Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    I have a new (yesterday) Palm Pre Plus on Verizon. I am reviewing the tips for extending battery life in a general forum thread that I can't link to because I"m too inexperienced at this point. :-)

It says that by leaving Wi-Fi ON, I can save my battery because it uses less juice than SPRINT's network...is this the same with Verizon? This is amazing....

It also says that choosing "As items arrive" uses LESS juice than other settings (assuming I'm not constantly getting email).

Both of these things are entirely counter to what I learned with my Samsung Omnia (WinMo). Is this true? If so....freakin awesome, even though I ran out of battery after three hours this morning, and am now trying to mess with the settings to maximize things....
    yes, because a low cell signal can drain your battery significantly. Having the wifi on will automatically jump onto trusted/open networks. Since webos can be data intensive, it will use the wifi connection to do all of it's data needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post
    I have a new (yesterday) Palm Pre Plus on Verizon. I am reviewing the tips for extending battery life in a general forum thread that I can't link to because I"m too inexperienced at this point. :-)

It says that by leaving Wi-Fi ON, I can save my battery because it uses less juice than SPRINT's network...is this the same with Verizon? This is amazing....

It also says that choosing "As items arrive" uses LESS juice than other settings (assuming I'm not constantly getting email).

Both of these things are entirely counter to what I learned with my Samsung Omnia (WinMo). Is this true? If so....freakin awesome, even though I ran out of battery after three hours this morning, and am now trying to mess with the settings to maximize things....
    Both of these strategies work for me. Your situation may be different because of the strength of you signal and the number of emails you receive.
    You are correct on both counts

Changing your email settings to "As Mail Arrives" enables something (which I'm sure you've heard of) called Push technology. The difference is that when Push is enabled, the phone waits for the server to tell it there is a new email. If you change the setting to "check every 30 minutes" then the phone is opening a connection, asking the server if there is a new message and then waiting for and downloading the response. Which, over the course of a day, uses considerable battery power.

The logic behind leaving Wifi on is two-fold: firstly it consumes less power than your cell radio (as groovdafied mentioned). Secondly it is usually faster so more data can be transferred in a shorter period of time, which saves battery.

(Beware of leaving Wifi on if you are not in range of a wifi signal though, because your phone will constantly be questing for a known network which will drain battery.)

Hope this helps you understand things a bit better.
    General battery saving tips for the PRE (and Plus)

1. Leave Wifi "ON" if you ae in areas where a Network can be reached/connected....Turn "OFF" if youre not.

2. Turn the brightness down

3. Only keep IM clients on when you need them, if not shut them off

4. Turn OFF Location services....and background data collection, This way the GPS is only running when you need it ala GPS Apps

There are more, but these are basic general rules for the PRE

Oh if you are using Wifi...turn OFF the Data Signal, its completely unnecessary and will save your battery more juice.
    I will agree that it is very dependent on your personal situation. Or me, I am not near WiFi at work, but I also keep a charger at work. So I leave it on. If I am not near a ccharger an I start getting low on battery I will turn it off. Fortunatly I am well covered by verizon in my area so it is rare for me to have less than 3 bars for more than a few min. Without a mid-day charge the phone is about 20% by midnight. However, I was killing my batt every 4 or 5 hours when I first got it. I just could not put the thing down.

e_t
    what if you have an account that doesn't need to be checked that often so you set the time to 12 hours -- how does this effect battery?