View Poll Results: Could webos Licensing Be Palmīs Salvation or What?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Licensing webos could be Palmīs salvation

41 48.24%
  • No, webos isnīt ready for Licensing

7 8.24%
  • Just improve the hardware

37 43.53%
  • Just advertise more

24 28.24%
  • Itīs too late, Palm is dead.

7 8.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    my biggest fear isnt so much losing my Pre....Its losing webOS. I hope webOS is around for years to come. Its just so much better than anything else.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beware View Post
    Palm has gone on record saying they have about $10 million dollars stashed away for the sole purpose of a last ditch effort to save their *****. Just sayin...

Anyways, I think licensing out the OS could be a brilliant way to stay in the game if the hardware thing does not pan out. HTC has pretty much just lost its most valuable partner in terms of customization (WinMo) and will likely want something other than Android to be available for their handsets. As is, there's no reason for it. Sure, Palm's stock has dropped, but this isn't the lowest it's been by any means. They still have every other option available and licensing, while I feel it would be AWESOME, should really be the last resort and come about as a result of a restructuring within Palm.
    well, official numbers about cash not available yet and IMHO they will need more than $10 millions for a last effort.

Maybe simultaneous options could be the solution
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    As revolutionary as it was at the time, PalmOS licensing wasn't a big money maker for Palm in the past. Why would WebOS make Palm money now when it's competing against 4 other modern mobile OSes (iPhone, BBOS, Android, Windows Phone 6.5/7), two of which (Android, Windows Phone 6.5/7) are designed to be used on multiple platforms?

Times change, maybe now it is a good time for licensing???
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by sublimobile View Post
    my biggest fear isnt so much losing my Pre....Its losing webOS. I hope webOS is around for years to come. Its just so much better than anything else.
    Biggest fear for everyone and it wonīt dissappear for sure.
  5.    #25  
    wel, it is interesting to know that webos might not be ready for licensing. If you read precentral front page now and vote:

ATTACK OF THE BUGS
    http://www.precentral.net/attack-bugs-webos-14
  6.    #26  
    well, it is interesting to know that webos might not be ready for licensing. If you read precentral front page now and vote:

ATTACK OF THE BUGS
    http://www.precentral.net/attack-bugs-webos-14
    There's been discussion on this many times before, maybe not on this specific article, but in general on licensing.

As mentioned above, it was the biggest mistake Palm ever made, and I think they're smart enough to not repeat it.

It's not that the OS isn't ready for it, it's that it's a stupid idea.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Yes, because it might take more time to sale the devices

There is a wider problem in that smart-phone lifecycles are getting short, the Palm Pre is now an old phone.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    The survey answers are incomplete, there should be one along the lines of Licensing would be a horrible idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    There's been discussion on this many times before, maybe not on this specific article, but in general on licensing.

As mentioned above, it was the biggest mistake Palm ever made, and I think they're smart enough to not repeat it.

It's not that the OS isn't ready for it, it's that it's a stupid idea.
    +1
    Licensing and/or some well thought out strategic alliances might be a good idea. I think, perhaps, borrowing the linux notion of different interfaces over a common core might be the way to go. Perhaps partner with HP and/or Dell (heard rumors of both wanting to move into the smartphone market) and allow them to put their own face on devices running WebOS and capable of running existing apps.

From a business perspective, I'm more and more convinced Palm the company would be well served by Elevation Partners and, perhaps, a few other key investors simply taking the company private. This would allow them to focus on the product and operations changes Palm needs without notoriously short-sighted analysts looking over their shoulders, not to mention the rather large blocks of time executives must devote to investor relations. When they turn things around, they can take the firm public again, reaping in their substantial profits.

Gargoyle
  11.    #31  
    In conclusion after reading your opinions, the result of the poll and the poll on front page about bugs still on webos 1.4 .

Licensing is a good idea ,but not now because webos is not robust enough yet and for now the second alternative of improving the hardware might be the best choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Androids success is based in the OS licensing. Manufacturers like LG, Samsung, HTC and others got the license and made the hardware for them, free , as they want to. Is this the right path for Palm, besides those on the poll and yours?
    I also see that to be a big downfall of the Android software...There are so many versions of the software flying around out there...1.6/2.0/2.1 and then variations between the versions. IMO that hurts more than helps.

Yes, I'd like to see Palm license out the WebOS, but only if the software stayed mainstream, no diversions.
    No way. Palm needs to keep control of the hardware to give a seamless experience. If you license the OS you will get too many form factors and fragmentation ala Android which would kill any continuity with the OS.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    No way. Palm needs to keep control of the hardware to give a seamless experience. If you license the OS you will get too many form factors and fragmentation ala Android which would kill any continuity with the OS.
    Exactly my point A few people I work with have various versions of the Android software, each wanting things from each version from each other, and neither are entirely satisfied. They love the WebOS, not the hardware though. I had asked them if the phone were a little bigger, and no wonky slider if they would consider a Palm, and it was a strong yes
    Android has been successful because of Droid and the massive ad campaign. If Palm puts out a next gen device that is build like a rock and advertises the crap out of it, Palm will be just fine.

What Palm has to do specifically, its outshine the Nexus One and the HTC Supersonic and out advertise them on Sprint.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beware View Post
    Palm has gone on record saying they have about $10 million dollars stashed away for the sole purpose of a last ditch effort to save their *****. Just sayin...
    There's a saying that goes "don't throw good money after bad" that comes to mind here...
  17.    #37  
    with the last Palm JR comments about todays financial results about : " we’re making great progress on future products, and we’re looking forward to upcoming launches with new carrier partners"

just waiting for a new improved device in hardware (4G wimax) and fixed bugs on webos
    I just sent these to as many @palm.com email addresses I could possibly find.

If you work for Palm and know a high up email, particularly in management, marketing, sales, etc... PLEASE forward this to them!

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm after his nap
    Here's my final end point in less words, but the other message is good too.

You can roll this all into a 30 second commercial with a voice overlay of a guy talking about nothing of what's happening on the 10 or so 3-second clips. But actually, now that I'm thinking about it... having 8 clips of the 8 things I mention below would be a far more effective ad.

I hope you agree. Please tell me if you think otherwise.

================

What they really need to do is GET MICROPHONE APIs.

Then all they have to do is convince Verizon (and all the other carriers') reps to at least MENTION that...

A) webOS has 3D gaming
    B) webOS has Flash
    C) webOS has microphone APIs
    *AND*
    D) Android has NONE OF THOSE!!

Not to mention...

E) webOS automatically updates itself every other month, bringing evermore features than when you buy it today!
    F) webOS backs up your most important data (excluding text messages and media!) on a daily basis to remote servers... all for FREE!
    H) webOS automatically reinstalls all your apps (as well your other important data) after switching to a new phone or a simple reinstall if absolutely necessary.
    I) etcetera, etcetera...
    *AND*
    J) Android has NONE OF THOSE EITHER!! :P

We need 1.5 to be a solid finish that just drills the crap out of Android on so many levels.

YOU CAN'T DO THE MARKETING RIGHT UNTIL YOU PAY EACH CARRIER $2 MILLION A PIECE JUST TO MENTION THESE ADVANTAGES AND BENEFITS... AKA: A PARTNERSHIP!!

Maybe not two mil a piece, but... you work somethin' out, see...

All these benefits and advantages, but NO REP WANTS TO MENTION IT!?! ***, CHUCK?!?

================

You can do the marketing right right now, but doing it WITH microphone is the final nail in the coffin that just kicks Android to the curb and then smashes his metal face in.

And heck... partnering with Verizon for $1 or $2 mil would be plenty, because Sprint would realize that WAS their premier phone and then toughen up all on their own. Or something like that.

Let's do lunch.
    Sales is the simple answer to the problem.

webOS is the solution... driven thru nationally televised ads (think droid style, effective & efficient) and partnerships based around sales reps memorizing these features, advantages, & benefits. Write a good enough script for Verizon and they will learn it for sure... even if you've gotta pay 'em to do it.

I don't understand why this is so difficult to see.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I just sent these to as many @palm.com email addresses I could possibly find.

If you work for Palm and know a high up email, particularly in management, marketing, sales, etc... PLEASE forward this to them!

Sales is the simple answer to the problem.

webOS is the solution... driven thru nationally televised ads (think droid style, effective & efficient) and partnerships based around sales reps memorizing these features, advantages, & benefits. Write a good enough script for Verizon and they will learn it for sure... even if you've gotta pay 'em to do it.

I don't understand why this is so difficult to see.
    Product, Price, Place and Promotion have to go together , simultaneously, otherwise any company will fail. And it means everything:

Product: Software and Hardware, working as tweens efficient sticked.Fix all the bugs once for all of webos 1.4 and give us a better hardware.

Price: affordable for the wideworld masses.

Place: Many carriers at the same time in any country. Try to avoid exclusivities.

Promotion: Own and Carriers Sales team enough trained. Just now are starting to support sales teams in the place. It has to be made from the very begining.

Advertise more like Palm is doing with the last ad, just show a little more the phone.

More Sales information and training points for the public in the most populated cities around the world.

I will use even flyers to give away on the bus and train stations with info about the advantages of webos compared with others.
    To determine if WebOS should be licensed to other hardware vendors all one needs to do is look at a couple bits of history.

1. PalmOS dominated the handheld market for many years. Why? Because you had so many choices of handhelds with PalmOS. Granted there were really only two games in town: PalmOS and PocketPC/WindowsMobile/whatevertheycallitthisweek. PalmOS won hands down.

2. Ever consider why we use MS-DOS/Windows based computers instead of Apple? Well..because every manufacturer was able to put MS-DOS/Windows on their computers. The one manufacturer (Franklin) that tried to put Apple's OS on their computers got shut down. There is a lesson to be learned here too.

The OS drives the hardware. So the OS needs to be widely available in order to get it to really succeed.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast