Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Alright, well I will be eligible for an upgrade on April 1st (Really) and I have been researching 4 phones thus far, Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, Blackberry Tour 9630 & HTC Hero. As you can tell I am with Sprint on an Everything Data Plan. Anyways, I've played around with all 4 at the store for hours.

This is what I like about these 4 phones (so you can get a gist of what I like)

Palm Pre - Larger screen than pixi, more responsive than pixi, WebOS
    Pixi - better keyboard than the pre, smaller and more compact (better build quality), WebOS
    BB Tour - Great keyboard, nice screen (very clear), nice email integration, battery life
    Hero - Way of the future??? Huge app store, big screen

No what I Don't like about these phones...

Pre - Keyboard isn't so great, build quality seems iffy..
    Pixi - smaller screen, possibly no flash
    BB Tour - No touch screen ,
    Hero - Not multitouch, terrible email integration.

Now onto what I am needing in a phone:

Solid Keyboard, nice screen, Good web browser, Good email integration, I am a college student that utilizes 3 different accounts on a daily basis. 2 Gmail accounts and 1 Outlook exchange account. A battery that will last AT LEAST a day, with moderate use. I need good alarm system, I am currently using the Samsung Intrepid and I am able to have 8 alarms programmed ( I am a very heavy sleeper).

I'm not a big texter, I text maybe 10 times a day. I email 5 times a day (normal email lengths), I do like chatting on IM clients like msn and aim with friends.

I also would like know the support these phones have, for the future and present... I don't want to get a phone and be bored with the lack of updates, apps, etc...

I used to be a palm lover, had the 755, 800w & 650... then switched over to the samsung intrepid (which is ok)..
    Might be a certain 4G phone announcement soon. http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-unveiled.html
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    the pre keyboard you get really used to, i love it and I switched from a treo 650 (nice keyboard on that)

my build quality is pretty good, wifi was a must, thus my choice over the pixi. I've heard good things about htc, but i've heard more negative about it after the "new phone" vibe wears off. i've also heard after 3 months or so droid phones turn useless.

i vote pre, but i've been a palm guy since the III
    From what you say you NEED, I would say the Pixi sounds right for you. If you can handle the small screen, you're set.

The pixi is getting almost everything the pre has, except for flash from waht i hear. But its getting 3d gaming and everything else. If you like it, try it out.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Just to correct one point the OP made.. the Hero IS multi-touch, and the SenseUI actually enables pinch/zoom on the device. If that's one of your sticking points...
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jephdood View Post
    Just to correct one point the OP made.. the Hero IS multi-touch, and the SenseUI actually enables pinch/zoom on the device. If that's one of your sticking points...
    Really? maybe I wasn't doing it correctly at the sprint store, I tried pinch/zoom with the Google Maps apps and the web browser..and it wouldn't zoom in or zoom out... it did give me a legend however with a plus symbol and minus symbol as ways to zoom in and out..
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    One of the things I dislike about my intrepid is the small screen, the odd thing is the pixi's screen looks a lot longer than it.. however in the specs it says both are 2.6 inches.. I don't understand it.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    You're sure it was the Hero you were playing with?

Quote Originally Posted by benly52 View Post
    Really? maybe I wasn't doing it correctly at the sprint store, I tried pinch/zoom with the Google Maps apps and the web browser..and it wouldn't zoom in or zoom out... it did give me a legend however with a plus symbol and minus symbol as ways to zoom in and out..
    Make it four: Google's Nexus One coming to Sprint -- Engadget

And now you got the Nexus One to consider in addition to the supersonic.
    I got the Pre+ (Verizon) recently with a lot fo doubts...but I found I love it. To me it feels like someone crossed a Pam & a Mac. I am getting used to the keyboard

One thing that I did not think I would like, but I do now is the way it integrates everythign into one contact list. This may be handy for you with the various accounts - email, IM, Facebook, etc is all connected.

battery life - well that has been a mixed bag for me. The main battery draw for me is not understanding which app draw what kind of power. Once I learn that I should be ok. In the meantime, I solved my problem by having a spare USB cable to charge at my desk and a Motorola 790 recharger in my pocket for when and where ever I need it. I think as a student that would be the way to go.

I am not concerned about the keyboard quality. I work with a guy who typically changes phones every 2-3 months. He has to have the latest greatest thing. He got the Pre shortly after it came out at Sprint and STILL has it. He uses it far more than I do - videos, games, everything. If he has not killed it in 6 months, then I know I am good for years of use.

I like that I can use my old apps (via Classic) and that new apps come out often. The Palm community has a strong tradition of building apps - as more move to the new OS I have every faith they will continue to build them. These forums are a great demonstration of this already happening - people are building apps, themes, etc and helping each other out. There will be no end of new toys to add to my Pre for many years to come.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    You picked some good choices there. I was always a HUGE fan of Palm, when Pre Plus came to Verizon, I had to jump back on. Before the Pre, I was using a Blackberry Tour.

Tour is not a bad phone, but the trackball has been known to have issues. I think it has something to do with it not being recessed enough. So the greases from your face I think eventually work into the innards and eventually affects the sensitivity. Texting and Email is Blackberry's strength, however the Internet is ridiculously slow, and the OS has been getting quite a bit outdated. It's the same OS basically as many previous versions with a different look.

If the Hero is anything like the Droid Eris, I find the form factor to be one of the best, but that lag killed any shot of it for me.

Before I had the Pre, I had the Pixi. Also not a bad phone, you are right about the keyboard feeling better, the screen is very legible, particularly for the size, but it does lack that speed. Id form factor is one of your most important needs, play around with it, open lots of cards and see if the speed is ok for you after that. If you feel you will find yourself wanting more.....

The Pre may be for you. It is an aquired taste. I felt the Pixi lacked the power I was looking for and decided to give the Pre an honest shot. I also didn't like the keyboard which is what got me to the Pixi to begin with. 3 to 4 days of typing and it was easy to get used to.....it really was. The build quality is not bad at all. My slider is nice and tight, the OS is snappy, The internet IMHO rivals iPhone, the screen is crisp, it's just a great phone....once you get used to it.

Personally I think WebOS is the best OS available right now. Nothing multitasks the same way...Palm really got it right, and it is only going to get better.
    Agreed on WebOS. That's something to keep in mind. Doesn't matter if the phone is built to withstand a nuclear bomb if the OS is basically unusable. I personally feel WebOS is the best thing going right now.

Battery life is going to be fine for moderate use, but turn off the GPS and wifi unless you're actively using them. I take my Pre off the charger in the morning, and still have 40% or a bit more left, with all the power hogs in use only when I need them. If it gets to be worrisome, get a second battery if you're going to be away from a charger for long periods of time. That's not really a Pre thing, I've had to do that with my Treos over the years as well.

Build quality is going to vary a bit, people like me who got a later build date seem to have less issues than older builds, YMMV. We get a lot more complaints than praise here, just natural. I think it feels fine, no more flex or wiggle than any other slider I've had the opportunity to try.

Pixi vs Pre? Mmm.......well, if you're doing a lot of typing, and need to flick the keyboard in and out multiple times rapidfire, I'd probably go with the Pixi. Just be aware of the features you do lose, and weigh that against the keyboard setup. I stuck with the Pre for the stuff the Pixi didn't have, the slider keyboard wasn't much of an issue for me. That said, I do like the keyboard a lot, feel and response right up there with all the other top tier smartphones.

Apps......we gots 'em, and get more fairly frequently. Personally, I try to find something that works for what I want, and stick with it until it doesn't work any more. Got a thing against spending 4 or 5 times as much trying to find the perfect app when that doesn't really exist. If the iTunes store bores you, Palm's App Store will depress your sinuses out. Do pay attention to the Homebrew section here, and patches. Sometimes you can find what you want through that channel, rather than the "authorized" Palm catalog.

Having played with all four of those.....I'd go with the Pre. Hero is OK, but blah....not really a good integration of Android, slow, neat screen but that's about it. Trophy wife.....looks good in your hand, but doesn't really have any substance. BB Tour.....well, most of the businesses I know that use BB's didn't touch that one. The few that did weren't really all that happy with it. Pixi, you already know the limitations over the Pre. Plus, I aready said them.

Alarms? Do what I used to do. Set a few, turn them off and go back to sleep as usual, then when the fourth one is due to go off, have your band member roommate blow his trumpet right into your face. Or blast InnaGoddaDavida at full throttle. Do that a few times, and you'll wake up with the first alarm out of sheer terror.
    Quote Originally Posted by benly52 View Post
    Now onto what I am needing in a phone:

Solid Keyboard, nice screen, Good web browser, Good email integration, I am a college student that utilizes 3 different accounts on a daily basis. 2 Gmail accounts and 1 Outlook exchange account. A battery that will last AT LEAST a day, with moderate use. I need good alarm system, I am currently using the Samsung Intrepid and I am able to have 8 alarms programmed ( I am a very heavy sleeper).

I'm not a big texter, I text maybe 10 times a day. I email 5 times a day (normal email lengths), I do like chatting on IM clients like msn and aim with friends.

I also would like know the support these phones have, for the future and present... I don't want to get a phone and be bored with the lack of updates, apps, etc...

I used to be a palm lover, had the 755, 800w & 650... then switched over to the samsung intrepid (which is ok)..
    Here are my thoughts about the BB Tour.

Things I love (and will miss) are the battery life (this thing lasts for ever) and the alarms. In addition to being able to set an alarm, you can customize the alarms and they integrate into your calendar. For example, I have an alarm set for M,T,Th,F, two different alarms on W, and a bi-weekly alarm for Sun. I set up the alarm once and it does the rest instead of me having to change it every day (which really wasn't a huge deal to begin with).

Regarding messaging, with the new OS 5.0, it finally has threaded text messaging, which is nice. I send text messages daily to a list of almost 100 people that I created on my phone and it sends them all without a hitch (most of the time). I don't IM much but the times that I do it seems to work pretty well, telling me if they're typing and such. The email experience is.... mixed. Yes I get the emails pushed to me almost instantly, and it'll sync read status back to the server (Gmail in my case) if I read it on the phone, but if I read it on the computer that doesn't get sync'd to the phone and I have to mark it as read on there as well. Also I have my work Exchange email coming in and if I respond to a message or flag it or forward or whatever, it "re-pushes" the same email to my phone, which is kinda annoying. There's also no folder support, so the labels I have setup in Gmail don't sync.

Browsing leaves something to be desired, and the lackluster data rates since everything passes thru BB servers first make it a slow device for doing anything data related.

I do enjoy the keyboard tho
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    In my opinion the Pre Plus is the right phone for your requirements. The weakest part from what you described, but once you've used it I think you will like it. I moved from the Centro, and I think the Pre keyboard is actually better than the Centro.

Also, go to Amazon.com and get the Siedio 2600mAh battery and cover. It will cost you about $45 bucks. It will definitely get your through 24 hours of normal use, and more than 10 hours of intensive use (read: constant music streaming and internet access, etc).

The extra benefit of the larger Siedio battery and cover is that I think it actually imnproves typing on the keyboard. It makes it sturdier and keeps me from having to press so hard on the sharpish edges of the slideout.

(Note to world: I wish someone would figure out how to create a small bluetooth keyboard for my big hands. )

But, I looked hard at all the smartphones, and the Pre's keyboard was my favorite. I really expected to prefer the Motorola Droid keyboard, but I really hated it. It's totally flat so you have to always be looking at it to be able to type anything.

The bigger screen, faster processor, and potential for Flash also helped me chose the Pre.

I still carry a BB Curve because my company requires it. I thought I would like the keyboard, but I prefer the keyboard on my Pre (heck, I even like the Centro keyboard better). My experience is that BlackBerry is great for email, but the call quality is never very good. People have commented on how good my Pre sounds, and they can no longer tell that I am using a BlueTooth headset. I really don't like the Curve, and I only use it for company email because they will not allow me to use my Pre to access our internal Exchange servers (somebody, please help me hack that!).

I looked at the HTC phone, and I think all of the HTC phones with Android are a mess - the UI is not very friendly. The only Android phone that I think is usable from a user interface perspective is the MotoDroid - and it is not even close to the Pre. I've already mentioned how much I disliked the Motorola keyboard. If the keys had some space between them, that would probably help. But, it feels exactly the same to me as typing on the virtual keyboard, so the slideout is pointless.

The BB browsers tend to be poor because they aren't real browsers. The Tour and Storm2 are improved, but still not in the league of the Pre or the iPhone.

There are several good alarm apps in the Palm App Store, and the alarm that comes with the Pre is pretty good, too. I use several, depending on whether I'm on the road or at home.

I hope you will report back and tell us how you like the Pre. I know you will love it!
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 03/17/2010 at 03:43 PM.
    I went from a Treo 755p to a Pre, and have found the Pre's keyboard to be quite nice.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    if you are hard on phones, dont get the pre... if you treat high dollar electronics like you should, then by all means get one... this phone is not meant to be carried in the front pocket of your jeans, sat on, etc... that being said, i love my pre and can not imagine ever using anything else
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    if you are hard on phones, dont get the pre... if you treat high dollar electronics like you should, then by all means get one... this phone is not meant to be carried in the front pocket of your jeans, sat on, etc... that being said, i love my pre and can not imagine ever using anything else
    Well I'm a male, so I carry my phone in my front pocket. However, I am very careful with my electronics.. since I paid for them. I use screen protectors and case protectors on my past phones...

How bad/good is the pre's hardware? Since I am buying in April...will they be newer more durable hardware models? or will I be receiving one from august or so? I want this phone to last me atleast a year or two, before it gives out.
    I have no problems keeping it iin my front pocket. However I think it feels ao good in my hand that I find myself carrying it in my hand often. Get a ZAGG skin for it. Indestructable and lifetime replacement. And get the insurance for it from your carrier, just in case.