Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Oh baloney. It's not "frowned on around here". What is frowned on is when someone comes on and constantly offers the same complaints, presents opinions as if they are facts, and does little else but bash the device.

    But hey, if you're annoyed, there is an option...
    Herbie, I'm touched by the stalking, but I'm actually supporting the Pre Defense Force here. Down boy....
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Did you take that post serious? Was it serious? I chalk things like that up to being similar to those offering to run Palm Facetious remarks that no one would really take seriously.
    Doh, you beat me to it. It creeps me out how often your comments line up with my thoughts.

    I do want to thank dbd for opening a new thread to vent his frustrations instead of continuing to clog up the viral thread with negativity. If people want to hate the idea, more power to them and hopefully they'll come here to bellyache now.

    My side of the argument is this: the term ****** is tailor made for the iphone. It got that because of people twittering and facebooking and blogging about it. Its the same thing here. Personally I enjoy trying to help Palm as the Pre has become a major part of my life. The more popular it is the better for me.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    My side of the argument is this: the term ****** is tailor made for the iphone. It got that because of people twittering and facebooking and blogging about it. Its the same thing here. Personally I enjoy trying to help Palm as the Pre has become a major part of my life. The more popular it is the better for me.
    Exactly. I think some folks fail to recognize just how important Apple's fanbase has been in making them so successful--and it hasn't hurt that a huge part of Apple's fanbase is made up of various popular tech pundits and "journalists." Palm was at a disadvantage out of the gate in this respect.

    I mean, seriously: of the 250,000 people or so (or more) who've pre-ordered an iPad (!), how many were non-Apple fans who ordered it just because they saw a commercial during the Oscars? I'd guess, not that many. I'd guess that the vast majority of them are the same people who eat, drink, and breathe Apple products--and who talk about them ad nauseum.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  4. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #24  
    To add to that, business news has been trying to do a hit job on Sprint for years, and is pretty much ambivalent on Palm.

    The company can't seem to control a news cycle worth a damn.

    You know, I hated itunes sync. I find the program buggy on the PC and don't use it. I really don't use my Pre as a media device at all--it's below my standards.

    But I loved the news Palm's attempts and Apple's reprisals created. Every upgrade had a blurb about Itunes sync. Then a few weeks later, Apple would shut down the sync and we'd get a blurb on that too. Apple made you think of Palm and visa versa.

    The new commercial is better, but it lacks that combat.

    Right now, the big story is Android 2.1. Oh, and Windows Phone 7, but more on that in a bit. Android 2.1 has been in the news since forever. I know more about Android 2.1 than is healthy, simply because you can't go a full week without at least TWO android stories, one about market share and the other about 2.1 or delays in 2.1 or which devices will now ship with 2.1.

    Android is winning the mindshare game. TV ads are huge, but it's more than just ads--it's this combat. Every google story makes you think of android. This patent war is going to be huge--so big in fact that you must take a side.

    Windows Phone is going to be huge, despite all the negatives. Integration with xbox live? Games that work on all platforms? A snazzy interface that is relatively locked, but beats the pants off the iphones? Sure-to-be-GREAT Office tools??

    And the negatives themselves are great-they get you talking about the phone. No multitasking? Let me get my oxygen tank as I go into apoplectic nerd-shock and talk about Windows Phone even more.

    It's the Lady Gaga effect. Everyone complaining about how they hate lady gaga is (moronically) adding to her fame.

    Palm has a plan. It's got a blueprint and is following it, and no one can say whether it will work or not because we simply don't know. I don't know the plan. And I don't know what they are trying to build with this blueprint longterm.

    I do know that they are doing it all in the dark. There's no ******* combat.

    There's no plans out there for synergy. No crazy mockups. The commercials are getting better, but they are still trying to sell themselves based on their name and there's no excitement.

    The beauty of making adds just like the iphone's ads? They looks JUST like the iphones. You think you want an iphone? Check THIS out. You think Apple you think Palm, which is the strategy everyone is using except palm right now. Windows 7? No multitasking? HOW APPLE OF THEM. Google and multitouch on android 2.1? MAN, THEY COPIED APPLE! Palm? What's Palm??

    It's almost tragic.

    My 2 cents? Palm needs to get it's *** in gear, stop building great foundations in the dark and start putting up some loftier constructions out in the light for all to see. Throw out some tech demos of the future of WebOS with crazy card layouts. Add in some experimental and cool functions into the os updates even if you arnt sure if you are going to keep them later (The 'forward swipe' for instance. That was a great little feature that I'm sad to see go, but what annoys me is if they were willing to do away with such a USEFUL feature, why weren't the 'blinking led' and 'led flashligh' operational to begin with? If they start breaking pre's, disable them in the next patch. Let's Go.) Straight up pay 4 companies insane cash to give you 4 KILLER apps that make people go WOW.

    Stop being so ******* passive and take some bites out of this market share pie.

    But who knows what Palm's plan is but Palm itself. This could all be part of it. We just don't know because all that's in the news is Android and Windows and Palm is mum about everything but Chinese New Year.
  5.    #25  
    If The Pre Defense Force would please read my OP again, they'll notice (hopefully) that i made a point of saying that there's nothing wrong with trying to get the word out.
    I even reminded the P.D.F. that i made a thread to promote webOS too, just a few weeks ago:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ebos-here.html
    and i've made other threads like that here too, for instance:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ok-ur-pre.html

    Where was my negativity?

    Now if you guys continue reading that OP that i put together, straight from my "trusty" Pre, you might realize that the point i was harping on was the idea to chip in your pocket money to a multi-million dollar corporation in the fantasy-fed belief that you should do their work for them.
    Has anyone ever come knocking on your door offering to pay you and do your job at the same time?
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    If The Pre Defense Force would please read my OP again, they'll notice (hopefully) that i made a point of saying that there's nothing wrong with trying to get the word out.
    I even reminded the P.D.F. that i made a thread to promote webOS too, just a few weeks ago:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ebos-here.html
    and i've made other threads like that here too, for instance:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ok-ur-pre.html

    Where was my negativity?

    Now if you guys continue reading that OP that i put together, straight from my "trusty" Pre, you might realize that the point i was harping on was the idea to chip in your pocket money to a multi-million dollar corporation in the fantasy-fed belief that you should do their work for them.
    Has anyone ever come knocking on your door offering to pay you and do your job at the same time?
    I am pretty sure nobody in their right mind would say "yes, I want to help palm by just giving them money." Well, maybe university alumni telemarketers.

    My question is this: Do you believe that the quote you posted was serious?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Herbie, I'm touched by the stalking, but I'm actually supporting the Pre Defense Force here. Down boy....
    You are really hung up on this "stalking" nonsense, aren't you.

    If I see a post that's "baloney", I'll say so. The fact that so many of them are from you doesn't mean I'm "stalking" you, it means you post a lot of nonsense.

    The fact is that there are lots of posts and articles on this forum that are critical of Palm that are not "frowned" on by anyone. Yours tend to be, but it's not merely because they are critical. See if you can figure out why they are...
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    I am pretty sure nobody in their right mind would say "yes, I want to help palm by just giving them money." Well, maybe university alumni telemarketers.

    My question is this: Do you believe that the quote you posted was serious?
    Going along with the mood of that thread, i would say it's easily possible.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    I am pretty sure nobody in their right mind would say "yes, I want to help palm by just giving them money." Well, maybe university alumni telemarketers.

    My question is this: Do you believe that the quote you posted was serious?
    I asked the same thing, and he didn't answer.

    Frankly, I'm dumbfounded that anyone would think it was serious. About the only thing I would find more surprising is if whoever posted it really was serious.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Going along with the mood of that thread, i would say it's easily possible.
    C'mon now, nobody's asking if it was "possible". The question was/is, do you think he was serious?
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    C'mon now, nobody's asking if it was "possible". The question was/is, do you think he was serious?
    I'm stickin' with "easily possible".
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I'm stickin' with "easily possible".
    So, you've dedicated a rant thread about a statement that you're not even confident enough about to decide that the guy was serious?

    Wow.

    All this hullabaloo about a statement (in my opinion) was purely facetious. Not that I think was possibly facetious, but that I think was facetious.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    So, you've dedicated a rant thread about a statement that you're not even confident enough about to decide that the guy was serious?

    Wow.

    All this hullabaloo about a statement (in my opinion) was purely facetious. Not that I think was possibly facetious, but that I think was facetious.
    Let's see,

    You don't agree, therefore it's a "rant".
    I understand where you're coming from now.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    So, you've dedicated a rant thread about a statement that you're not even confident enough about to decide that the guy was serious?

    Wow.

    All this hullabaloo about a statement (in my opinion) was purely facetious. Not that I think was possibly facetious, but that I think was facetious.
    Agreed.

    Now...if the argument was about the folks spending money on websites and DNS names, then it would make sense to discuss. Obviously its their money so why anyone else cares is beyond me, but at least a discussion wouldn't be wasted.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Let's see,

    You don't agree, therefore it's a "rant".
    I understand where you're coming from now.
    No, actually you do not.
    "Rant" has nothing to do with whether or not I agree with you. It's a descrpitive term:

    rant   /rænt/ Show Spelled[rant] Show IPA
    –noun
    3.ranting, extravagant, or violent declamation.
    4.a ranting utterance.

    (the first two were for the word as a verb).

    Does "extravagent ... declamation" not describe your opening remarks on the thread? It's not a perjorative term...

    Your remarks were pretty extravagent. Ironically, I do basically agree with you, if the comment were meant literally. However, I don't think it was.

    If it was, the opening comment was still a rant.
  16. #36  
    Herbie, sometimes it's fun to watch you at work. Guess the PDF is slotted for overtime tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully you guys can stamp out rebellion and turn your efforts to the negative nancy editors of the main page who also call attention to incessant bugs and bad financials.

    Viva la PDF!
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Herbie, sometimes it's fun to watch you at work. Guess the PDF is slotted for overtime tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully you guys can stamp out rebellion and turn your efforts to the negative nancy editors of the main page who also call attention to incessant bugs and bad financials.

    Viva la PDF!
    LoL
  18. #38  
    you know what you guys need?

    some of this:
    (just the words, not the product itself!)

    This is my viral! each time i read a depression palm pre thread, i'll add this!
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Herbie, sometimes it's fun to watch you at work. Guess the PDF is slotted for overtime tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully you guys can stamp out rebellion and turn your efforts to the negative nancy editors of the main page who also call attention to incessant bugs and bad financials.

    Viva la PDF!
    You really need to make up your mind. Am I stalking you, or amusing you?

    Actually, I think it's a bit of both. Your obsession with my name, with somehow putting me in my place, and your indecision on whether you should have me on ignore, or respond with silly name-calling everytime I dare disagree with you probably says something about you rather than me.

    Here's the really funny part. I didn't interpret the comment about funding Palm as any sort of indication for love of the company, but rather a negative comment about Palm's marketing. And I didn't respond to that at all. So much for the imaginary "PDF".

    By the way, when I made my decision to go with Blackberry, was that because I was some sort of disgruntled member of the non-PDF? And when I became part of that group (i guess via appointment by you ... somehow), exactly how was that accomplished.

    You really are a bit self absorbed, aren't you?
  20. #40  
    54'40 or fight! Tomorrow, it's to the last man!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions