Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Seriously, I've been visiting the forum for the past 2 weeks, because I am eligible for an upgrade in Sprint next week. However, with all the threads about how bad palm is doing, how many bugs 1.4 has, how slow the OS is, how cheap the hardware is, how little apps the phone has... has really made me rethink my decision. I am slowly looking into the Blackberry Tour and the Hero now...

I hope most of these threads are exaggerations. I have played with the PRE and Pixi in stores for atleast 5 hours each... and I didn't notice problems..
    wow thanks guys another one bites the dust.... Smfh
    lol
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    So the reason Palm is failing is actually the Precentral forum? Oops.
    Quote Originally Posted by benly52 View Post
    I hope most of these threads are exaggerations. I have played with the PRE and Pixi in stores for atleast 5 hours each... and I didn't notice problems..
    Just look at it this way...there are hundreds of thousands of phones out there in use as of now, and EVERY SINGLE ISSUE anyone ever has gets reported here almost instantly.

Forums like this always get every single problem, and get very few posts from the hundreds of thousands of people with zero problems. The only people you find here are the biggest fans (very few relative to the number of users) and the people who have a problem and come looking for help (also very few relative to the number of users, but still enough to more than fill an online forum). I believe a statistician would call that "selection bias", if using this forum as poll upon which to form your opinion of the Pre.
    You'll see it on any forum. Most people only come on to complain, whether it's about something not working, or broken, or sometimes even user error, or whatever.

If you like the Pre, get it. If you don't, or if you have concerns of your own, don't. But don't necessarily let the opinions on the forum sway you (unless of course they pertain to your needs).

There were build quality issues at the beginning, but it's probably been a little amplified and overstated. Just don't leave the store until you're satisfied with what they're giving you, and you should be fine. I've had mine since June, and the only issue is that the power button popped off, which took 5 minutes at a Sprint store to get fixed.

The hardware (to me at least) doesn't feel cheap per se, it's just plastic. You'll notice a different feel than phones which are made of glass and metal, but it still is pretty solid (again, assuming you don't have any issues out of the box).

As for the apps, that's definitely subjective. While yes, it's a small number, it depends on what you need apps for if that matters or not.

And yes, 1.4 is a little buggy, but honestly, all OSes can have that issue. It's how proactive the company is in fixing them that matters, and in my opinion, Palm has been one of the (if not the) best at getting updates for bug fixes and lots of additional features out in a timely manner. It's been every 1-2 months, which is a faster pace than I've ever seen before at least.

But in the end, it's up to you. If you're concerned about things and feel that the Blackberry or something else would work better, try it out. One last thing to keep in mind is that you'll always have a 30 day return policy at I believe any of the 4 carriers, and what might be best is to try out the phone for a period and see how it works for you.
    Seriously, I've been visiting the forum for the past 2 weeks, because I am eligible for an upgrade in Sprint next week. However, with all the threads about how bad palm is doing, how many bugs 1.4 has, how slow the OS is, how cheap the hardware is, how little apps the phone has... has really made me rethink my decision. I am slowly looking into the Blackberry Tour and the Hero now...

I have a Tour and a Pre, for US travels I LOVE my Pre.

I have had it since last oct, and still on my first and only one. I have seen some videos of people that use their Pre and snap the thing open and closed with wreckless abandon treating it with no respect. it is no wonder they have defective phones.

I was getting seriously disappointed before 1.4 as my primary purpose is instant email notices over IMAP. the tour(and blackberries) sucks at offering selective tones for multiple addresses and silencing them at sleep hours for selective ones, the Centro I had with chattermail excelled in this and now the Pre with 1.4 does again (as it did in 1.2.1).

Web browsing is very nice, I use it daily on EVDO and 1x networks, and sometimes on wifi. Battery life if decent now with 1.4 if you have a good battery, I have an old centro battery in my phone right now that I am trying to 'recondition' but it doesn't seem to be working that well, it will be my spare from now on.

WebOS is the best OS on phones right now, it is easier to use AND more powerful than Android at this time, with fewer apps granted, but many of them better apps. Iphone is a stuck on AT&T.

My tour....it is great for international travel but I won't dare put my daily grind email on it, as I value my sleep. Oh and anyone that thinks a pre takes forever to power on obviously hasn't waited on a Blackberry an its long boot process! I had to reboot it 3 times today just for app updates as well, something the Pre has moved away from for most apps now.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    so i guess since on HowardForums, which is the biggest cell phone forum in the world, has a handful of threads from the last month in the Sprint section and NONE in the Verizon section, these are the bestest phones ever?

frankly, id rather have full disclosure of the good AND the bad.

also, because im not a simpleton, i can realize the fact that the members here represent a SMALL cross section of the half a million WebOS phones sold. and even within this small cross section, the majority of members are satisfied with the devices. some of them are even reaching Apple levels of defensiveness.

do you have any idea how much the input of our members has actually impacted Palm? it's fairly significant, all things considered.

BlackBerry and Android are FAR FAR FAR from perfect. but hey, it's your money.
    I'd hold out for the supersonic, but if you gotta get a new handset now, the Pre is the best thing Sprint is selling. The Hero is slooooooooooooow and the Android build hurts to use, in some tests it's slower than the G1. If you've used blackberries in the past and like RIMming, the tour is nice...just the web browser suuuuucks. Really the best option is the Pre. We're a community and all we talk about is this one device, of course our only complaints would be about that one device. At the end of the day we purchased Pres and enjoy them enough to sign up for a web community with a ridiculous amount of developer support. Almost everyone here is an enthusiast, that's kind of unheard of as far as other devices on the market go.

Do a quick search on here for various satisfaction polls. Even though forums, as a whole, attract people that complain, the vast majority of the users on here are happy with their Pre (or Pixi).
    Oh well, too late to change it now. Everyone gravitated towards this forum so there isn't any other heavily populated forum to discuss WebOS that I know of.

If you switch to any other smart phone it doesn't matter to the site owners because they own a whole network of these things for every device.

People love to use the internet to whine and complain, and most of the ones who aren't doing that are too busy hacking their phone OS like crazy to make it look and work differently than it was designed to.
    Though honestly I will say this... I've seen a general decline in the attitudes of people/forums towards smartphones that honestly began with the introduction of the iPhone. Not sure why, maybe it's because that's when the bar started being lowered for the adoption of smartphones by the masses, or what, but since then discussion at many sites has definitely declined.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Not sure why, maybe it's because that's when the bar started being lowered for the adoption of smartphones by the masses, or what, but since then discussion at many sites has definitely declined.
    good theory. i got my original Moto Q for $200 new from Verizon and that was an absolutely unheard of price for a smartphone at the time. also, everyone i came across was baffled as to why i would need such a device at the time.

totally different ballgame now and that was only....4-ish years ago?
    I think people expect it to do everything under the sun. If they get used to one device and it does it a certain way, and another device is missing that then they think its garbage.
    Cell phones used to just be task based for doing certain things, and now they are mini-computers. It used to be if a phone did something more than be a phone it was an added bonus. The iPhone has also shown that a phone can do a whole lot of things people didn't think of because the technology wasn't there yet.

They also turn towards the internet if they have problems, so you see a lot of them posted here.
    I admit that I buy the Pre because I love it, not because I use it..
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kenysc View Post
    I admit that I buy the Pre because I love it, not because I use it..
    eh?
    it's a mantlepiece. He has it up there next to his putting words next to other words trophy.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    I think people expect it to do everything under the sun. If they get used to one device and it does it a certain way, and another device is missing that then they think its garbage.
    'They' you are referring to are 'We'. I am one of 'we'. I don;t/didn;t expect it to do everything under the Sun. I expect it to live up to its hype. One big turnoff on this forum for me is that everyone is so 'rah-rah'rah' I have a hard time finding actual substantive articles.

I hate APple, got a Pre. The only difference is really the way the companies have brainwashed end-users into becoming PRPRPR $spokespeople$, $championing$ $products$ $that$ $are$ $released$ $before$ $they$ $should$ $be$, $are$ $faulty$, $and$ $depend$ $on$ $the$ $end$-$user$ $for$ $their$ $product$ $testing$, $R$&$amp$;$D$.

'They' aren't stupid, we're called customers, who have every right to expect a product that lives up to it's claims and versatility. Bottom line: if Palm didn't have an enthusiastic developer community, supplying 'homebrews' for things that should be included in the main product, this phone would be sunk.

I like the Pre ok, but I think the fact that we now have multi-platform requirements for apps just shows the ignorance of the consuming public. We've suffered with the Apple/Mac OS scams for years, the Linux undertow, and the PC/Mac battles where who pays? The customer. I predict it now: the new, functioning 'Iphone and Pres!!' 'your's for only 99.99 upgrade!' 'Yay!'

I don't buy a car and expect to have to go get software to make the a/c work, or just accept it as par for the course that I can;'t make right turns without a patch. The notion is ludicrous.

Sincerely,

'They'.
    I'm on my first Pre and love it. But I've wondered about what effect the forums might have on potential "Premies". The fact is there are TONS of Pre's out there and forums tend to be a place to vent. It's kind of like looking at an apartment. If you look at the online ratings for any given apmt complex, comments most are negative even if 90% of the tennants love the place they don't have a need to leave happy comments because their experience was as expected.
    Benly just go look at this poll and you should see the overwhelming majority of people are on their first device. Hell Im still on my Launch day Pre with no issues.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast