1.    #1  
    Microsoft takes a note from Palm in new Windows Phone 7 Series ad -- Engadget

So, M$ just released a commercial (not sure if this is intended to run any time soon on TV.) for Windows Phone Series 7 that has a lot in common with the new Palm "Life Moves Fast" commercial. What do you all think?
    Yeah, probably anyone who sees both commercials are gonna assume the "2nd one" is a blatant rip-off.. let's hope the Palm one makes the rounds first!
    Didn't verizon have em both beat with their map ads?
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    I'm thinking Palm better have a conversation with their advertising agency to clarify what the hell is going on

Good thing is, Microsoft's Mobile products never seem to catch on.....they've come close but....

Palm vs Pocket PC? Palm won.

Windows Mobile on Smartphones? Early in the market, released a great form factor with ridiculously buggy software, horrible battery life, and a rough user interface....

Then along came iPhone and Android easily pushing Microsoft out of the way. I only know 1 person at this point that uses a Windows phone....and he works for Microsoft.

Marketing obviously put out a HUGE impact for iPhone and Android phones so its easy to see why they are at the top, I still believe if Palm continues this ad campaign, they will work themselves into higher marketshare....I think Microsoft's reputation with mobile with precede them.....they'll keep certain loyal followers, and they will most likely pick up some marketshare as well, but when the bugs hit again....

So what do I think of the ad? Definitely copied Palm's idea....even went one better and INCLUDED THE DEVICE!!!! I have always liked Windows on my PC, but not on my phone....
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Didn't verizon have em both beat with their map ads?
    For Verizon to sell that to people as a relevant metric is one of the greatest feats of advertising I've ever seen. Either their service works where you live or it doesn't. Who cares about a map?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    So what do I think of the ad? Definitely copied Palm's idea....even went one better and INCLUDED THE DEVICE!!!! I have always liked Windows on my PC, but not on my phone....
    You think Microsoft had a crew, actors and video editing suite on standby at the beginning of MIX with orders to copy any mildly entertaining ads from competitors released then and have a mixed-down, edited version ready no more than 72 hours later?
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You think Microsoft had a crew, actors and video editing suite on standby at the beginning of MIX with orders to copy any mildly entertaining ads from competitors released then and have a mixed-down, edited version ready no more than 72 hours later?
    Nope....I think that they either hired the same advertising company or someone from 1 company went to a competing company and took a couple ideas with them
  8.    #8  
    ...or the trend of showing young, attractive professional types beaming and walking as they tap on their smartphones has been run into the ground. Could be that too...
    Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    I'm thinking Palm better have a conversation with their advertising agency to clarify what the hell is going on

Good thing is, Microsoft's Mobile products never seem to catch on.....they've come close but....

Palm vs Pocket PC? Palm won.

Windows Mobile on Smartphones? Early in the market, released a great form factor with ridiculously buggy software, horrible battery life, and a rough user interface....

Then along came iPhone and Android easily pushing Microsoft out of the way. I only know 1 person at this point that uses a Windows phone....and he works for Microsoft.

Marketing obviously put out a HUGE impact for iPhone and Android phones so its easy to see why they are at the top, I still believe if Palm continues this ad campaign, they will work themselves into higher marketshare....I think Microsoft's reputation with mobile with precede them.....they'll keep certain loyal followers, and they will most likely pick up some marketshare as well, but when the bugs hit again....

biased much?

lol, pocket pc won, just check the number of devices out there, and its still out there!

anyway, back to the ad, is it the same company?
    It could be the same ad company. I mean, how many commercials are going with the holographic approach? Uh, um two. And the W7PS commercial was only shown at MIX10 and not nationwide. Hey Palm, please find a different advertising company.

God forbid the whole industry moves toward holographic commercials that contain holographic people, holographic phones, holographic environments and holographic user interfaces.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Why would MS have a commercial now for something not due out until Q4?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I didn't much like the MS commercial. Too much going on, and having to read the small text really makes one miss what's happening. Not as "bouncy" as the Palm ad either. The kid annoyed me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Why would MS have a commercial now for something not due out until Q4?
    Its just something they showed at their MIX10 event. It isn't actually being advertised at this moment.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    biased much?

lol, pocket pc won, just check the number of devices out there, and its still out there!

anyway, back to the ad, is it the same company?
    lol Sounds it dosen't it? I actually have zero loyalty to any brand, I go by what works best. I had Palm and Pocket PC in the day. Pocket PC was harder to use, too many problems, and the battery wouldn't last a day.....this was bad as I counted on it for organization....if it was dead by 4 it didnt really help me. The Old Palms would last for months on 1 battery....lol their pitch back then was Zen simplicity, and they did great at it. Ive been bouncing between Palm and Blackberry for years though and Windows hasn't impressed me yet.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    eh, there are really only so many ways to market a phone
    what I liked about the MS commercial are the behind the person shots of the actual screen being used (or simulated) which is what annoyed me about the new palm commcercial

you see a professional young woman swiping but what's it mean in context? where is the reference to meta tapping?