Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55
  1.    #1  
    By now, i'm sure most of you are familiar with this thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...help-palm.html

    It's a noble cause (relatively speaking) and it's nice to see so much enthusiasm, it really is....

    BUT -

    When i see something like this:
    Originally Posted by jrstinkfish:
    Maybe we can all chip in and give the money to Palm to find a new marketing firm.
    My head goes like this:


    -Say i brought my car to the mechanic to change the transmission.
    -Say the mechanic changed the tranmission (after numerous delays).
    -Say the new transmission fell out during my drive home.
    -Say i checked a "transmission forum" and was told to build my own parts for the transmission if i don't like it. (It's an understaffed transmission shop, why would i expect a complete, satisfactory job even though I paid good money for one?)
    -Say i say; "The hell with that, what other options do i have? I have to hear my wife's mouth if i don't get this car taken care of. (Dont worry, i'm safe, she doesn't know about my Pre|C "activities". )
    -Say i was told that some ingenious volunteers will give me all the parts i need to fix the transmission FOR FREE.
    -Say they even gave me detailed instructions to make it easier for me.
    -Now say some guy walking past me in the street says to me; "Hey buddy! You know what you should do? Donate your money to that transmission shop so they can shape up."
    -Wouldn't you shake your head in disbelief?

    Now there's nothing wrong with trying to help them by getting the word out on an OS you believe in...
    As you might already know, even I tried to help by starting a project with this thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ebos-here.html

    ........ But when you start asking people to chip in and donate money to a company that has 100's of millions of dollars... that does not care if your business or whatever you do for a living survives.... when there are so many other dire circumstances in this world... because flicking cards off the screen looks cool... is just going a little bit too far, in my opinion.
  2. #2  
    I started to shake head when I saw another thread by you but its a good point this time !!!! Ha ha lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3. #3  
    Complete agreement. Palm is my service provider. They either do a good job or I go somewhere else. Back in October, somewhere else was "HTC Hero" and Android. But since 1.4, I've become more patient and can wait at least until June 5 (when I get my next upgrade). Hopefully there will be a better smartphone option available on Sprint at that time.

    I find it amazing that there are so many people in these forums who think that expressing frustration with a product that is supposed to serve me, is somehow disloyal, unpatriotic, or heretical.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  4. #4  
    I guess it's bizarro day because I say that people should be free to do what they want. i don't want to be solicited by the "Save Palm - Donate time/money/FB space" brigade, but God bless 'em for being passionate about something and wanting to support it.

    They're no more in the wrong than any charity worker that you're free to smile at and walk on by,
  5. #5  
    Yep. we are the CONSUMER. they make products for US and our only support for them is buying the products.....if they cant do it w/o a little help on the side from us, then we should choose to go to another company who can (NOT saying leave palm, just stating the extremes)
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    They're no more in the wrong than any charity worker that you're free to smile at and walk on by
    dbd can speak for himself. As for me, the reason I relate to this is that the charity workers are also looking down their noses as you walk buy not helping. It seems to me that criticism of this device is really frowned upon around here. How many times have you read someone complain about a problem and express frustration to be snarkily told to go get an iPhone?

    I see it all the time. And it's annoying. I think this post is a nice rebuttal to that attitude. Palm is supposed to be serving me. If they can't fix that, they won't get any more of my money.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  7. #7  
    I guess you don't read a lot of my posts around here because I am quite well-known for both freely offering and defending criticism of this device. Yes, it is frowned upon around here. Yes, it is annoying.

    But the decision to "not give them any more of your money" should be a personal one based on your experience (and based on their continually declining sales, you're not alone). I don't see any need to try to rally people to NOT give them money any more than I see the need to try to rally people TO give them money/time/whatever. But I have no problem with other people giving up their resources.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    ........ But when you start asking people to chip in and donate money to a company that has 100's of millions of dollars... that does not care if your business or whatever you do for a living survives.... when there are so many other dire circumstances in this world... because flicking cards off the screen looks cool... is just going a little bit too far, in my opinion.
    Well, you've picked a pretty narrow point to focus on this time. And so, I'll agree with you: actually "donating" money to Palm would be silly.

    Of course, at the same time, your "transmission shop" example is also silly, and not at all relevant to the issue at hand. Nobody is saying that Palm should be supported in spite of the fact that they're making a really bad product and are failing because of it.

    Rather, we're saying that Palm should be supported because they're making a really good product that's failing in the marketplace for reasons other than them simply doing a horrible job. Sure, you can argue that they've made marketing mistakes, and that the Gen 1 Pre had some hardware issues for some people, but I think we all agree that webOS is a superior mobile OS and deserves more success. And, Palm is failing primarily because of crushing competition from companies much larger, much better funded, and much better supported in the press and by their carriers of choice.

    So, yes, I see what you're doing here by focusing on a really silly example of what can or should be done about it. But that shouldn't be taken to say anything about the efforts of the rest of us merely to help build some buzz around a platform that we all really like to use. After all, should Palm fail, what are our options--the iPhone (yuck!), Android (double-yuck), BB (kidding?), Windows Mobile (hee hee!), Symbian (not here, and even if), Windows Phone 7 (no, MS is blowing that one).

    In short: your example is apropos of nothing (and that's the second time I've used that phrase this week).
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    How many times have you read someone complain about a problem and express frustration to be snarkily told to go get an iPhone?
    Rarely if ever, actually. People are told to "go get an iPhone then" when they come on here and snarkily attack Palm and the platform that this site is built around, and when they themselves point out how great the iPhone is in comparison (or often the Hero, oddly enough).
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    ...
    ........ But when you start asking people to chip in and donate money to a company that has 100's of millions of dollars... that does not care if your business or whatever you do for a living survives.... when there are so many other dire circumstances in this world... because flicking cards off the screen looks cool... is just going a little bit too far, in my opinion.
    Did you take that post serious? Was it serious? I chalk things like that up to being similar to those offering to run Palm Facetious remarks that no one would really take seriously.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But the decision to "not give them any more of your money" should be a personal one based on your experience (and based on their continually declining sales, you're not alone).
    I agree with this. But I don't see that as the point of the post. Rather dbd is explaining *why* he's not going to participate. That he needs to explain this in this forum is IMHO evidence that there's a lot of hostility towards those who don't fall into fanatic status.

    I think the point you're trying to make is this: live and let live. And that is (I think) the point that I'd want to make, too. Those of us who are disappointed with this device want to use this forum as a place to vent in the same way that the fanatics want to use the forum to revel in something they think is great.

    I think there's room for both and I'm tired of being dismissed for not having the same religious experience that the fanatics have.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I guess you don't read a lot of my posts around here because I am quite well-known for both freely offering and defending criticism of this device. Yes, it is frowned upon around here. Yes, it is annoying.
    ...
    Oh baloney. It's not "frowned on around here". What is frowned on is when someone comes on and constantly offers the same complaints, presents opinions as if they are facts, and does little else but bash the device.

    But hey, if you're annoyed, there is an option...
  13. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #13  
    I do find some of the comments on this board a little strange. People seems to take any commentary about Palm that is not positive or is even neutral as an attack on themselves and their way of life. Stuff like "woo-hoo, go Palm" is all very strange to me - one company turning out plastic crap is much the same as another to me - they either produce something I want or they don't, getting personally invested in their fortunes (unless I worked for the company) is something I can't understand.

    The hate we seen on here for android and apple are the other side of the same coin - who cares?

    Having said that, I stick around as there are some good posters here who post with a rational mindset and it makes for an interesting read.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I do find some of the comments on this board a little strange. People seems to take any commentary about Palm that is not positive or is even neutral as an attack on themselves and their way of life. Stuff like "woo-hoo, go Palm" is all very strange to me - one company turning out plastic crap is much the same as another to me - they either produce something I want or they don't, getting personally invested in their fortunes (unless I worked for the company) is something I can't understand.

    The hate we seen on here for android and apple are the other side of the same coin - who cares?

    Having said that, I stick around as there are some good posters here who post with a rational mindset and it makes for an interesting read.
    agreed. however the whole rooting for a company is ok i think. just not when you feel personally involved (like life or death)
    Last edited by cnote1287; 03/17/2010 at 12:16 PM.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  15. #15  
    I love car analogies. Vrroom vrroom.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    People seems to take any commentary about Palm that is not positive or is even neutral as an attack on themselves and their way of life.
    Personally, I think this is a straw man. Mostly, it's negativity to no purpose that's frowned upon here. Constructive, rational criticism, looking for real answers to real problems, etc., is typically answered appropriately. Entitlement mentalities, trolling, and mindless bashing are also typically answered appropriately.

    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Stuff like "woo-hoo, go Palm" is all very strange to me - one company turning out plastic crap is much the same as another to me - they either produce something I want or they don't, getting personally invested in their fortunes (unless I worked for the company) is something I can't understand.
    So, you're not into sports either, I guess? And really, wanting to see Palm survive actually has a more rational basis than investing oneself in an athletic team. I use my Pre to be more productive, and there are apps and capabilities that aren't being made for it that would make me even more productive. There's no other platform out there that I think would make me as productive, and so I'm here.

    And really, I wouldn't spend any amount of money or time on "plastic crap," and don't know why anyone would do so.

    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The hate we seen on here for android and apple are the other side of the same coin - who cares?
    Another straw man. The vast majority of references that I see to Android and Apple (other than simple statements that webOS is preferable) are in response to folks who come here trolling for either or both. I don't see anything wrong with calling them out on it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  17. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #17  
    And really, I wouldn't spend any amount of money or time on "plastic crap," and don't know why anyone would do so.
    Of course you do and so do I (on ebook readers, ipods etc) - it's just a phone, it's not important in the great scheme of things, it's just an object.
  18. #18  
    you must be working Danny . That's why your so quiet ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Of course you do and so do I (on ebook readers, ipods etc) - it's just a phone, it's not important in the great scheme of things, it's just an object.
    That's a place where we differ, then. I buy things that enhance my life, make me able to accomplish more in less time, etc. And as far as where these things rank in the "great scheme of life," well, I think that's just a silly question and really is a bit condescending. For instance, I read a lot, and my ebook reader makes that much easier to do, far more often--are you really presuming to so glibly judge how I invest my time and money?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    you must be working Danny . That's why your so quiet ?
    Yeah, a little extra busy today, lol.

    It would be nice if somebody could do my job and donate some pocket change to me while i'm getting paid millions too.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions