1.    #1  
    While not much on the iPhone makes me drool, I have to admit that as someone who flies 4 times a week, that thought of the paperless airline ticket that's featured on one of Apple's ads makes me want the same thing on my Pre.

Does anyone know if the ticket/check-in is an iPhone-only app or it something we Palm users can tap into?
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I get my boarding pass emailed to my phone by Continental. I open the web page while waiting on the security line and it just scans the phone. Works most of the time.
    Marty
    Handspring Visor -> Handspring Treo 180 That stated it would have Wi-Fi -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650->Treo 700P ->Centro->Pre
    i believe it is just website/email based, not necessarily an app...should work with most smartphones
    I did this on my Treo 700p. Nothing new about this feature, and it certainly isn't anything Apple started...
    Continental has paperless boarding passes. It gives you the option when you check in to get the boarding pass on your phone. Basically shows a barcode on your phone. You hand them the phone and they scan in. I use it a lot on my pre. It is not an app. Check with you carrier to see if they offer digital boarding passes.
    Quote Originally Posted by emajy View Post
    I get my boarding pass emailed to my phone by Continental. I open the web page while waiting on the security line and it just scans the phone. Works most of the time.
    Could you clarify 'most' when you say "works most of the time"?

I will be traveling next week and it will be the first flight since having my Pre+...and I'd like to give this a go (with paper one in my pocket 'just in case').

Another question though, they usually require you to show your ticket as you enter security... and they often make a pen mark on it...not sure I want a pen mark on my touchscreen...just sayin!

Seriously, I would like to go paperless. Can some of you seasoned Pre users who have traveled give us the 'what for' on the subject?

PS. On an unrelated note, Natchtswerg, I love your Avatar. Is that banded sandstone, perhaps in Southern Utah...Escalante River area? Perhaps 'The Wave' over near Bryce Canyon/Zion region?
    Its not a app. Sometimes it works at the airport and sometimes it doesn't. Some TSA people have the machines turned on when you get the ID checkpoint and some don't. I think other airlines besides Continental offers paperless boarding. Personally, printing the boarding pass is less of a hassle.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Could you clarify 'most' when you say "works most of the time"?

I will be traveling next week and it will be the first flight since having my Pre+...and I'd like to give this a go (with paper one in my pocket 'just in case').

Another question though, they usually require you to show your ticket as you enter security... and they often make a pen mark on it...not sure I want a pen mark on my touchscreen...just sayin!

Seriously, I would like to go paperless. Can some of you seasoned Pre users who have traveled give us the 'what for' on the subject?
    They won't mark your screen. When someone says that it works sometimes, we're referring to how janky the TSA equipment can be at times. I haven't used the paperless boarding b/c you just don't know which airport has it implemented (check your airline's website) and if it is implemented if the TSA folks have the machine turned. Sometimes the smurfs just don't feel like using the machine b/c you can stand there for 5 mins trying to get the barcode to scan.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Amtrak also sends an email with bar codes.
    You scan the bar code into a automated ticket machine.
    It did not scan properly for me and I had to go to the counter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg View Post
    While not much on the iPhone makes me drool, I have to admit that as someone who flies 4 times a week, that thought of the paperless airline ticket that's featured on one of Apple's ads makes me want the same thing on my Pre.

Does anyone know if the ticket/check-in is an iPhone-only app or it something we Palm users can tap into?
    Yes, I have done this with Delta.com

after on-line check in, it give you the option to send your boarding pass to your phone as a bar code image.

At security, there is a reader that sees the bar code image. Same at the gate when boarding the plane.

It was fantastic!
    Make sure your screen brightness is set pretty high. It works for me a lot better that way. Also, I don't know how Delta does it, but with Continental, if the airport or security does not accept/have the equipment to be able to read an electronic boarding pass, it will not give you the option when you check in to get the boarding pass on your phone.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for the responses. One of my coworkers with iPhone in hand was sort of waving it in my face. I had assumed it was a generic site, but thought I'd check to see if folks had tried it.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow night
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    It does work, as I've used it, but the problem with the web page is that you need to enlarge the 2D bar code so it's 1x1 inch or so. That messes things up when you try to have the scanner read it as you can shift the image.

I do a screen save of the pass off the web page, then just load the picture. I have two pictures I take, one of the entire e-pass and one of the enlarged 2D bar code. Then I just swipe between the two and I don't have the image shifting problems.