View Poll Results: Could webos Licensing Be Palmīs Salvation or What?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Licensing webos could be Palmīs salvation

41 48.24%
  • No, webos isnīt ready for Licensing

7 8.24%
  • Just improve the hardware

37 43.53%
  • Just advertise more

24 28.24%
  • Itīs too late, Palm is dead.

7 8.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Could WebOS Licensing Be Palm’s Salvation? or what?

I read this article on all things digital
    Analyst: Palm Could License WebOS | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD

and I was making some questions

Up to this time, with low sales, pushing back news of Palm devices to a new carrier launch to June, and expecting a lower sales income report for tomorrow ??, what options are left for boost Palm?
    1) Better hardware.
    2) More devices.
    3) More carriers.
    4) More time.

These are the only things Palm needs to succeed, and they're all attainable in the medium to long term. Palm will be fine: no OS licensing needed (although I'd love to see WebOS on a Blackberry).
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    1) Better hardware.
    2) More devices.
    3) More carriers.
    4) More time.

These are the only things Palm needs to succeed, and they're all attainable in the medium to long term. Palm will be fine: no OS licensing needed (although I'd love to see WebOS on a Blackberry).
    Androids success is based in the OS licensing. Manufacturers like LG, Samsung, HTC and others got the license and made the hardware for them, free , as they want to. Is this the right path for Palm, besides those on the poll and yours?
    The survey answers are incomplete, there should be one along the lines of Licensing would be a horrible idea.
    Also you can vote for more than one =P

I think palm's WebOS won't die ... The company might have to restructure but that seems unlikely.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    1) Better hardware.
    2) More devices.
    3) More carriers.
    4) More time.

With What?

Tomorrow it's likely that the company will outline a cash burning marketing push to try and turn around disappointing sales - where is the R&D money coming to come from for any of these things?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    With What?

Tomorrow it's likely that the company will outline a cash burning marketing push to try and turn around disappointing sales - where is the R&D money coming to come from for any of these things?
    I don't know because I'm not Palm's financial advisor. We already know that a new device is on the way (confirmed), which means new hardware (confirmed), O2 & other carrier's exclusivity deals will eventually run out (confirmed) & time...?

I don't understand what's so hard to believe here. Palm are not bankrupt.
  8.    #8  
    With What?

R&D money,From the stockholders and sales.

I hope the sales forecast deviation is not more than +- 3.5%
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Androids success is based in the OS licensing. Manufacturers like LG, Samsung, HTC and others got the license and made the hardware for them, free , as they want to. Is this the right path for Palm, besides those on the poll and yours?
    Yeah except Google already had tons of resources, and other areas of their company to fall back. That is how they can experiment with things like this. Same for Apple and Microsoft.

How much money can Palm make just reselling an OS on hardware they don't have control over?

If you say palm would get better hardware, well maybe Palm just needs to work on better hardware for their own phones.

Palm has already done this once with their original OS. They spun off a separate company to just do the OS and they had Palm devices not made by Palm. It ended up wasting a bunch of time, and PalmOS hardly evolved. They put out some decent handsets but things were getting so stale. WebOS is a total reboot, and to start again now marketing just the OS might not be the best idea.

I am sure they aren't as guarded as other companies with their OS, and would be open to other devices ; however, spending time and energy developing and marketing it as a product could set them back now when they are just starting back up. Perhaps if another company interested in the OS came to Palm and contracted them to adapt and license the OS for their device and they partnered together it would be helpful.

If they could just use more solid hardware though, maybe they just need to go back to someone like HTC or spend some engineering time coming up with a new phone.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I don't know because I'm not Palm's financial advisor. We already know that a new device is on the way (confirmed), which means new hardware (confirmed), O2 & other carrier's exclusivity deals will eventually run out (confirmed) & time...?

The problem is cash burn, if the predictions for tomorrow's results are about right, Palm simply does not bring in enough revenue to do anything but a last ditch attempt at turning around the current product range via go for broke marketing. It's fine saying "new device" on the way but adoption of current devices has been poor and this has lead to excess stock in channels - that's not a great backdrop to try and launch a third device against. I think (and so do many analysts) that a liquidity crunch is around the corner.
  11.    #11  

Agree ,Palm is not in bankrupt .

It is just in time to make fast changes
    Licensing will only help if they mandate certain specs, but even then, who's to say that the build quality is worse from a licensed manufacturer, further hurting Palm.

The answer is to get on more carriers and refresh the hardware in June.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    R&D money,From the stockholders and sales.

I hope the sales forecast deviation is not more than +- 3.5%
    Palm themselves have said that full 2010 revenues are expected to be "well below" the previous estimates. The bigger problem is this excess volume in the sales channels, networks with stock sitting around in warehouses aren't going to be making big orders going forward.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    Yeah except Google already had tons of resources, and other areas of their company to fall back. That is how they can experiment with things like this. Same for Apple and Microsoft.

How much money can Palm make just reselling an OS on hardware they don't have control over?

If you say palm would get better hardware, well maybe Palm just needs to work on better hardware for their own phones.

Palm has already done this once with their original OS. They spun off a separate company to just do the OS and they had Palm devices not made by Palm. It ended up wasting a bunch of time, and PalmOS hardly evolved. They put out some decent handsets but things were getting so stale. WebOS is a total reboot, and to start again now marketing just the OS might not be the best idea.

I am sure they aren't as guarded as other companies with their OS, and would be open to other devices ; however, spending time and energy developing and marketing it as a product could set them back now when they are just starting back up. Perhaps if another company interested in the OS came to Palm and contracted them to adapt and license the OS for their device and they partnered together it would be helpful.

If they could just use more solid hardware though, maybe they just need to go back to someone like HTC or spend some engineering time coming up with a new phone.
    Interesting info about Palm OS.

But I was also wondering why they void the robust Palm OS to none and just did not take it to the next level for multitouch (apples trademark) ALL TOUCHS devices and having then, more than 30.000 apps???
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    Also you can vote for more than one =P

I think palm's WebOS won't die ... The company might have to restructure but that seems unlikely.
    Yes, they wonīt by now, and changes have to come
    Interesting info about Palm OS.

But I was also wondering why they void the robust Palm OS to none and just did not take it to the next level for multitouch (apples trademark) ALL TOUCHS devices and having then, more than 30.000 apps???
    Sometimes you just have to start fresh. Apple did it with OSX and ditched the old stale MacOS and it ended up a lot better. Microsoft tried to revamp their OS by adding touch and it just came out like the same clunky OS with touch features added. Sometimes you have to knock an dilapidated old building down in order to build back a nice new one, even if you have some good memories there.
  17.    #17  
    Palm themselves have said that full 2010 revenues are expected to be "well below" the previous estimates. The bigger problem is this excess volume in the sales channels, networks with stock sitting around in warehouses aren't going to be making big orders going forward.
    Yes, because it might take more time to sale the devices
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Licensing will only help if they mandate certain specs, but even then, who's to say that the build quality is worse from a licensed manufacturer, further hurting Palm.

The answer is to get on more carriers and refresh the hardware in June.

Yes, A very detailed agreement with hardware quality specifications is needed for licensing in this case you are mentioning and for avoiding this risk.
    Palm has gone on record saying they have about $10 million dollars stashed away for the sole purpose of a last ditch effort to save their *****. Just sayin...

Anyways, I think licensing out the OS could be a brilliant way to stay in the game if the hardware thing does not pan out. HTC has pretty much just lost its most valuable partner in terms of customization (WinMo) and will likely want something other than Android to be available for their handsets. As is, there's no reason for it. Sure, Palm's stock has dropped, but this isn't the lowest it's been by any means. They still have every other option available and licensing, while I feel it would be AWESOME, should really be the last resort and come about as a result of a restructuring within Palm.
    As revolutionary as it was at the time, PalmOS licensing wasn't a big money maker for Palm in the past. Why would WebOS make Palm money now when it's competing against 4 other modern mobile OSes (iPhone, BBOS, Android, Windows Phone 6.5/7), two of which (Android, Windows Phone 6.5/7) are designed to be used on multiple platforms?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast