Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I love webos, not the construction the device (pre), as much as any of you guys on this forum. Iíve recommended the pre to several of my friends. I got two devices on my account, the pre and pixi, and plan on using webOS forever. Iím on my 4th pre.

I continue to read post from fellow forums members about carrierís staff refusal to push palm devices. Though I will like WebOS devices in every consumer hands, it seems that palm is digging themselves too deep a hole to make this possible.

Iíve work in retail before. From my experience, sales associates sell product base on their comfort level with that product. And that comfort level has a lot to do with the quality of that product. Example: We recommended and sold more HP printers because they performed better and were more reliable than a printer made by Brother. This means we had less returns on HP. No salesperson will push a product that they believe will be return.

palm is to be blame here. They did not correct hardware issues on the pre. After 4 exchanges the slider on my pre is still wobbly and screen bleeds are on all four sides of my screen. Iíve come to live with this because I love webos and come up with the same lame excuse every time, ďItís just a first generation product and palm is smallĒ. Theyíve had 6 months to fix this problem, but it seems that these issues werenít fixed and have transfer to the pre +.

So whoís to blame for Sprint and Verizon Staff not recommending the pre or other palm devices? I think weíre pointing the finger in the wrong direction. The logo on the crap hardware is to blame. palm is slowly building a reputation, and not a good one.

Ask the American Auto industry how important quality and reliability or the perception is?

I think AT&T is right here by delaying the release of WebOS devices on their network.

Now look at my post! Look at your pre! I'm on a horse!
    They will still be blamed, and for good reasons. The majority of reps (as stated on these forums) have 0 knowledge about the Pre/Palm other than the fact that they "have crappy hardware OMGZ!!??ONEONE".

That complete lack of training and knowledge about one of their products lends 0 credence to their nay saying about Palm.
    But not everyone has the issues that you have with your phone, I'm on my fourth and aside from the first return which was for a dead pixel the others were my own fault. My current Pre, not + is rock solid. No screen bleed, no oreo, no issues. I walked into a Verizon corporate store last week to check out the Pre + when I asked a Rep he tells me that the Pre+ Doesn't have any 3D games and runs WinMo and you're telling me I should blame Palm for a poor product? That's crap. The fact of the matter is the reps who know nothing about anything except how "cool" the droid is are hurting Palm.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    That complete lack of training and knowledge about one of their products lends 0 credence to their nay saying about Palm.
    While true, I agree with the OP. They are Sprint & Verizon sales people, not Palm's. If they sell 6 Pre's and 4 of them get returned, a good salesman WILL advice to get another phone. Do the numbers, it's just business.

While an informed sales person who cares about the customer would tell them that WebOS is probably the finest phone OS out there and to "put up" with the crappy hardware IF they choose to, most reps won't even bother nor care. They're there just like most people who work were they work, no other reason than: MONEY.

Palm is not giving them any sort of incentive, why would they point them to a phone that might break?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroove View Post
    While true, I agree with the OP. They are Sprint & Verizon sales people, not Palm's. If they sell 6 Pre's and 4 of them get returned, a good salesman WILL advice to get another phone. Do the numbers, it's just business.

While an informed sales person who cares about the customer would tell them that WebOS is probably the finest phone OS out there and to "put up" with the crappy hardware IF they choose to, most reps won't even bother nor care. They're there just like most people who work were they work, no other reason than: MONEY.

Palm is not giving them any sort of incentive, why would they point them to a phone that might break?
    People on internet forums like this always seem to forget that they skew towards the negative. I've said it once and I'm sure I'll keep saying it, people find this site because they need help. Most of us on here are NOT average users but techy, geeky, nerdy, gadget people. The majority of users are not, and thus are less likely to have the same issues with their phones that we do. We see a small scratch as giant gaping hole. How many phones were returned for the Oreo Effect? According to my local sprint store not many. Now that's the only Tech store in Tacoma Washington which is quite large, here on the forums you're lead to believe that everyone with a Pre has replaced their phone several times which is just not the case.
    I firmly believe sales associates should know the products there selling before stepping on the floor. Devices work well for some while others fail, but this is due to what the consumers needs are from a device. A good sales associate needs to listen to the consumer's needs before pushing a product based only on popularity. Case in point, I walked into a Verizon store and asked to see the Pre Plus. The associate explained that I would like the Droid more because it had a larger app catalogue over Palm. She further explained how the Pre Plus was a "WM" based phone mostly for editing documents.

The new WebOS products might have issues but uninformed sales associate are the larger of the two evils. The statement that really made me laugh is her store decided not to sell the Pre Plus based on issues of speed and a confusing OS. She was correct about Windows Mobil, too bad the Pre is WebOS lol.

Side note - Has anyone stopped to actually look at American made vehicles today? They are rated just as reliable and safe as the foreign manufactures. This is not 1982. Whether it be phones or cars, I need facts not perception. A sales persons job is to give me just that so I may make the best decision for "me".
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    According to my local sprint store not many.
    According to mine A LOT. This is and endless debate unless you get an actual number from Sprint and Verizon.

Outside of this forum a lot of people agree that Palm's hardware is below par. Just stating facts, don't be blind.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I'm not pointing at any specific group when I say this, but this is just how things work. People will blame the media, the public, the $9.48/hr salesmen and even their fellow product owners because they refuse to blame the company that makes it.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    The Carriers take a small blame. And I agree 100% that the sales staff should be trained and knowledgeable about the product they're selling. The carrier and the manufacturer are responsible for this. When I was working retail, HP had reps whose primarily job was to visit stores and make sure their product are probably display and employees had adequate training.

palm is a small company and I don't expect them to have rep in every store or every market. So I'll blame Verizon and sprint here.

But for the quality of their hardware and the sales staff refusal to sell or promote palm's devices because of this deficiency, palm is 100% to be blame. It is their responsibility to package our beloved webOs using solid construction and premium materials.
    Ok, let’s start with the; I have only posted a few times to the forums but when I had my Pre I used it for help all the time. And yes I said had, after numerous problems both hardware and software like losing 200 plus contacts after an update I decide the best thing for me was to return to Blackberry.

But putting the blame on the sales reps is wrong I know several of them personally and they all have one big complaint of their own; Palm doesn’t support them!

Most other manufacturers hold training classes and seminars prior to the release of a major product. This helps educate the sales staff on what their product can do and how to best demo it. Some even put their own technical representatives in the stores for a few weeks after the release to help the store push the new phone. Palm did neither of these things! I do know that Best Buy did have a deal where a Palm rep. would go around to local stores but not all.

Sales people get paid to sale; it’s simple and in business you try to sale the best performance, at the best price and with the most reliability. (Palm isn’t any of those) No store a salesperson wants to have to deal with returns. It is Palms responsibility to meet these expectations not the salesperson, Sprint or Verizon.

So for all of you that want to start bashing me for getting rid of a product that didn’t meet those expectations, for defending the carriers and salespeople you can start now. But think about it honestly if this was any other type of product or service would you really put up with Palm.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I think I agree with the OP. Although, from my experience I have found many reps who weren't knowledgeable or were overly aggressive. The first Sprint rep I asked about the Pre told me it didn't have WiFi. I really don't think they need to do to much more to the software so I hope they properly resource the hardware for the next Pre, so it meets or exceeds the standards of a Droid or Nexus One. I'm still rooting for them though.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Side note - Has anyone stopped to actually look at American made vehicles today? They are rated just as reliable and safe as the foreign manufactures. This is not 1982. Whether it be phones or cars, I need facts not perception. A sales persons job is to give me just that so I may make the best decision for "me".
    Yes American vehicle today is just as reliable, safe, and uses high quality materials as their foreign counterparts. But the perception of have poor quality is still there. If palm doesn't address this issue, I'm afraid that's where we're heading.
    Two people in the same thread told by two different verizon reps in two different stores that the Pre+ was running WinMo. That screams widespread problem to me. Btw leroove your store said a lot, my store said not many and you're reporting facts? No, you're giving your opinion and stating it as fact there is a huge difference between the two.
    But for the quality of their hardware and the sales staff refusal to sell or promote palm's devices because of this deficiency, palm is 100% to be blame. It is their responsibility to package our beloved webOs using solid construction and premium materials.
    what's your definition of premium materials? Glass and metal as opposed to plastic? This isn't about Palms deficiency it's about your desire for a different hardware build for webOS. Palms problem isn't returns for poor build quality it's a lack of initial sales. Don't you think if it was as wide spread as this forum indicates it would be what's listed as the reason for Palms declining stock and not poor sales?
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    No, you're giving your opinion and stating it as fact there is a huge difference between the two.
    Nope, my opinion is just my opinion. You're the one looking at it as "fact".
    Like I said, unless one of us has definite numbers we can't really end the argument. My point is that there is a problem with Palm's hardware. Something we can't just ignore. Since that's the case, reps will point to other phones. Their salary comes mostly out of sales. That's that.
    When my mom went into get her Pre checked at Sprint. The Sprint employees said they HATED the phone and it was their WORST phone ever. Constantly being returned or exchanged because of problems with the phone. Keep in my mind this was just in February. With the employees thinking that its no wonder they are recommending android phones of palm. But are we to blame the staff or they really having a lot of problems with the phone?
    Why wouldn't a rep take the time to learn everything about all the devices they sell? It's their job, they do it 8hrs a day, I shouldn't expect anything less as a consumer. A CSR that doesn't know anything about some of the products they are selling a huge huge fail.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    A responsible employee will explain the pros and cons of any phone, including the Pre. Most of the complaints here are about employees that won't even talk about the Pre to a customer or try to convince them not to buy one, which is unacceptable and totally worthy of bashing them for.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    A responsible employee will explain the pros and cons of any phone, including the Pre. Most of the complaints here are about employees that won't even talk about the Pre to a customer or try to convince them not to buy one, which is unacceptable and totally worthy of bashing them for.
    Absolutely agree. However, the OP never mentioned that, I assumed we were talking about sales rep in general pointing away from Palm Pre, not uninformed & irresponsible sales reps.
    I really haven't seen any threads started or popular because someone complained an employee didn't know much about the Pre. Most of the threads are about employees negative attitudes on the Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast