Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    what i find difficult to understand is why palm though it would be such a good idea to invest sssooooo much equity into making devices, without justifiable cause, i mean, to have hundreds of thousands of palm pre's out their, is cash in assets they cannot afford, and couldn't really afford last quarter when they decided to make them!!!!
    It's really very simple: Palm overestimated demand, specifically the impact that going to Verizon would have on sales. And I don't think it's terribly surprising: the Droid really did kind of come out of nowhere and gained far more success than might have been expected. I mean, I certainly wouldn't have expected it to outsell the iPhone. No Android device to date had been nearly so successful.

I think more than anything, that's the factor that's killing Palm. Absent the Droid, the Pre Plus would have sold incredibly well--at least the million or so units that the Droid sold in its first 75 days or whatever. And if it had done so, we'd all be having a very different discussion.

Note that I'm not trying to make that into an excuse: it's reality, and there's nothing that can be done about it now. But it does explain how palm could have so seriously overestimated how many units it could sell.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    i just read it and they are pretty much spot on. it is amazing that you dont think palm execs not seeing this and making changes when needed. the advertising... lol they mention the borg lady... or 'cell' lady. funny who the director of those ads were. and the other comment... kill the pixi... so right on with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    what i find difficult to understand is why palm though it would be such a good idea to invest sssooooo much equity into making devices, without justifiable cause, i mean, to have hundreds of thousands of palm pre's out their, is cash in assets they cannot afford, and couldn't really afford last quarter when they decided to make them!!!!

I love the pre, and webOS, but i think they need to seriously look at their supply chain, align with better partners, and initiate a leaner pull system. I mean here in the UK organisations are more and more relying on technology to allocate their supply needs, thus freeing up liquid capitol and allowing for both better allocation of resources and concentration on core competencies!

So now palm needs to release the cash held in the current devices (ie sell them for as near to cost as possible) and release a new device, but instead of filling the shelves with them, only make what is ordered!Thus only spending what is needed!!

either this or try to get bought out, preferably by a company with too much money, and too little presence in the smartphone market, and not someone just after the patents!!!
    What are they supposed to do when Verizon makes a big order of the devices and then doesn't hold up their end of the bargain in trying to actually sell them?
    I think that it's not quite so much that it can't be on Sprint for the next device, but I think Palm needs to do similar to the Nexus One with any new device... get it on all the carriers, at as close to the same time as possible, and maybe release an unlocked GSM directly from their own site.

Anyway, I agree with cardfan that the issue wasn't so much that they launched with Sprint, but that it should've probably been 3 months exclusivity, not 6.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Yep. Josh hit the nails on the head. I agree 100%.
    3 Important point where Palm failed and are mentioned by Engadget:

1. The hardware: Worst than bad and we all agree.
    2. The commercials and marketing: I haven't seen worst advertisement than this.
    3. No SDK and PDK for many many months. How are you supposed to get apps if there is no SDK??? Come on Palm..!!!
    maybe they should sell gsm versions for 150 get em sold around the country to get that money. alot of countries are wanting the pre
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    It's really very simple: Palm overestimated demand, specifically the impact that going to Verizon would have on sales. And I don't think it's terribly surprising: the Droid really did kind of come out of nowhere and gained far more success than might have been expected. I mean, I certainly wouldn't have expected it to outsell the iPhone. No Android device to date had been nearly so successful.

I think more than anything, that's the factor that's killing Palm. Absent the Droid, the Pre Plus would have sold incredibly well--at least the million or so units that the Droid sold in its first 75 days or whatever. And if it had done so, we'd all be having a very different discussion.

Note that I'm not trying to make that into an excuse: it's reality, and there's nothing that can be done about it now. But it does explain how palm could have so seriously overestimated how many units it could sell.
    This is my point...if they employ a push system, it leaves room for variability in demand, but a pull system wouldnt....i agree with alot of the comments on this and other threads, but i think that the supply chain is the major culprit, and therefore the solution!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

I don't agree with Sprint being a culprit in this. Obviously Verizon didn't exactly offer to launch it. Sprint had the most Palm OS customers. Sprint had the cheapest plans (big big advantage) and a decent network. Heck, i wouldn't even have bought a Pre if not on Sprint.

And what does engadget mean by "Oh, and don't release it (new hardware) on Sprint... even if it's got WiMAX"??? Well ok Engadget. Where should they release it? Verizon? They're Droid happy with sales people bent on pushing android. Let's not forget how V killed Palm (and its brand a bit) with the dreadful Mom ads. AT&T? Iphone happy and paying them a premium to sell iphones. TMobile? Yeah right.
    Couldn't agree with you more. A lot of people think that the launch on Sprint was a mistake. Maybe it was their only option. Itís possible that Palm pitched the Pre to all the major carriers in the US before it launched. Maybe Sprint was the only carrier to see the potential in the Pre and backed Palm with some money.

After all the other carriers already had flagship smart phone devices. The iPhone is the Apple of AT&Tís eye, Verizon has the Storm and was more than likely developing the Droid brand, and T-Mobile has the MyTouch. Sprint was the only on left out of the game; the Instinct is not a contender in this arena.
    I agree with many points in the article but the sprint bashing. Sprint is best for palm in a number of ways and have always been close. Sprint will peddle palm products better and with more zeal than other carriers. But they do need to release another device soon and on asmany carriers as close together as possible.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I agree with everything in that article, excellent points, and while I love Sprint I even agree with that point because it is true.

I hope Palm survives, I surely do, and I hope they put out an awesome phone with all the hardware issues learned from the original Pre. Was I a beta tester? yes. Am I upset? Only if they don't release a stellar device with awesome specs and build to REPLACE this Pre.

WebOS is great and I hope they can continue to build on it with awesome phones because it has only gotten better.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I know people keep saying how could the execs not see this. I've seen this firsthand, but many execs who hold the decision making power are either too stubborn, too cocky, or too conservative to make the necessary decisions that would have resulted in a different ie. see the old Sony Ericsson.
    and the old IBM
    i see some **** hurt palmists here, but engadget is right, palm blows as a company. i love my pre plus, but it wont survive the year.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Honestly, when Sprint released the Pre I thought it was a girl's phone. That creepy lady advertising instantly created a stigma that it was a feminine device. When it released on Verizon I had to do my own research to figure out that it's a pretty awesome device and I got one. The Engadget article is spot on about the feminine advertising. That killed everything.
    Look at the iPhone commercials. They all show close-ups of the phone in action. Simple, to the point. Show your strengths, like multitasking, notifications, browser, universal search, gestures, etc.
    I agree. I really don't understand why Gizmodo's articles are so full of negativity. I thought the one written by Josh Topolsky was well written and had some insightful points. Palm does have a great OS and a great piece of hardware, its such a shame that it hasn't caught on the way it needs to.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CarloJ View Post
    i see some **** hurt palmists here, but engadget is right, palm blows as a company. i love my pre plus, but it wont survive the year.
    Anyone who disagrees with the fact Palm did a TERRIBLE job as a company is just a major fan boy.

While they did make some decent decisions, they failed at so many opportunities to really build the company it isn't even funny. If they do fail, IMO they deserve to at this point, but I surely hope that isn't the case. It is pure capitalism... you fail at that then you deserve to die as a company and anyone who gets **** hurt over that needs to really grow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    What we need is for Conan O'Brien to endorse this thing.
    Bingo!!

Think about it....you get any one product with the right particular celebrity....instant street cred and viral ability.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Better marketing and some hot hardware and all will be OK. After staying for years with Nextel until coming into the 21st century with Palm, I'll ride for them until the end. Android doesn't have exactly what I want, and neither does Apple. Here's hoping Palm gets well and survives.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    No. Sprint is MUCH better.

Sprint advertised WebOS more than Palm did... tenfold.
    Verizon made it for moms?

Remember that Sprint commercial about dunkin donuts in space? It shows the guy with BIG cards multitasking.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast