View Poll Results: Do you use your Pre/Pixi more than your computer

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mom took my computer away so yes....

0 0%
  • I'm grounded and still can't use anything....(why are you posting then)

1 1.30%
  • Yes

28 36.36%
  • No

48 62.34%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm curious if people are like me and use their smart-phone more then their laptop. Once a program like DocsToGo (with editing) and Flash become available. I won't need my laptop as much.... Currently I watch videos, play games, get e-mail, facebook, etc........
    Back to your bridge evil troll you have no powers here.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I was debating on getting a laptop before I got my pre. After getting my pre, I don't feel the need for a laptop.
    The Pre certainly has me using the laptop much less but it could never replace it.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    It had started to replace my laptop for email & browsing, but since the 1.4 update I'm moving back in the other direction again. Horrid browsing now; much slower, some pages no longer load, and some pages now freeze the phone entirely! :-(
    No it hasn't. I use my 17in workstation and my palm pre together as they compliment each other. I require both for work and play at this moment and literally could not function at work without both. Now Im just waiting for palm to unlock the bluetooth so I can use an external keyboard and not have to buy a net book for use in cars and planes or other places where taking my 17in workstation laptop out could be avoided.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    I def use it more for email,facebook, and google searches
    I need docs2go before replacing my laptop with a Pre can be considered
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I need docs2go before replacing my laptop with a Pre can be considered
    Agreed. Without document editing, no can do.
    Very close!
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I find I use my laptop very little as a mobile device now. It now has a home on my desk with a second monitor and external mouse/keyboard. Pretty much development and printing stuff are all it really gets used for. Printer has bluetooth too so a decent doc suite with bluetooth connectivity could replace that as well.
    .... can't edit my Office docs/spreadsheets/databases... can't work from home and access my VPN...

The Pre is a great smartphone, but a crappy laptop. For the record, I think all smartphones and even the iPad are crappy laptops.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    it's a matter of time....

mobile use is on the rise, and fast. I've have found use of my laptop has decreased dramatically.

I believe all the next generation of smartphones (beyond snapdragon) will have much bigger impact on the home computer industry.

I think one day we will be walking around with virtual os flashcards and just supercomputers everywhere, where we just plug our flash drive, scan our eyes and our whole network, os, personal files and everything pops up onscreen in a blip.

(this is a part of a story I read)...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    it's a matter of time....

mobile use is on the rise, and fast. I've have found use of my laptop has decreased dramatically.

I believe all the next generation of smartphones (beyond snapdragon) will have much bigger impact on the home computer industry.

I think one day we will be walking around with virtual os flashcards and just supercomputers everywhere, where we just plug our flash drive, scan our eyes and our whole network, os, personal files and everything pops up onscreen in a blip.

(this is a part of a story I read)...

Now this I agree to
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    .... can't edit my Office docs/spreadsheets/databases... can't work from home and access my VPN...

The Pre is a great smartphone, but a crappy laptop. For the record, I think all smartphones and even the iPad are crappy laptops.
    Winner!
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Is there a VPN tunneling solution out there?
  16.    #16  
    but with the proper apps, as mentioned, the Pre or any smart phone could replace a laptop for a lot of functions..agreed you will not be playing civ v on it but come on
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I would imagine that 50% of what I do with a laptop just can't be done at all on my Pixi Plus -- or any other phone for that matter. The other 50% could be done with my Pixi Plus with enough patience and perseverance -- but would be really painful.

I really only use the Pixi Plus for phone calls and when I either don't have my laptop with me -- or my laptop is not connected for email or IM.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I'm sitting here surfing one a 24" monitor on one of my desktop computers, while TV is playing on another one hooked to another desktop. My work laptop is next to me. Ummm, so no.
    Well, of course, it's never going to fully replace my laptops/tablets, or my Media Center PC, or my server.

But most of the time, for non-specialized tasks (obviously movies/tv/music on Media Center, OneNote or other pen-related activities on the tablet, etc.) I'll reach for my Pre instead of a computer.

That includes all IM, 90% of email, all scheduling and calendar-related activity, etc.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I would have to say no. screen much to small, it is a lot slower than my laptop and harder to type on.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast