out, preferably by a company with too much money, and too little presence in the smartphone market, and not someone just after the patents!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm terribly disappointed, I must say. My Pre is the best mobile gadget I've owned, but without a clear path for continued development I'm almost forced to start considering other options. Too bad there aren't any better than webOS.
    I was just thinking this today that if for my next phone there isn't a webos phone available, I really don't know what I would pick. Nothing else really looks as appealing.
    People act like running a tech company is as easy as they make it sound. Dropping their current plans (which we are not sure of) to spend $ in developing something else is not without challenges.

Dropping the Pixi is a dumb idea! The best approach is to put the same processor on it and market it alongside the Pre.

Partnering with Sprint wasnt a choice, but a lack of choice. Palm was considered dead by many, and thus no other carrier would give them the time of day. Verizon was still in bed with Verizon, AT&T with iPhone, and T-Mobile was probably not going to provide any better of a situation than Sprint...since it had Android's first device and the Sidekick.

The only thing Palm can do now is to put more masculine (or gender-neutral) marketing out and improve the hardware for the next gen devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Many have said lots of things in this forum. Some of it's been reasonable and stated in a constructive tone, some of it's been unreasonable and shrill. Much of what Palm has done right has been ignored by some, while what Palm has done wrong has been highlighted to the point where a visit to this forum was probably enough turn away a number of people who might have purchased a webOS device.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said, but there are positive and negative ways of expressing things. If you read this forum at times, you'd think that the Pre and Pixi and webOS and Palm were the worst afflictions ever to be unleashed on the human race.
    I think people are just trying to share their views of palm and webOS, and currently the future of palm is questionable, therefore people who are passionate about both palm and webOS, are expressing concerns and feelings about how the company could have/should have done better...because it is an AWESOME device and OS.

So opposed to the negativity being solely whining...i think is more like people just discussing something they love, and dont want to see disappear (hence all of the suggestions on what they could/should do/have done to succeed)

thats my interpretation anyway....
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    I was just thinking this today that if for my next phone there isn't a webos phone available, I really don't know what I would pick. Nothing else really looks as appealing.
    I have EXACTLY this same dilemma...where would you turn if palm sinks?hmmm.........
    I'm surprised noone is picking some of his points though. Most i agree with except:

I don't agree with Sprint being a culprit in this. Obviously Verizon didn't exactly offer to launch it. Sprint had the most Palm OS customers. Sprint had the cheapest plans (big big advantage) and a decent network. Heck, i wouldn't even have bought a Pre if not on Sprint.

The mistake was 6 months. It's either not long enough to do an exclusive justice or it's too long if their real goal is to hit many carriers asap. I don't get doing the latter with first gen hardware and 1.x software and not much cash. That's trying to grow up too fast.

And what does engadget mean by "Oh, and don't release it (new hardware) on Sprint... even if it's got WiMAX"??? Well ok Engadget. Where should they release it? Verizon? They're Droid happy with sales people bent on pushing android. Let's not forget how V killed Palm (and its brand a bit) with the dreadful Mom ads. AT&T? Iphone happy and paying them a premium to sell iphones. TMobile? Yeah right.

Other than that, they go on too much about the Pixi but finally nailed the best reason. Had nothing to do with iphone or Eris. It's simply a bad idea to target the low end, used up resources, and it distracted Palm from focusing on the Pre and webOS. Too soon to support two handsets. Bad name.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast