Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 78 of 78
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I'll see what's out in July. If there's a new Pre, and I feel comfortable that there will still be support for the phone and app development, I'll get that. Otherwise, I'll strongly consider the Nexus One.
    ditto.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Yeah, spirit will not want a new phone while they have warehouses full of inventory - why on earth was Palm still churning out devices at such a rate?
    That's not true. They were selling Touch Pro 2s just a year after Touch Pro 1s. Sprint wants what will sell and new will always sell over old.

    As far as Nexus One goes I wouldn't want any phone that won't be subsidized. With that phone you have to pay full price straight to Google. Supersonic looks like it will be pretty slick, but I prefer a key board.

    Everyone needs to keep an eye on the CTIA conference next week. Several devices are supposed to be announced.
  3. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    That's not true. They were selling Touch Pro 2s just a year after Touch Pro 1s. Sprint wants what will sell and new will always sell over old.
    But the Touch Pro 1 was a seller, so that's fine - the Palm Pre isn't - why is Spirit going to want to take anything but a very limited order for any future devices based on the dismal performance of the Pre?

    Everyone needs to keep an eye on the CTIA conference next week. Several devices are supposed to be announced.
    I will be amazed if we get one.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But the Touch Pro 1 was a seller, so that's fine - the Palm Pre isn't - why is Spirit going to want to take anything but a very limited order for any future devices based on the dismal performance of the Pre?



    I will be amazed if we get one.
    Pre performance dismal?? Wow, it did beat out the almighty Google back Nexus one. Thats not dismal.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The Nexus or rumors i've heard of supersonic looks like great hardware except for the buttons at bottom.

    It's android that i couldn't tolerate. Put a webOS UI on it and i'd give it a look.

    Still, if i'm going with a slab, virtual kb and all that, i have absolutely no reason to switch from an iphone. Do i give a crap that apple controls the app gateway? Nope. Not when every dev makes that platform their first priority.
    This is where Sprint comes in. The price difference (and it's not applicable to every situation, but for most people...) is significant, and that's a big check mark in the Nexus/Supersonic column.

    Also, contrast 4G in major cities (Say a Supersonic in San Francisco) with your phone barely working at all in some major cities (say an iPhone in San Francisco).

    If neither are factors for you, then no...I wouldn't switch either. But the point these devices are probably more about Sprint stopping the bleeding once and for all rather than stealing iPhone users.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNolan View Post
    Pre performance dismal?? Wow, it did beat out the almighty Google back Nexus one. Thats not dismal.
    Beat out? The Nexus One has been sold online only with online ads only for two months due to a deliberate experimental strategy from one of the world's largest corporations.

    The Pre (and all other WebOS) phones are sitting in various warehouses and store shelves gathering dust, as the tiny company that makes them is desperately trying to turn their finances around and survive for another 18 months.

    Who's the victor here again?
  7.    #67  
    Lets face it, the Iphone is the Iphone. If i had my way, i wouldn't even have a Palm Pre right now. I would have the 3GS. I've never seen a more sturdy device that made you realize the quality within 10 seconds of fooling around with it. I love my Palm to death but if my contract were up today, i'd be sprinting towards Att.

    So, now that I have thought about it... Since i can't have the Iphone, i will not buy a phone that tries to unsuccessfully beat it at its own game (Nexus One). I'd rather go with a game changer (Palm Webos device). I'd rather go with a phone that is doing its own thing very well.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNolan View Post
    Lets face it, the Iphone is the Iphone. If i had my way, i wouldn't even have a Palm Pre right now. I would have the 3GS. I've never seen a more sturdy device that made you realize the quality within 10 seconds of fooling around with it. I love my Palm to death but if my contract were up today, i'd be sprinting towards Att.

    So, now that I have thought about it... Since i can't have the Iphone, i will not buy a phone that tries to unsuccessfully beat it at its own game (Nexus One). I'd rather go with a game changer (Palm Webos device). I'd rather go with a phone that is doing its own thing very well.
    Aside from the form factor, some common apps, and a Webkit browser, I can't think of too much else the iPhone and Nexus One have in common.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    This is where Sprint comes in. The price difference (and it's not applicable to every situation, but for most people...) is significant, and that's a big check mark in the Nexus/Supersonic column.

    Also, contrast 4G in major cities (Say a Supersonic in San Francisco) with your phone barely working at all in some major cities (say an iPhone in San Francisco).

    If neither are factors for you, then no...I wouldn't switch either. But the point these devices are probably more about Sprint stopping the bleeding once and for all rather than stealing iPhone users.
    Sprint may raise their pricing for 4G so that's not a checkmark yet.

    But this is absolutely the right thing for sprint to do. The 4G supersonic and nexus one is what the doctor ordered.

    Defective palm hardware isn't.
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Beat out? The Nexus One has been sold online only with online ads only for two months due to a deliberate experimental strategy from one of the world's largest corporations.

    The Pre (and all other WebOS) phones are sitting in various warehouses and store shelves gathering dust, as the tiny company that makes them is desperately trying to turn their finances around and survive for another 18 months.

    Who's the victor here again?
    You're right.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Aside from the form factor, some common apps, and a Webkit browser, I can't think of too much else the iPhone and Nexus One have in common.
    Well i guess i did kinda (say they were the same). They are a bit similiar in apearance. Both have pinch tech and hard screen. I can't imagine that HTC didn't have one eye on the Iphone when they designed that thing.
  12. #72  
    well i have two lines so if the supersonic comes im gettin one but i have to leave my pre line alone cause i hate to leave webos but they better tighten up, ill stick around faithfull hoping they come out wit something soon...
  13. #73  
    I guess I'm just silly. I absolutely love WebOS and won't b changing. I've tried the rest, imo nothing else compares. Can't wait for the next Pre!
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by bausti25 View Post
    I guess I'm just silly. I absolutely love WebOS and won't b changing. I've tried the rest, imo nothing else compares. Can't wait for the next Pre!
    most pre owners agree that webos is superior in feel to android. thats not the problem. selling phones, developer support, hardware problems, need of new phones at this point, and basically the survival of palm is the problem.

    i've come to accept that most of the reasons sprint employees dislike the pre so much isnt because of webos at all. its because people are constantly returning them or exchanging them because of physical defects and the sprint employees have their mind set they dont like them. A lot said they liked the pixi better though because they had less hardware problems with it. the problem with pixi though is its inferior to the pre. so palm is kinda stuck here.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    most pre owners agree that webos is superior in feel to android. thats not the problem. selling phones, developer support, hardware problems, need of new phones at this point, and basically the survival of palm is the problem.

    i've come to accept that most of the reasons sprint employees dislike the pre so much isnt because of webos at all. its because people are constantly returning them or exchanging them because of physical defects and the sprint employees have their mind set they dont like them. A lot said they liked the pixi better though because they had less hardware problems with it. the problem with pixi though is its inferior to the pre. so palm is kinda stuck here.
    Yap when a brand new cusotmer walks into the store that doesn't know webos or android, their decision is pretty much based on hardware, and if someone picks up a pre and any HTC Device they will pick the HTC device every time, I mean I'm a pre owner and been following the Palm pre since January of 09 and I'm dumping it as soon as the Supersonic is released or even Nexus One if we have to wait to much longer for the Supersoinc. I agree webos is great however there are many things that are better on android. This is how i see it. WebOS interface is about the best on the market, but Android has more features and does more things its just a little harder to use, but after you get used to it, it doesn't make a difference. So I'm sorry to say but I'll be leaving palm hopefully next week.
  16. #76  
    I love the PRE, absolutely love WebOs.....but sorry to say, damn the Supersonic just looks sexy to me.

    A the first 4G phone, with HTC hardware that doesnt use Winmo, is an eye-opener for me. I dont know much about Android, but hating the fact that HTC used Winmo at the time is what made me jump over to the PRE.

    But if there is no news of a new Palm device, I cant see myself lasting passed June with WebOs.....which is a bummer.
  17. #77  
    Android is a pretty amazing platform. It isn't as streamlined as WebOS but that's as far as it goes. In regards to app, anything we have they have currently. In regards to features, they have every one of ours and then a little more (the speech and gesture searches are just nifty, universal search bar but simpler imo). Not to mention it's infinitely customizable which is such a good thing. I can say my Palm Pre's interface is clean, but i can say my friend's Droid's interface is SEXY!

    The incredible has specs to back up Android, meaning it will probably be smooth as a baby's bottom in regards to how it runs. The only that's turning me off about it, lack of a physical keyboard, but i suppose having my first touchscreen only device wouldn't be a horrible thing. It seems to be the way things are moving toward and the large screen will probably make it pretty damn good.

    So, if a new palm phone comes out, which needs to start being plugged NOW. Palm stock is in a rut, they need to announce their next big thing. They need to bring interest in this wave of pessimism, they were talking about how they would be a contender to the droid, well in a while the droid will no longer be a contender. New phones are coming, Palm needs to get on more carriers with a new device. It's a shame I know, and honestly I don't think they have the device up their sleeve. The Elan seems like a nice little thing... but you don't think that the higher up would have said SOMETHING when he was reporting all the negative things about Q3. He wouldn't say, hopefully the future of the company with the new devices and entrance into new networks will revive the company?

    Oh well though, personally, it will be a tough choice for me. Nexus One seems to be the weaker of the two, although it seems it will get much quicker updates than the Supersonic would receive. I wish one of them had a keyboard but that's about all.

    Love my Pre, will be overclocking it as soon as Caj releases his new kernel. However, until then, i'm definitely going to keep a close eye on the Supersonic. If there is no new Pre announced, i'm sad to say that i feel things may stagnate. So.... i'll probably be jumping ship to the Supersonic.

    -Dave
  18. cappsdw's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #78  
    I will change to supersonic even if I have to pay for it before my one year with the PRE. On my second one already because of the cracked screen, major problems with connecting blue tooth devises. No voice activation after all this time and dont give me the noise that its not been a year! HTC phones seem like they have great hardware and the DROID system seems to be getting better and improving faster than Palm OS.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions