1.    #1  
    I've got to admit...I'm a little shocked. I got my Palm Pre (coming from the very bug ridden Nexus One) and I love it. Sure it's not 100% perfect, but neither is any phone/computer or other gadget i've ever had. It is the best fit for me right now, and works better than any phone i've had.

What shocks me is the overall negative tone of these boards. It's almost like most people here actually want issues so they can complain about them. Just looking over the thread titles and you'll see very few actual technical tips,tricks or suggestions. It's mostly rant after rant, mostly based on little insight. Don't get me wrong, anyone is free to rant anywhere they want. I'm just a little shocked and wonder if this is the standard for the entire Palm community. If so, it might explain why they've always struggled.
    Quote Originally Posted by omeyga View Post
    I've got to admit...I'm a little shocked. I got my Palm Pre (coming from the very bug ridden Nexus One) and I love it. Sure it's not 100% perfect, but neither is any phone/computer or other gadget i've ever had. It is the best fit for me right now, and works better than any phone i've had.

What shocks me is the overall negative tone of these boards. It's almost like most people here actually want issues so they can complain about them. Just looking over the thread titles and you'll see very few actual technical tips,tricks or suggestions. It's mostly rant after rant, mostly based on little insight. Don't get me wrong, anyone is free to rant anywhere they want. I'm just a little shocked and wonder if this is the standard for the entire Palm community. If so, it might explain why they've always struggled.
    what problems did you have with the nexus one as I will be converting from my pre to the nexus one or supersonic as soon as they are available.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    You have to take these boards with a grain of salt. I for one, love my Pre. I've had it since it launched on Sprint. You will notice there are a lot more people complaining about the Pre than praising it because those who love it don't feel the urge to post daily threads about how much they love their Pre's, unlike all of the people who dislike their Pre experience.

I wouldn't give up my Pre for the world and I know many here feel the same. The Pre is the first phone I have owned that I have truly been happy with. I am lost without it. Even my friends and family have mentioned how much more organized I am thanks to my Pre, and every time someone calls it a toy, I correct them by telling them it is a tool, not a toy.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I seriously have been on these boards for about 2 days, while some member are helpful, the overall tone is VERY VERY negative. I am happy with my Pre for the most part, but if I had seen these boards last week, I wouldn't have bought it. Thus missing out on a good phone.
    -Andre
    Quote Originally Posted by espio View Post
    You have to take these boards with a grain of salt. I for one, love my Pre. I've had it since it launched on Sprint. You will notice there are a lot more people complaining about the Pre than praising it because those who love it don't feel the urge to post daily threads about how much they love their Pre's, unlike all of the people who dislike their Pre experience.

I wouldn't give up my Pre for the world and I know many here feel the same. The Pre is the first phone I have owned that I have truly been happy with. I am lost without it. Even my friends and family have mentioned how much more organized I am thanks to my Pre, and every time someone calls it a toy, I correct them by telling them it is a tool, not a toy.
    +1 What he said.

Negative press always makes the news. Positive press is the last to be heard, if ever.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I'd say that there are just as many tips and fixes posted as there are complaints. People like to throw up rant boards just to have something to talk about because they are too lazy to try and tweak what they have. A techie will love to mess with their product. I was dying to get my hands on the Pre after a few months of it's release (was waiting for upgrade money) simply because of the homebrew community that sprung up after it came out. It got me interested in fooling around with my electronic devices again. I'd say now, because of various patches and tweaks, I could blow any iphone or google phone lover away. The only thing they can really wow me with is their barcode scanner, google nav, and streetview. But even streetview isn't available on all Google phones. WebOS isn't getting all the love because of competition, but it is WAY more capable than all of the phones out there.
    People who post positive threads often get labeled as over-zealous fans or Palm apologists. Its really unfair, as I am a Palm fan and have been mostly satisfied with my Pre on Sprint since June 6 2009.

Like others have said, complainers are often the louder in any group...well, maybe every group except Apple!
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by espio View Post

+1
    I see what you are talking about, but most of the negative threads are started by people with a very low post count. Most of these people don't seem to stick around. Don't let those people get you down. Above all, don't feed the trolls.

e_t
    Squeaky wheels make the most noise.

(my take on an old saying)
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Sure Palm has its build quality issues but on balance once you are a Palm person, it is hard to go anywhere else. I have had issues with all my Palm devices but I suspect all devices have their share of issues. That has not stopped me from moving up the Palm food chain. I am a little concerned now though because Palm has a very good product and they are moving backwards in the market. Thave been putting Palm in the coffin for some time now but only time will tell if it is for real this time.

By the way I love my device.
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    I agree I wish there was a seperate section for rants. If I would have read this site before I purchased the Pre I would have not purchased it. Which would have been a mistake. I know realize that most of those people expect perfection. There is no phone out there that is perfect. if there is then they should go buy that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by edit_text View Post
    I see what you are talking about, but most of the negative threads are started by people with a very low post count. Most of these people don't seem to stick around. Don't let those people get you down. Above all, don't feed the trolls.

e_t
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    People who post positive threads often get labeled as over-zealous fans or Palm apologists. Its really unfair, as I am a Palm fan and have been mostly satisfied with my Pre on Sprint since June 6 2009.

Like others have said, complainers are often the louder in any group...well, maybe every group except Apple!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    +1 What he said.

Negative press always makes the news. Positive press is the last to be heard, if ever.
    +1 to all these
    OMEYGA - Gave a thanks to you for the good observation with such a short history on the forum.
    It would be nice to see a less negative attitude. At least if there is an issue for a new thread is should be more like I am having trouble with ... instead of my phone s**ks and I'm ready to get a different phone. Every phone has issues. Heck the best selling brand, the iPhone can't even do "true" multi-task, and apple keeps breaking the homebrew.

As far as my Pre or my wifes - we love them. It is great to be using the first generation product of a new OS and Palm hardware redesign.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Just remember, PreCentral is just a small percentage of actual owners. Of course, the majority are coming here to hopefully ask a question, and solve a problem. Actually, that's why I'm here, myself, I've been a longtime member of TreoCentral, and a quick search before buying my Pre led me here.

Just like any other product, you're going to get people who just want to complain for the sake of complaining. You know darn well they're not going to take the advice given, they expected perfection right out of the box. Others come in *****y, take the advice given, and either walk away happy, knowing they can come back any time with a problem, or they stay around to learn more.

Don't let it bother you. Go hit up the iPhone and Android fan forums if you want a real chuckle. Here, we gots some skilz, dawg. That means we know what we're doing. Just in case that lapse into Xzibit at his worst confused you.
    I don't think anyone has a problem with people posting about issues, but not everyone needs to start a new thread. I'm not perfect, I've done it too. I can also somewhat understand if a similar thread has been buried a few pages back, but at least scan the first few pages. Even better, search!

e_t
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for all the responses. As mentioned, I came from Android, and for the most part it's the exact opposite. On their forums they wouldn't admit to a problem if the phones blew apart on bootup.

dkotoric1 - I had numerous problems, as do the two others I know that have the N1.

-The overall flow of Android.

-Frequent (and I mean frequent) calibration issues. The odd part is that you can fix them with simple stuff like putting the phone to sleep and waking it back up....but a few txt's later they come right back.

-Odd 3-4 second delays when making or receiving calls. It connects, but the people can't hear you and you can't hear them.....Except when sending/receiving calls to another N1 owner, then the delay balances out, LOL.

-Call quality issues. Constant complaints from the people I called. They always complained of frequent garbles that randomly appear. And I know this isn't Tmobile because i'd been with them for years. Now that i'm on a Pre that went away. Ironically I was talking to a buddy today and he was on his N1...I noticed it.

-Poor poor poor bluetooth reception. Also the only phone i've had that wouldn't pair with my car. Well, it would pair, but then it would disconnect itself and repair. So every 45 seconds I got to hear "connection complete"

-Frequent issues with poorly written apps causing problems that would drag down the entire phone OS.

-Frequent issues where I would receive a call while the phone had been asleep. It would ring, but I couldn't get the screen to respond, nothing I did would make it function. After the call was missed, mysteriously everything started working again. This happened frequently if the Nexus One Dock was used.

-Frequent lag in the OS. Which I found so odd because of all the power that phone is supposed to have.

In my opinion the entire experience is very subpar and I frequently make the comparison to Windows Vista because I think it fits perfectly. So happy I got my Pre. But like the one poster mentioned, had I have read these boards first, I would have probably been scared off. Glad I didn't, because this is the best phone i've ever had!
    I too had a nexus one before getting my pre. I would not recommend that phone to anyone. It was a huge headache.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I have to agree about some of the negativity, and actual immaturity of some posters. I have had my Pre for 6 weeks. I noticed quite a few shortcomings initially, and was thinking of making the switch. I was trashed here for asking why I should keep my Pre. I too almost ditched it, but after using it for the 30 days, then picking up a friend's Droid, there was no way I was going to switch.

Fortunately there are some great patch developers who have greatly increased the functionality for me. I am hooked!
    Quote Originally Posted by omeyga View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. As mentioned, I came from Android, and for the most part it's the exact opposite. On their forums they wouldn't admit to a problem if the phones blew apart on bootup.

dkotoric1 - I had numerous problems, as do the two others I know that have the N1.

-The overall flow of Android.

-Frequent (and I mean frequent) calibration issues. The odd part is that you can fix them with simple stuff like putting the phone to sleep and waking it back up....but a few txt's later they come right back.

-Odd 3-4 second delays when making or receiving calls. It connects, but the people can't hear you and you can't hear them.....Except when sending/receiving calls to another N1 owner, then the delay balances out, LOL.

-Call quality issues. Constant complaints from the people I called. They always complained of frequent garbles that randomly appear. And I know this isn't Tmobile because i'd been with them for years. Now that i'm on a Pre that went away. Ironically I was talking to a buddy today and he was on his N1...I noticed it.

-Poor poor poor bluetooth reception. Also the only phone i've had that wouldn't pair with my car. Well, it would pair, but then it would disconnect itself and repair. So every 45 seconds I got to hear "connection complete"

-Frequent issues with poorly written apps causing problems that would drag down the entire phone OS.

-Frequent issues where I would receive a call while the phone had been asleep. It would ring, but I couldn't get the screen to respond, nothing I did would make it function. After the call was missed, mysteriously everything started working again. This happened frequently if the Nexus One Dock was used.

-Frequent lag in the OS. Which I found so odd because of all the power that phone is supposed to have.

In my opinion the entire experience is very subpar and I frequently make the comparison to Windows Vista because I think it fits perfectly. So happy I got my Pre. But like the one poster mentioned, had I have read these boards first, I would have probably been scared off. Glad I didn't, because this is the best phone i've ever had!
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy96 View Post
    I too had a nexus one before getting my pre. I would not recommend that phone to anyone. It was a huge headache.
    Sounds like Android may not be all that it has been cracked up to be! Maybe Palm still has a chance considering the superiority of webOS in today's modern market.

I do think that it would be nice to have a lot of the people who complain on these forums to actually use the iPhone, Blackberry, and Android all at the same time as a Pre/Pixi.