1.    #1  
    I'll admit that when thinking about what smart phone I want, I think either blackberry or iphone. Palm never really crossed my mind.

But I was watching a video review of the Palm Pre Plus on youtube, and I was floored. I thought, here's a phone, which can multitask, like my blackberry, has a better looking, smoother browser than even the iphone, and loads up videos on youtube in a much higher quality than I've EVER seen on a phone.....what the heck am I waiting for?

I am with T-Mobile right now, and I use a blackberry curve 8900 which I think is a great phone, but I'm beginning to really feel the lack of a good browser. My contract isn't up until late September of this year , but I am really liking this phone.

However, I'm sure as always, there will be some features that I will miss that I have on the blackberry. Off the top of my head I can immediately name PIN messaging and Blackberry Messenger which are of course exclusive to blackberry users. I often use my blackberry to listen to pandora via my A2DP headphones, while downloading multiple mp3 files from my browser, and chatting via yahoo messenger, google talk, windows live messenger, texting, emailing....although the multitasking abilities of the Pre Plus are renowned, I wonder if I really can do all that.

I would love to hear your thoughts, and would also love to hear if any of you have moved from a new blackberry (not the old 83xx curves, or pearls..but rather the 8900, 9000, 9700, Storms...) to the Palm Pre Plus.
    Hey there, and welcome to our forum.

First of all I would direct you to Crackberry Kevins review of the Pre at this years Smart Phone Round Robin. You will get a in depth review from a BB user, which may prove helpful to you.

You can find the review here: Palm webOS, Pre and Pixi from the Perspective of a BlackBerry User, Smartphone Round Robin | CrackBerry.com

As a Pre user, I can't speak for the Pre+ but I would say that you can definitely listen to Pandora while downloading files and chatting/texting. One thing which I love about webOS is that the native messaging app is very good at pulling all conversations into one view. For instance, when you select the messages icon, it will bring up all your conversations in one view (I have my texts and google chat). I don't know if your BB has the same view, but for what you are looking to do it sounds like the Pre might be the phone for you.

That said it isn't perfect. But what is?

Keep in mind, that review was written by someone who breathes, sleeps and eats BB. You should also read the Pre+ review on www.precentral.net
  3.    #3  
    That review mostly seems to deal with the Pre only, not the Pre Plus, though there is a small section on it. When you say it's not perfect, what do you find are the shortcomings of the pre plus?
    the pre and the pre+ is pretty much the same except from a hardware point of view where it is slightly different as far as they dropped the button and doubled the ram and memory, along with having mifi. so what ever Kevin said on his reviews would also kinda apply on both.
    coming from BB, the biggest thing I think you're going to grapple with is battery life. Especially in the first few weeks of using the phone, when it's just too enticing to put down.

A spare battery and/or a touchstone go a long way to helping with that, but nonetheless, battery life is probably the Pre's achilles heel.

There's also speed issues that you'll contend with starting out on WebOS, even on the Pre+. A lot of this is alleviated by changing how you use the device: Leave Cards Open; particularly Calendar and E-mail. WebOS is truly designed to MULTI-task; and that means leaving apps open. If you force it to Uni-task, it'll seem slow to you.

Truth be told, it took me months to truly put this into practice, but now that I do, I find WebOS to be lightning quick.

Other than that, you'll be contending with an OS that's rapidly evolving, and with each step, there are hiccups; like photos disappearing, or the video recording app being buggy.

Palm has been VERY responsive with updates (I think we average almost one a month.) and each brings speed and battery life improvements, with many adding great new features (like video recording!). Most noticeably when a major new feature is added, there tends to be a bit of a decline in stability, but all in all, each update does make the system even better. That said, in comparison to the BB OS, which is quite mature, it is less stable.

Just bear those things in mind, and you won't have any rude surprises. And don't let it discourage you: I LOVE my Pre. It's incredible to me how intuitive the design is. For example...I use an exchange global addressbook for work. I can type the name of ANYONE on the addressbook from the launcher screen, and universal search will immediately begin an autoserach. No added clicks. It's pretty amazing the first time you see it.

Hope it helps.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Blackberry User myself, had a Pearl and a Storm. When the Pre Plus came to Verizon I jumped on it and will never look back. WebOs is by far better than the Blackberry Os. You won't miss anything about the Berry, WebOs covers the E-mail, Im Chat, SMS and MMS just as well, The Browser is as good as Safari on the Iphone. You will not be sorry. Battery isn't really that bad, I do some internet, News, calls and about 4 to 5 hours of music and podcasts at work and still have 25 percent battery when I get home. Just buy an extra charger for at work.
    I have a Blackberry Tour through Verizon as my work phone and a Pre with Sprint as my personal phone. I've had 3 Blackberrys for work now. Other than email, to me the Pre blows the BB out of the water for me. If I could get Exchange to work on my Pre I would drop the BB, but my company blocks me from getting emails from Exchange on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    i'm also coming from several years of having blackberries (8730, 8130, storm) and i couldn't be happier making the switch. the only two things i miss are battery life, which is the same as i had with the storm but worse than other bb's, and the blackberry messenger. i think the messenger will become less and less of an issue as more people begin to leave rim products for android, hopefully more webos, and the iphone. go for the pre in either form and you will not be sorry.
    I pretty much will say ditto to everything everyone has said, but I would like to point out that while the Pre never enters anyones minds, when you actually see what it can do, it is very impressive. Too bad no one knows about this. /rant
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by ksc6000 View Post
    I am with T-Mobile right now, and I use a blackberry curve 8900 which I think is a great phone, but I'm beginning to really feel the lack of a good browser. My contract isn't up until late September of this year , but I am really liking this phone.
    FYI The 8900 is only a 2G device. The browser on the 9700 isn't brilliant but the 3G radio will at least allow you to download stuff faster.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Upgrading from a blackberry is actually an excellent thing to do.

Pros coming from BB: Multitask efficiently, Touchscreen, Very slick browser, High Resolution, More colors than Iphone, great 3D games, quite powerful (Plus is atleast, lol).

Cons coming from BB: Keyboard not already out (sliding up can get annoying), can be sluggish sometimes, not as reliable (I think so atleast), and an UNCOMPARABLE battery.

I have a Pre on the Sprint and I've had it do some funky things. From slowing down to not responding for quite a bit. The boot time for my Pre on Sprint is 1min40sec.
    Otherwise, it has MANY more features. 3D games are a plus, browser is one of the best on a wide range of phones, and a great community with homebrew, patches, etc.

You can even get the 720/800 patch when it comes out for top knotch speeds. My phone wasn't sluggish on the 720 patch and it may have gotten more stable because of the speed.

However, for the battery you can opt for a touchstone (I don't know how they work), or just get an extended battery.
    If you do get an extended battery, I would suggest the 1400 mAH one or something like that. It basically gives you 20%-30% extra battery without adding more "back" to your Pre.
    With that, you can keep your stock battery as an extra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Upgrading from a blackberry is actually an excellent thing to do.

Pros coming from BB: Multitask efficiently, Touchscreen, Very slick browser, High Resolution, More colors than Iphone, great 3D games, quite powerful (Plus is atleast, lol).
    Multi-tasking is no less efficient on a BB than the Pre. Its definitely not as pretty though. The screen resolution of the 9700 (and I think 8900) is higher than the Pre.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksc6000 View Post
    I would love to hear your thoughts, and would also love to hear if any of you have moved from a new blackberry (not the old 83xx curves, or pearls..but rather the 8900, 9000, 9700, Storms...) to the Palm Pre Plus.
    You will miss the email and keyboard. But you will be surprised at the Browser, the multitouch and the visual mutitasking. BB has multitasking , but you have no idea about the opened apps (active and background). You can see all the running apps on the Pre. They go from active (maximized) to card (minimized) view.
    Boot times......honestly, I haven't sat down with a timer and done multiple tests to get an average, but I know its way lower than the 1:40 quoted above for me. Still slow, but I don't find it to be any slower than an older PalmOS phone, and definitely faster than my 800w WinMo phone. Slower than BB's yes.

Other things you might miss have already been stated, but YMMV. I'm a medium-light user, probably a hour or so of calling per day, screen brightness adjusted relatively low with a short turn-off time, wifi and GPS off if I'm not actively using them, and my battery life is fine. That's more in how you have the phone set than a hardware issue, IMO. If you're a heavy user, consider another charger, but even my BB using friends have at least two, one at home, and one at work. I've got two myself, a Touchstone at home, and a car charger for on the go stuff where I'll be in low signal areas for a good chunk of my time.

One thing I can say, not from me, but from a good friend I trust. His company just switched him from a BB to a Nexus One, and he hates it. Not really an Android hater post, just something to think about, since it seems to be a common problem that Verizon stores mostly share........Droid over Pre. I'm sure you've read about that here already. If you haven't, you just did. /grin

I'm really happy with my Sprint Pre. Give it some time to sink in, there is a short learning curve, but if you've got the slightest bit of techie in you, it'll grow on you pretty darn quickly. Plus, we have that thriving little group of homebrew app and patch developers that put out stuff that can add things you might like.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    You will miss the email and keyboard. But you will be surprised at the Browser, the multitouch and the visual mutitasking. BB has multitasking , but you have no idea about the opened apps (active and background). You can see all the running apps on the Pre. They go from active (maximized) to card (minimized) view.
    Completely untrue. On a Bold 9700 you just hold down the BB key to see the running tasks and swipe the touchpad to switch tasks. For older BBs, just reassign one of the convenience keys to pop up the task switcher.
    BB has a bit higher resolution.. 480x360 as opposed to Pre's 480x320 but the Pre's display is 24-bit 16M color whereas the BB is only 65K color. Huge difference... in color.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Well, multitasking is great and all on BB. But I think it's just more fluid on a Pre.
    My bad on the resolution mistake. I didn't know.