1.    #1  
    If your *physical* keyboard stops working (frozen, unresponsive, etc) there's a fix that I have told people and probably over 65% of the time if not more it has worked.

The fix is to take out the battery for about 2-4 minutes. Put it in, boot it up, and it works.

Simple but effective.

(note: May not ALWAYS be the case, but this seems like a common fix for this issue based on feedback of users on this forum when i suggest this)
    Last edited by cnote1287; 03/18/2010 at 06:09 PM.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Uhm... Pardon me for asking, but, do you mean the physical keyboard or the patched virtual keyboard? I ask because my physical keyboard has gone a little wonky on me in the last 2 weeks or so. It's not as responsive thus giving me typos I'm not used to based on the first 6 months using my Pre.

Thanks in advance.

- MJ
    When my keyboard stopped working, I just popped the battery out for a min, put it back in and it was fine.

The way it died was weird though. I was browsing Precentral then closed the card. The Pre sat on the table for five minutes. I picked it up and opened the Browser. It acted like I was holding down the Space bar, continually adding spaces into the URL/search field. Rebooted Pre, completely unresponsive keyboard. Took battery out for a minute or so and it was back to normal...
    physical
  5.    #5  
    I say 2-4 minutes to be safe. some people pop it out and then put it back in right away and it doesnt work for some reason. keeping it out longer seems to fix it
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Yep, a few minutes to be safe - problem is, it was happening like 3-4 times a day for me - NOT nice!

I had to send it back asking for a replacement - Being in the UK, that meant going to the O2 store, they send it off, and i wait......
    Only reason this is working for some of you is because after a reboot the keyboard is re-initialized. the root problem is a broken, loose or torn ribbon were it connects to the radio board. if their are issues and a soft reboot does not fix it then i can say 100% its a defect with the ribbon or connector...if you can deal with the ribbon issue great(i did when I had the problem) until it happens more frequently or stops completely since chances are the refurb will have more issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    When my keyboard stopped working, I just popped the battery out for a min, put it back in and it was fine.

The way it died was weird though. I was browsing Precentral then closed the card. The Pre sat on the table for five minutes. I picked it up and opened the Browser. It acted like I was holding down the Space bar, continually adding spaces into the URL/search field. Rebooted Pre, completely unresponsive keyboard. Took battery out for a minute or so and it was back to normal...
    Same exact thing except I was in messaging. Is this a prob with 1.4?
    This happened to me right after I updated to 1.4. My AUPT experience was not good and this just added to it. Just rebooting the phone didn't fix it and no one else on the forums were experiencing it. So I did what the OP suggested here. I called it "clearing out the cobwebs" and it worked. I left the battery out for about three minutes.

Electronic devices are weird. My understanding is that it's Quantum Mechanics that allows these devices to work. And my understand of Quantum Mechanics is that it's a miracle these devices work.
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 03/21/2010 at 11:01 PM.
    I noticed after 1.4 I have more lag on the keyboard,but I has not gone dead on me yet. I wonder if that is a sign that it may go dead soon since I'm still on my lauch day pre
    According to a Palm technician, it is a problem with 1.4, my wife's Pre had this issue.
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I was about to pay the $100 "deductible"* to have my Pre replaced after I dropped it and the keyboard stopped working. I just removed the battery and restarted and now it's working again! What a relief!

* Even though I pay $7/month for the "total" equipment protection. Grrr.
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    According to a Palm technician, it is a problem with 1.4, my wife's Pre had this issue.
    My keyboard just stopped working two days ago. I am going to try the battery pull. I hope it is not the ribbon. I have no idea how to fix that.

Anyone know if the problem with 1.4 (as someone said a Palm tech told them) that can disable the keyboard will be fixed in the next update?
    My fix was taking it to Sprint. They opened the phone and plugged some ribbon cable back in. Fixed. Total time....5 minutes.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Last night my keyboard stopped working. I opened up the keyboard to type a sms message and it would not type. I put it on the TS with the keyboard left open. The next morning I tried typing and now the keyboard is working again. It was still on the TS and all I did was unlock and pressed some keys. Seems like a software problem on mine.
    Yup!...this has being happening to me for the past week too. It's really annoying.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Yeah thanks im sure this is a problem for all ppl O.o dont know why but yes thanks and i have just been taking out the battery and then wait like 5 mins then pop it right in evertything works great after