Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Noticed yesterday that my wife has somehow gotten a crack in her screen. Its possible she did it, its possible its a defect.. who knows. What are my options? At this point everything still works fine but I suspect it may spread onto the working area of the screen. (Currently its right on the edge in the middle - Opposite side of the USB charger).

I could sign up for TEP during their open enrollment, and have it replaced.. but then there is a $100 deductable? Lame..

I also read somewhere they would replace it for $120 without insurance with a refurb? Thats would be great if true because I'll just wait until it either completely fails or a new PRE comes out and replace it with that.

Buy one used? I think they are still going for too much $$ though.

Any thoughts? I've not interesting in keeping TEP since I haven't lost or broken a phone (Wife either) in the 12 years we have had them.. so its simply a waste. If the $120 refurb is true that should work, but can anyone confirm that?
    lol well, i actually haven't been able to use my pre for over a week now w/ a cracked screen, the screen itself is fine and so is the outside, it's that inbetween screen that handles the touch screen that is cracked so it sucks.

I enrolled w/ open enrollment last week after i cracked my screen. You have to wait 15 until you can open a claim and it's $100 to replace the phone. I really don't know if they send you a refurb or a new one, i'm hoping it's a new one. But i have to wait till the 26th before i can open a claim.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    If I can truly exchange for a refurb for $120 I don't know why anyone would want the insurance.
    i've never heard of exchanging it for $120, who told u this? That's a first for me, had i know this i would of just done that instead.

exchange for a new wife?....I would suggest a newer model if you do.
    I had a crack that started from the USB port and started to spread to the screen. Once it reached the screen I took it into to Sprint and they ordered a replacement on the spot and I didn't have to pay anything. I would recommend taking the phone to Sprint and see if they will order a replacement. When you go into Sprint I would also tell them that the touchscreen exhibits odd behavior sometimes. The rep who help me indicated this is common with the crack spreads to the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ev99wutang View Post
    I had a crack that started from the USB port and started to spread to the screen. Once it reached the screen I took it into to Sprint and they ordered a replacement on the spot and I didn't have to pay anything. I would recommend taking the phone to Sprint and see if they will order a replacement. When you go into Sprint I would also tell them that the touchscreen exhibits odd behavior sometimes. The rep who help me indicated this is common with the crack spreads to the screen.
    i will give this a try w/ my fiancee's pre because she has that infamous usb crack starting to spread, it's not big now but i think in the next 2 months that thing is going to eventually spread.

mine in the other hand, all cracks originated from center button, it's weird cause they all spred out but meet at center button. lol

I had a crack that originated from the center button and Sprint replaced my Pre.

Support - Article
    Go to a sprint store with a repair center in it, show them the crack, and as long as you kept your phone in decent condition, they will replace it for you. They did it for me yesterday, and i paid nothing. cracks within the phone screen unfortunately are a VERY common problem. i had a crack from the center button AND from the usb.. which i didnt mind, but they spread, then my touch screen wasnt working on some parts. Better to nip it in the **** now if you can, before it gets worse. the rep SHOULD know the common defects of the phone, so u shouldnt have an issue. and he did it for free for me, RIGHT on the spot, gave me another handset within 10 mins of walking in.. Hope that helps! Good Luck.

(Rep said that the insurance plan for $7 a month covers a lost or stolen phone, broken, whatever with $100 deductable... HOWEVER in-store, it covers normal wear and tear and problems with the device in general)

with that said, store is the best and fastest way to go!
    do it now. I just tried to replace mine with the same crack but my crack had gotten worse to the point that a chunk of plastic came out below the usb port and they wouldn't replace it w/o insurance.....when the chunk comes out you can clearly see why it cracks there...there is a support right there at the crack that holds the screen onto the slider....but with that plastic out they were steadfast in not replacing it.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I made my second trip to another Sprint Store. The repair representative told me he had received an email that a crack by the USB port does not qualify for a waranty replacement.

I've also called Palm and their rep told me the same thing.

So now I write letters to both and possibly file in small claims court.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by jhasty View Post
    I made my second trip to another Sprint Store. The repair representative told me he had received an email that a crack by the USB port does not qualify for a waranty replacement.

I've also called Palm and their rep told me the same thing.

So now I write letters to both and possibly file in small claims court.
    i guess if you really have time, i doubt that's really going to do anything though, best thing to do, is make the phone wobble, i had a co worker who had that usb crack and a wobble screen, she was able to get her replaced for free idk..

i just paid the 100

Yea wish I could fix mine myself and I wasn't lazy.