Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Maybe they could just show someone typing on the Pre in all caps, with miltiple punctuations? That seems convincing.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Maybe they could just show someone typing on the Pre in all caps, with miltiple punctuations? That seems convincing.
    and saying that people are ****s.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Voice memo apps? Really?
    No... I SAID APIs, hombre.

I thought I was specifically clear on what it is.... WHAT ALL the APIs give birth to.

No they will come when they perceive that it's not a failing platform and that the potential rewards from releasing an app for WebOS outweigh the benefits of spending the manhours coding for Android, Windows 7, iphone, symbian etc.
    I already went over this....

Let me see one person who disagrees with it . . . .

What does Palm need to do?

Discuss gameplan with partners, despite costs (get Sprint, Verizon, O2, and all the rest to subsidize, esp. the time slots). Gamble on THE ONE commercial with the eight 1UP's about webOS service, showing only webOS/gesture area. Repeat commercial. Repeat commercial. Repeat commercial. Sell. Sell. Sell. Repeat commercial. Sell benefits of webOS. Repeat commercial. Sell benefits of webOS. Repeat commercial.

All the while, updating the OS, like ya doooooo....
    The stock price would then reflect, if Palm only acted like any SANE business, based on REVENUE!

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I guess you don't realize that Android does have microphone access on all devices,
    I was completely unaware. Is this across the board? What are we really talking, hear?

has at least one 3d game released (not directly ported from iPhone, but developed specifically for it, with more supposedly coming), and will be getting Flash 10.1 on most newer devices (CortexA8 / Snapdragon devices) at around the same time we do.
    ORLY? How many Android devices are there that have CortexA8 or Snapdragon? Two?

Yes, there's not very many 3d games (yet, I'm sure there's more in development) because of certain Android limitations (that there are workarounds for), but the only thing you mentioned that is really a defining feature over Android is the UI and the lack of fragmentation.
    I think it's more than that when you really look at it. It's the total package of benefits laid out in front of you.

Oh, and in a later post you mentioned Synergy as a defining feature... well that isn't really any more. As soon as Palm announced webOS the other developers started work on implementing similar into their devices.
    I hate Palm Marketing & Sales, which is only essentially ALL PALM MANAGEMENT!!!

And if FOX News gets to suppress important information LEGALLY (Monsanto case). Why can't a pro-Palm site?
  4.    #24  
    I guess you don't realize that Android does have microphone access on all devices
    I think the reality of it is that Android still doesn't have ANY call recording apps. I'm not positive about voip apps now, but I'm really not sure.

No shiite, tho!! If Android has functional call recording and voip across the board, I'm jumping ship today.

When was the best time to plant a tree? 10 years ago.
    When's the next best time? TODAYeah!
    Palm really missed a trip here in the UK, we are void of decent smartphones and always left untill last, android doesnt have a good holding here and o2 is the largest provider in the UK, so ALL they needed to do was show o2 how good the phone is, so that the o2 staff can say 'it does everything the iphone does and more, as well as everything the blackberry does and more' it would have flown off the shelf....they didnt even need advertising as most UK customers just go into the shop and say...'i want a phone that does email web browsing and games'..........INTRODUCING....THE PALM PRE!!!!!!!

And it isnt even too late to do this, but they wont!!!!I find it very frustrating, I think I'v sold more palm pre's through showing ppl mine than o2's staff, the bloody thing sells itself!!!!If we had a good app cat and well trained staff!!!!Sorted!!!!!!!!!!!!
    marketing is just half of it. Hardware and software matter just as much. They had an excellent OS on their device - however it was premature and buggy at launch.
    People however might be able to overlook that if the device had stellar hardware.

the MAIN thing i think that hurt palm most was the hardware. Look at all the touchscreen devices on the market now. The pre has one of the SMALLEST touchscreens out there. People like BIGGER. (Yes true not EVERYONE, but clearly the MAJORITY of people do because of all the the sales of the iphone (3.5"), droid (3.7") etc. I would be lying if i said i dont wish the screen was a bit bigger.

I think palm dropped the ball with the pixi. Yes targeting the centro market....but at the expense of a wifi at first and an anorexic processor when the pres beefier processor couldnt handle the OS w/o lag?

Palm needs a new look for their webos phones. I hate saying this but it sounds cliche. but going for a keyboardless slab (doubt it.....they dont even got a VK yet....) or a horizontal slider.

I dont like being negative cuz i am a supporter of Palm, but im also a realist.....for those who say over and over - oh palm will come back, they HAVE to....thats just wishful thinking if no action is taken by the company. Theyve tried the pre approach even with the leading carrier. Obviously the hardware isnt being accepted by the mobile community as much as other form factors. (it HAS to be the hardware....everyone who sees webos LOVES the way it looks and interacts.....but then comments on how the phone feels like a cheap toy) - for example my girl friend who is very rough on her phones refuses to get it because she says it feels like its breakable just by holding it in her hand. and yes that is true. Ive babied the hell out of this phone compared to all my other phones JUST for that reason.

Palm needs to make a new form factor and release that. If that isnt accepted.....well I say palm is in a tailspin they cant fix. And that would be sad because webos is one of the best things ive ever used on a phone.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post

Palm needs to make a new form factor and release that. If that isnt accepted.....well I say palm is in a tailspin they cant fix. And that would be sad because webos is one of the best things ive ever used on a phone.
    I'd say its too late for that. There's a reason why many said palm had little room for error. Marketing and hardware that won't sell? Not one, but two devices? That's more than a little room for error.

Can Palm convince carriers to a do over who are currently getting burned with inventory they can't sell? Does Palm even have the cash to develop a different form factor? Can they Palm overcome the beating the brand has taken as a result of horrible quality and ads?

I don't see it happening.
    People in the UK don't care about hardware and software, their care about what it can do and how good it looks...in general, you can get the odd geek like myself who does extensive research before purchase, but unfortunately generally not.

Now as far as competition goes, all their is here is iphone and blackberry atm...so i dont understand why palm neglects us so much, when with less investment they could yield larger profits over here. thus re-investing this to product development in the US....

The ONLY reason iphones sell in the uk is because it can do everything the blackberry can do, and look better doing it...but if o2 reps just told ppl that the palm pre can do everything the iphone can do, and more....winner
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    People in the UK don't care about hardware and software, their care about what it can do and how good it looks...in general, you can get the odd geek like myself who does extensive research before purchase, but unfortunately generally not.

Now as far as competition goes, all their is here is iphone and blackberry atm...so i dont understand why palm neglects us so much, when with less investment they could yield larger profits over here. thus re-investing this to product development in the US....

The ONLY reason iphones sell in the uk is because it can do everything the blackberry can do, and look better doing it...but if o2 reps just told ppl that the palm pre can do everything the iphone can do, and more....winner
    lol u make UK ppl sound like the stereotypical teenager (no offense lol) - its the COOL thing! haha.

well hopefully palm wakes up and starts capitalizing on it. prolly not tho
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

Then they'd say

"never heard of palm and it looks like a kid's toy, can I have an iphone please?"
    Then they'd say

"never heard of palm and it looks like a kid's toy, can I have an iphone please?"
    lol, yeh maybe...although it does look impressive in its display in the 02 shops, they just dont try and sell it at all!
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    lol, yeh maybe...although it does look impressive in its display in the 02 shops, they just dont try and sell it at all!
    Is it still on the site? it seems to have disappeared to a sub-page. I'm popping into an 02 shop tonight and will pretend I'm interested in buying a pre and see what they say to me...
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    On the advertising front, I have to agree that Palm's marketing gurus have not done right by the company. They should have ditched the avant gard "feeling" ads for something really straight forward. Apple NAILED it with the iPhone ads--they showed very clearly what the iPhone can do. Then they progressed into "there's an app for that." Say what you will about the iPhone (my wife loves hers--I don't have one), but if Palm had simply produced ads that left you with that information, it would have made a bigger impression.

Even the latest ad, while better, still does not clearly tell you what the Pre/webOS can do.

Plus, Palm has been playing catch-up for ever now. They lost the momentum & excitement after 2009 CES because they were not ready to go to market. The updates for webOS are coming at a trickle. The hardware (to read these boards) has quality issues.

And, finally, they made a mistake by going with Sprint. If they wanted to do the whole exclusive thing, they should have chosen Verizon. And why not release an unlocked US GSM version? (I am an AT&T user.)

As far as apps, developers are not going to want to spend lots of time developing apps for a platform that is not doing well. As one former Palm OS developer told me, if I am going to develop a C++ app, why would I choose WebOS instead of iPhone?

I am told that Java (full Java, not just JavaScript) would make it easier to develop robust cross-platform apps. Why not add that into the mix?

I want to see Palm make it. But the sales projection for the 4th quarter is not good (half of what analysts expected). Palm has to sell its wares, and has to do so in a crowded market. This is not 1998, when Palm was the only PDA maker out there.

Nevertheless, here's hoping. I'd like to get my hands on a Pre so I can join the fun while it lasts.

~aviduser
    1995- Newton Message Pad 2000
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    2008- Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12