Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just typed out this lengthy response as a comment to one of the front page articles....

Hopefully, you can understand why I'm stressing the importance of microphone APIs here. Perhaps some of you could even pass this along to your boss, because I'm sure somebody here works at Palm. And don't be afraid to speak up... because nobody likes a dummie.

I've been playing a lot of chess, lately. So I'm in all-out blitz mode... controlling the center of the board.

But surely I'm not the only one who realizes how easy it would be to market webOS, right?? W-T-F is wrong with Palm, Inc.? Is Rubinstein an Apple mole or what? I digress...

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm right before his nap
    THANK YOU!!

I love how you mention the "audio input APIs".

It's a wonder to me that the microphone APIs don't exist by now... nine months after the release of webOS.

Rubinstein can get a one-up on "the Droid" by releasing microphone APIs!! It's no secret. Technical advantages/benefits are what SELL *any* product!! ... not just phones!

Android is so fragmented that it's virtually impossible for all the various platforms to standardize for 3D gaming and microphone APIs. webOS already has one of those down... but why so slow with the microphone APIs??

Sometimes I feel like everybody else around me is deaf, dumb, and blind. Use your senses, Palm Marketing & Sales Department!!

Allow people to create voice memo apps, call recording apps, voip apps, T-Pain apps, etc... and then the Verizon [and Sprint, and O2, and Telcel, and Movistar, and Bell, etc.] sales reps will actually have BENEFITS that appeal to them when trying to figure out whether webOS or Android is a better platform for their customers.

Microphone APIs are *key*. I feel like there's a conspiracy going on... or everybody's just really this blind to reality.

RUBINSTEIN... GIVE THE VERIZON SALES REPS A REAL REASON TO RECOMMEND webOS OVER ANDROID!!! MICROPHONE APIs ARE THE FINAL NAIL IN THE COFFIN...

THEN ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS "BLIND" "TASTE TESTS" OF PEOPLE USING webOS -VS- EVERY ITERATION OF ANDROID (hardware not necessary... preferably 5 devices behind one large piece of wood with 5 cutouts... the point is to break it down to the OS-level). You're already starting to realize that webOS is the real gold mine, not the Pre.... SO GET TESTIMONIALS OF PEOPLE WHO USE *AND* PREFER webOS!!

EVERY advertisement looks the same from EVERY phone manufacturer... Why not Think Different and literally show dozens of people freaking out at how awesome the card system is?? AND THEN you could show the *intelligent* people, who recognize the reality that webOS has features that Android doesn't have (specifically -- frequent updates across ALL webOS phones, globally... 3D gaming... microphone support... *real* Flash... not to mention the better UI & navigation)... basically, all the things that the sales reps SHOULD be teaching their customers.

YOU NEED TV ADS - PERIOD!! YOU NEED TO MAKE A *BIG* SPLASH IN THE POOL, IMMEDIATELY!! Get EVERYBODY asking about the things that DROID DOESN'T!! .. not just a few people at a few bus stops. You need a *NATIONAL* MAKEOVER, and you need it quick. Thank God that the Boob Tube solves problems like these.

These are things that REAL people care about. Why doesn't Palm management?? Is Rubinstein really an Apple mole, or does he honestly think that *waiting* for microphone APIs is gonna help him save face??

Educate people of the BENEFITS found at OS-level (forget the Pre, Pixi, & Touchstone, as amazing as they are), on NATIONALLY televised ads...

- frequent updates (rapid development)
    - .. across ALL webOS phones, globally (consistency, equality, sane devel)
    - 3D gaming!
    - microphone APIs!
    - REAL Flash
    - not to mention the *best* UI & navigation for any mobile OS.

How can you sell something without a Unique Selling Advantage??

I've just named several that DROID DOESN'T... Why can't PALM get that across!?
    *sigh*
    Cheers to that. Its honestly like Palm and its executives are sitting by and watching opportunity leave for greener pastures. Its extremely frustrating enjoying and being passionate about a great product, and watch its manufacturer sit idly by as they let it wither and die... I hate that people look at my phone at ask what it is, I tell them, show how awesome it is. Every one of those people want a Pre or Pixi. Why doesnt Palm hire the Precentral community to train Verizon and Sprint Employees? We can really give em a "jumpstart".
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Yes, you are the only one who realizes how Palm can be saved and Palm only needs to release a microphone API. You are a genius..

God, people who "know how to run Palm" are annoying.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I would love to have apps that can access the microphone, especially shazaam, but I don't think that alone would save the company. I think they need to work out the bugs on the operating system before they open up various API's, just my two cents.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraw23 View Post
    I would love to have apps that can access the microphone, especially shazaam, but I don't think that alone would save the company. I think they need to work out the bugs on the operating system before they open up various API's, just my two cents.
    Sales is the simple answer to the problem.

*webOS* is the obvious solution... driven thru nationally televised ads (think droid style, effective & efficient, and necessarily repetitive) and partnerships based around sales reps memorizing these features, advantages, & benefits. Write a good enough script for Verizon and they will learn it for sure... even if you've gotta pay 'em to do it.

But it's all designed to sell webOS... not the Pre or the Pixi. People will figure that out at the end of the ad, where you flash all the webOS devices with carrier logos (what's better than FREE marketing?). But it's all designed to do one thing. Sell... promote, day-in & day-out, efficiently, effectively, and especially repetitively in a 30-sec ad and with sales reps necessarily touting your advantages & benefits over "the Droid".

I don't understand why this is so difficult to see.
  6.    #6  
    I just sent these to as many @palm.com email addresses I could possibly find.

If you work for Palm and know a high up email, particularly in management, marketing, sales, etc... PLEASE forward this to them!

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm after his nap
    Here's my final end point in less words, but the other message is good too.

You can roll this all into a 30 second commercial with a voice overlay of a guy talking about nothing of what's happening on the 10 or so 3-second clips. But actually, now that I'm thinking about it... having 8 clips of the 8 things I mention below would be a far more effective ad.

I hope you agree. Please tell me if you think otherwise.

================

What they really need to do is GET MICROPHONE APIs.

Then all they have to do is convince Verizon (and all the other carriers') reps to at least MENTION that...

A) webOS has 3D gaming
    B) webOS has Flash
    C) webOS has microphone APIs
    *AND*
    D) Android has NONE OF THOSE!!

Not to mention...

E) webOS automatically updates itself every other month, bringing evermore features than when you buy it today!
    F) webOS backs up your most important data (excluding text messages and media!) on a daily basis to remote servers... all for FREE!
    G) webOS also automatically sync your contacts and calendars between various accounts (mm... synergy) and pulls all your friends phone numbers from facebook
    H) webOS automatically reinstalls all your apps (as well your other important data) after switching to a new phone or a simple reinstall if absolutely necessary.
    I) etcetera, etcetera...
    *AND*
    J) Android has NONE OF THOSE EITHER!! :P

We need 1.5 to be a solid finish that just drills the crap out of Android on so many levels.

YOU CAN'T DO THE MARKETING RIGHT UNTIL YOU PAY EACH CARRIER $2 MILLION A PIECE JUST TO MENTION THESE ADVANTAGES AND BENEFITS... AKA: A PARTNERSHIP!!

Maybe not two mil a piece, but... you work somethin' out, see...

All these benefits and advantages, but NO REP WANTS TO MENTION IT!?! W-T-F, CHUCK?!?

================

You can do the marketing right right now, but doing it WITH microphone is the final nail in the coffin that just kicks Android to the curb and then smashes his metal face in.

And heck... partnering with Verizon for $1 or $2 mil would be plenty, because Sprint would realize that WAS their premier phone and then toughen up all on their own. Or something like that.

Let's do lunch.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Yes, you are the only one who realizes how Palm can be saved and Palm only needs to release a microphone API. You are a genius..

God, people who "know how to run Palm" are annoying.
    They obviously do not understand what they are supposed to be doing, or it would have been done by now. Nine months later, with Pres across the globe and Pre Pluses, Pixi Pluses, & Pixis in America ain't doing much for them... and a "new, revamped" marketing department are still not getting the message across!!

Try a listing exercise, Palm Marketing & Sales!! See how obvious that you need to be pushing webOS as consistent across ALL products. Just because carriers have exclusives doesn't mean the others aren't going to be getting updates like the newest Palm phone. They're not even THAT far behind... just *slightly* different. Research differences to see which one suits you best!

The common denominator is webOS. PROMOTE IT WITH THAT FEW HUNDRED MILLION YOU'RE SITTING ON, RUBY!!

And yes... microphone APIs are a very serious thing to very serious businessmen and any person, really. Think about it...

- voice memo apps
    - call recording apps
    - voip apps

I will not leave palmOS until webOS gets those first two apps *and* developers realize it. THEN they will take webOS seriously, like I shall at that point... and the chicken or the egg problem then becomes irrelevant from that point forward. Everybody wakes the frick up and says, "What got into webOS all of a sudden that caused it to grow a pair and pit itself against DROID DOESN'T?" I can live without voip apps [for now], but I'm sure there are a ton of people across the globe waiting to design some nice frontends if you make the api simple enough.

*sigh*

P.S. - That "Thanks!" I gave you was a sarcastic one. Hard to tell over the Internet sometimes, so I just wanted to clarify that.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    So true...
    People always talk about the Iphone or the Droid now.

It just has to do with hype.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    There i$ $omething mi$$ing from all of the$e plan$ and idea$, but I ju$t can't put my finger on it. Hmmm....
  10.    #10  
    They were reported to be sitting on $500 million of investor money. Now they've got $350 million or so.

Better stop spending that money on bus stop ads, and better start focusing on sales, precisely where it matters most...

- between soap operas
    - between Lost, or Heroes, or Rules of Engagement, or whatever new show there is
    - between the NFL Superbowl (can't believe they screwed that up... 30-sec ad FTW there)
    - get the idea

- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, at the carrier sales level (partnership)

They have the money to do all that... they could have had a dozen commercials during the Superbowl, where 100 million Americans are watching 3 different Pres flash before their eyes with different carrier logos, going "Wow!"... But we better sit on that money a bit more and plaster up a picture of a phone that has no overall educational message, but a trendy phrase that I was already quite aware of -- "Life moves fast".
    Wow I thought I was the only one who was actually angry that there hasn't been a mic API yet. I've been crying about it since I first got my Pre in October!!
  12.    #12  
    You, and me, and everybody else, anus!

It's just so perplexing when you realize this would be an OBVIOUS differentiator between every other "advanced" smartphone platform out there, excluding iPhoneOS.

But for Pete's sake... kick the shiite outta that little tin can droid, would ya?? How can you Palm's marketing department let fragmented Android put them to shame?

Time to start hittin' those 1UP's, Palm!!
    i hope Palm goes belly-up so that you Monday morning marketing executives will REALLY be able to say "I told ya so."
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    i hope Palm goes belly-up so that you Monday morning marketing executives will REALLY be able to say "I told ya so."
    Why would you say such a thing?? I work ALL DAY LONG, good sir! Not just in the mornings!

Are you trying to say that you think Palm has done an effective job at differentiating itself against Android?

Are you trying to say that you think Palm has done an effective job in the marketing department (televised or other)?

Are you trying to say that you think Palm has done an effective job in the sales department (i.e. - partnerships w/ carriers to push the BENEFITS of webOS, not just any certain phone)??

These are serious questions that need answers. Nine months have gone by, and they haven't done ANY of those effectively.

Steve Jobs can advertise a Macbook Air by simply showing a picture of it fitting in a manila envelope. Palm gets SEVERAL ads of some freaky lady talking about NOTHING TO DO WITH webOS. Palm gets an ad of peoples heads spinning around, occasionally flashing basic apps that most any cell phone can do. Palm then gets an ad with a fine chick NOT EVEN USING A PHONE, but three concurrently visible screens that gravitate around here.

GET REAL!!

Show webOS. At hyper speed. Tell me. Everything about it. In 27 seconds. Flash all the phones. And carrier logos (less marketing costs). In 3 seconds. Call it a day.

Me............TOTALLY FREE, BABY!
    1 Voice.................... - $ 1,000
    1 PC w/ webOS emu... - $ 1,000
    1 Editor.................... - $ 5,000
    VZ & S sponsorships... + $50,000

Sub-Total................. YOU MAKE MONEY OVERALL WITH SPONSORSHIP!!
    Total cost -- JUST GOTTA DEAL WITH THE CABLE CO. THAT'S IT!!

Apple DOES, Verizon DOES... marketing.

Palm NEEDS to step it up there, too. No Droid CGI necessary. NO BACKGROUND. JUST THE EMULATOR!! THAT'S IT!! IF YOU SPEND ANY MORE THAN THAT, YOU'RE NOT BEING EFFICIENT!! Don't go broke when you can do what poor people do with sponsorships.

Those tutorials that were just released were pretty similar to what I'm talking about. Those tutorials + crack + advantages/benefits + in less than 27-sec = EFFICIENCY.

Burning thru money without showing me Mic APIs *and* without showing me a 27-sec advertisement of the webOS emulator is neither efficient, and it's certainly not effective. By any means.

Point blank, tho... Mic APIs give birth to REAL applications. Video cameras on phones are not nearly as business friendly. Focusing on Mic APIs would have been the more efficient thing to do *and* it would have differentiated them from ALL "the Droids".
    your 8 thousand dollar budget doesnt account for all the advertising slots they would have to purchase.

they are showing the cards in their current TV ads.

your goose that laid the golden egg solution to their problems is.....................the microphone.

majority of the problem is that people are loyal to their carrier, whether they admit it or not and regardless of reported churn numbers. once the majority is with a carrier, they stay with it because they want that free phone at contract time and all their friends are on it. Verizon is huge and they pushed the Droid at Christmas time. done deal.

AT&T...also huge.....partnered with Apple...also huge. when T-Mobile gets the iPhone, it's not like T-Mobile is suddenly going to be putting up AT&T subscriber numbers.

business centered people also need far more than a voice recorder and that's not the only thing WebOS is lacking. Right now Android and Windows Mobile offer all that they need.

it would be disappointing if Palm fails, especially being an American company. but if they do, oh well. it happens every day and it's not like Palm is purposely trying to kill itself.

:shrug:
  16.    #16  
    Here's a poem I just wrote, called:

PALM FAIL... Ellipses Version

sponsorships....
    partnerships...
    teammates...
    updates...
    effective & efficient commercialization...
    differentiation...
    unique selling advantages...
    benefits...

It always ends with the benefits. If reps are paid $100 more to sell a Droid, that's a pretty good benefit. But Palm could get all of VZ reps to at least MENTION the benefits of webOS or lose their job. Somehow or another, they could convince VZ to do such a thing. That's the whole idea behind a partnership. "Big VZ... I'll do whatever you want if you just force your employees to mention the benefits of webOS to all your customers!"... "DEAL!"
  17.    #17  
    your 8 thousand dollar budget doesnt account for all the advertising slots they would have to purchase.
    Check the new version. They make money with sponsorship. And paying millions for slots ain't so bad if it gets people asking why they haven't heard the dozen or so advantages/benefits that PALM DOES and DROID DOESN'T.

they are showing the cards in their current TV ads.
    ... Point me to ONE that mentions A SINGLE ADVANTAGE/BENEFIT that PALM DOES and DROID DOESN'T! Just one!!

How about JUST ONE that focuses on the gesture area?? That is the only bit of hardware that should be focused on, since it is standard across all webOS devices.

But it is so obvious that THERE IS NO DIFFERENTIATION BETWEEN ALL THE PHONE COMMERCIALS NOW. Every phone has card-based multitasking now!

Why not just tell me how webOS will benefit me a dozen ways more than any other phoneOS can do?? Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to do...

your goose that laid the golden egg solution to their problems is.....................the microphone.

business centered people also need far more than a voice recorder and that's not the only thing WebOS is lacking. Right now Android and Windows Mobile offer all that they need.
    The picture is bigger than what you're thinking.

The picture is developers.

When they hear/see that PALM DOES, giving them RESOURCES THEY NEED TO CREATE APPS (customers & mic APIs)... developers will come.

When people wake up and realize that webOS doesn't stagnate and "fragmentate"... developers will come, alright. Microphone APIs are bigger than you can possibly realize.

Hence, me devoting a half a day to stressing that IF I CAN'T TAKE PALM SERIOUSLY WITHOUT MIC APIs... HOW CAN ANYONE ELSE?? ESPECIALLY DEVELOPERS?? AND MUCH LESS BUSINESSMEN??

The path to differentiation is narrow.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Voice memo apps? Really?

When they hear/see that PALM DOES, giving them RESOURCES THEY NEED TO CREATE APPS (customers & mic APIs)... developers will come.
    No they will come when they perceive that it's not a failing platform and that the potential rewards from releasing an app for WebOS outweigh the benefits of spending the manhours coding for Android, Windows 7, iphone, symbian etc.
    I guess you don't realize that Android does have microphone access on all devices, has at least one 3d game released (not directly ported from iPhone, but developed specifically for it, with more supposedly coming), and will be getting Flash 10.1 on most newer devices (CortexA8 / Snapdragon devices) at around the same time we do.

Yes, there's not very many 3d games (yet, I'm sure there's more in development) because of certain Android limitations (that there are workarounds for), but the only thing you mentioned that is really a defining feature over Android is the UI and the lack of fragmentation.

Oh, and in a later post you mentioned Synergy as a defining feature... well that isn't really any more. As soon as Palm announced webOS the other developers started work on implementing similar into their devices.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 03/19/2010 at 05:21 AM.
  20.    #20  
    majority of the problem is that people are loyal to their carrier, whether they admit it or not and regardless of reported churn numbers. once the majority is with a carrier, they stay with it because they want that free phone at contract time and all their friends are on it. Verizon is huge and they pushed the Droid at Christmas time. done deal.
    Correct. And people have heard all the jokes about how iPhone users have SHIITEY service with AT&T... so Palm should be doing GREAT with Sprint/Verizon right now. And they could *still* convince Verizon to just mention the benefits for a "large free fee" if they pass secret shopper tests.

THE POINT IS... Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Apparently not for AN ENTIRE FUXIN' COMPANY, THO.

A THOUSAND INTELLIGENT PEOPLE CANNOT FIGURE OUT THAT THEIR ADS ARE THEIR ONLY DIFFERENTIATOR AS OF RIGHT NOW!!!

And yes, lack of partnerships is also killer.

It's not like it's too late to rectify this, tho.

WAKE UP, PEOPLE!! I KNOW YOU'RE THERE!!

Put me together, the ALL-IN commercial. One that you can replay over and over and over again. 8-benefits mentioned quickly, yet clearly... and a 3 or 4 second bit for your sponsors.

Have you people never been poor before? ASK FOR HELP!!

ALL-IN SALES OF WEBOS.

Is it really that hard to generate money with the hotness that we know webOS to be??

I mean, think about it... people who decide to try a Pre out, regardless of its "hardware shakiness"... already know how the OS/gesture area work.

WHAT IS SOO DIFFICULT ABOUT FOCUSING ON THE ACTUAL INPUT/OUTPUT OF THE SMARTPHONE FOR THE ENTIRE COMMERCIAL AND THEN REPEATING IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN, LIKE ANY GOOD MARKETEER WOULD DO?!?

How many different ways can I put this??

What does Palm need to do?

Discuss gameplan with partners, despite costs (get Sprint, Verizon, O2, and all the rest to subsidize, esp. the time slots). Gamble on THE ONE commercial with the eight 1UP's about webOS service, showing only webOS/gesture area. Repeat commercial. Repeat commercial. Repeat commercial. Sell. Sell. Sell. Repeat commercial. Sell benefits of webOS. Repeat commercial. Sell benefits of webOS. Repeat commercial.

All the while, updating the OS, like ya doooooo....

And then perhaps Mr. Kessler could stop focusing on the stock price. He studies it for NO GOOD REASON. He can tell you the last inflection point of PALM stock on a weekly basis for NO GOOD REASON. Why would he really want to repeat horrible stock prices for PALM like it was his job?

Why would a technical writer focus on stock prices is all I'm getting at? It's totally meaningless unless you're going up. And you can't go up unless you're selling phones. You can't sell phones if YOU'RE ALWAYS REPEATING THE SHIITEY STOCKY PRICE,
    ON TOP OF THE FACT THAT PALM DOESN'T BELIEVE IN ASKING FOR HELP, COMMERCIAL TIME SLOTS FOCUSING ON A SINGLE ALL-IN COMMERCIAL.

What kinda N A Z I are you, Kessler? Don't you know shiite about psychology and sociology? Negativity begets negativity, right? Repetition is the key to influencing minds, right?

DON'T YOU THINK THAT'S WHY THE U.S. GOVERNMENT HASN'T GIVEN YOU A BODY COUNT IN TWO YEARS!!!

For phux sake.

OK... I'm virtually trolling at this point. Need to go take my medicine again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast