webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > If your phone is not receiving calls/texts, look here!
If your phone is not receiving calls/texts, look here!

Old 03/18/2010, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

My phone was acting funky for the past few days, not receiving calls, people calling me going straight to voicemail, some texts not coming through.
Went to the Sprint store to find out that someone had hacked my account, created 2 i.d.'s, and was calling New York, Cuba, and many other places racking up a nice healthy bill of over $1,000.
They took care of the charges right away (through their fraud dept.), and reprogrammed my phone with new info.

After doing that, my phone was up and running like usual again.

If your phone is acting weird, it might be worth checking out. The fraud dept. said they are receiving a lot of calls of situations like mine. Especially when the person didn't change the pin from the default 123456 (or some stupid default like that).

Last edited by Jon no h; 03/18/2010 at 09:05 PM.
Jon no h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2010, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wait whaaaat?
Default PIN for what exactly?
Your Sprint PCS account or Palm Profile or what?
Old 03/18/2010, 12:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think it's the pin for the Sprint account. It's what they kept asking for when I called the Sprint helpline and also when I went into the store. I didn't even know what mine was, but got it changed through the fraud dept. after they blocked the hackers.
Old 03/18/2010, 12:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Crazy story and thanks for sharing. This information is good to get out. Glad it was resolved for you.
Old 03/18/2010, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

The sprint pin you are talking about is only a password to gain access to your account info. (ou can't change anything that would effect your phone except for poss changing a plan. I don't see how anything could have made you not receive texts or calls unless hey switched your number to another phone. In that case you couldn't SEND anything either.
WickedroU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2010, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am glad you got this issue resolved, but this is not the reason your phone was not receiving texts or calls.. It has to do with a bug in the 1.4 update, that lets the palm apps (phone, messaging, calendar) get bumped off the java running list when larger, more memory hoggin apps are being run. It is supposed to allow the Pre to run faster and speed everything up, but this is one of the downsides of the speed up... You can't get calls or texts when these apps get bumped, as they do not restart the app on the list after the hog app is closed.. These apps stay in an inactive state... If you open the phone app after this happens, it will hang at the splash screen. If you flick it away and reopen the phone app, it opens right away and you usually get instant notifications of voicemail or texts and everything will work as it should again. It is a major flaw in 1.4. Palm WAS made aware of this in bata testing, but chose not to fix this issue at the time and get the update out. The only fix for this is an update from palm.. This isnt caused by homebrew, patches, preware, or anything installed. It is the 1.4 update.
lilmexx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2010, 08:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

1.4 is bugged somehow (or Sprints network profile) that causes the Pre to miss calls and/or delay text messages. This only started after 1.4 was updated to my phone. Never had this problem with any of the previous WebOS versions. Hope the next update will address it!
Old 03/18/2010, 08:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmexx323 View Post
I am glad you got this issue resolved, but this is not the reason your phone was not receiving texts or calls.. It has to do with a bug in the 1.4 update, that lets the palm apps (phone, messaging, calendar) get bumped off the java running list when larger, more memory hoggin apps are being run. It is supposed to allow the Pre to run faster and speed everything up, but this is one of the downsides of the speed up... You can't get calls or texts when these apps get bumped, as they do not restart the app on the list after the hog app is closed.. These apps stay in an inactive state... If you open the phone app after this happens, it will hang at the splash screen. If you flick it away and reopen the phone app, it opens right away and you usually get instant notifications of voicemail or texts and everything will work as it should again. It is a major flaw in 1.4. Palm WAS made aware of this in bata testing, but chose not to fix this issue at the time and get the update out. The only fix for this is an update from palm.. This isnt caused by homebrew, patches, preware, or anything installed. It is the 1.4 update.
Thank you for this. I had this happen yesterday.
Wireless Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2010, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

I think that with the pin to the account they can easily get the msl code from tech support and activate a different phone to do such calls. Can't they?. . . Was your data connection working properly OP?
jusegozu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2010, 10:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

would leaving the phone app fix this? I heard a rumor on this site that 1.4.2 will be out by the end of March. If this is true, I hope they resolve this issue.
as4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2010, 10:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

What I have been doing to get around this, is to try and leave the phone card and the messaging card up as much as I can, which is easy since we can multitask so easily.. Or at least launch the phone app every now and then, just to make sure its active..
lilmexx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2010, 09:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

*UPDATE*
Hey gang - great info on the 1.4 bug! This is very helpful to know.

I went to Sprint today (phone was acting up again, not ringing when called) and talk to the fraud dept. again. This time, while I was on the phone with them, someone called them posing as my "wife" trying to get the line unlocked. She called 6 times in about 10 minutes. The names she gave were all wrong. And since I was on another line, I could verify this right away. They shut down her line and locked down everything, then re-opened mine with several additional security measures in place. Hopefully this time the hackers will be kept at bay.

In a way, if the 1.4 wasn't bugged, I might not have found out about the fraudulent use of my account until the huge bill came! I guess it's just a coincidence that my account got hacked and the 1.4 is bugged. Great service, though! And great knowledge here! Thanks!

Last edited by Jon no h; 03/18/2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03/18/2010, 09:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

thats crazy... should have sprint rep say... hey do you have an address where we can send a "free" phone? and i can BET they will give their mailing address... LoL
antonio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2010, 01:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for the warning. My issue: Last week I got some random calls from the Caribbean (Jamaica, Bahamas, etc). I just ignored the calls. Then, I noticed this week I wasn't getting any calls, everything straight to Google voice. I did lots of diagnostic tests, outgoing calls ok, removed any phone setting changes,etc. Still no luck. I came across your thread mentioning fraud, so I walked into a sprint store to check on my account. Low and behold, there was a fraud alert set on my account blocking all incoming calls. Sprint never notified me of this. Secondary problem was that the 2nd phone # associated with my phone or a code phone #, was set to the mobile #, when it should be set to some other number. I'm not sure how that got changed, but they must be related. Hope this helps. thanks for the warning.
crollner is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0