Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    I have a new Pre tomorrow, and am working proactively to deal with the expected battery life issues.

I've seen some cradle chargers and extra battery bundles on eBay, as well as 1800mh extended batteries.

Any experience? Touchstone is too expensive.

I would put the links in, but it was I am too new to post them. :-) Check out eBay items "USB Charger Dock Cradle+OEM Battery for Palm Pre Plus" and "1800 mAh EXTENDED BATTERY Sprint Verizon PALM Pre Plus".
    Touchstone too expensive? Shop around. It's the MUST HAVE accessory!! I love mine, and will never turn back!
    Touchstone too expensive? Shop around. It's the MUST HAVE accessory!! I love mine, and will never turn back!
    amzer 1400 battery (search in these forums) works OK
    charger from SF Planet was $10-$11 a little while ago
    Battery life is now much improved and will be OK if not searching for signal
    or doing intensive tasks for a long time
    I must agree, touchstone may seem a bit pricey "for a charger" but I think it's (dare I say) a "must have". Charging is much easier than using usb port (I find it bit iffy to open that slot and shut), and most of all (which this may not apply to everyone but) I like the fact that it adds slight weight to the phone - just enough to make it feel more substantial in my hands. Also the texture of the touchstone is much nicer and definitely good repellant against fingerprints.

Again, I understand the price concern, but along with other posters above, I absolutely would recommend it. I would ask you to give a second thought on it.
    my suggesting is... buy the touchstone with ur tax return. by the way, precentral store has a good deal on it(i think).
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    check around...
    I swear I saw a touchstone for $30.00 somewhere.
    You will be happy
    Give the battery a few charge cycles first. I've found that mine does pretty well after the first week.
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Thanks for all of the responses, everyone! I agree about the Touchstone being an awesome sync/charge solution. My issue is more about the weekend than the weekday, although a day full of meetings and walking around doesn't allow me to sit near the Touchstone either. I want to be able to be away from the charger AND have it last all day. That's why I was thinking of the extra battery or the extended battery. Anyone else use a battery-centric solution as opposed to a charger-centric one?
    I haven't bought an extended battery yet but I've read a ton on them. The mid grade one doesn't appear worth the money. The big one I hear you can get 2 full days of heavy use but it makes ur phone really big. It can't be used with the touchstone anyway so no need to buy both.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Sorry the touchstone isn't a "must have" until it does USB mode wireless.
    I have the Mugen 1400 mAh battery. It was a really good price compared to the others, so maybe it doesnt work quite as well as them. Even though the increase in battery life was noticeable, it really isnt that big of an increase. If you're gonna go for a larger battery, I would suggest either the 1800 or 2200 mAh battery (or whatever is out there in that range). I have heard great things about the 2200 mAh battery, but its so big that it comes with a larger back cover. I wish they could make that and still use the touchstone. I would buy one sooooo fast and I'm sure everyone here would.

Good luck...Let us know your results.
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    if you have winscp setup on your phone you can go wireless and not have to hook up a usb cable. I haven't thought about getting a touchstone because I have an extended battery but there is a thread that shows how to mod the extended battery. I will have to shop around for a touchstone now.
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    um. Your phone has an 802.11 radio in it. And the ability to run ssh, scp, sftp, nfs, and I hear reports of even samba.

If you are really adventurous, you could go all old school bbs and transmit over an ssh terminal session using zmodem just for the geek factor.
    Just got 2 Palm Pre's Yesterday
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post
    I have a new Pre tomorrow, and am working proactively to deal with the expected battery life issues.

I've seen some cradle chargers and extra battery bundles on eBay, as well as 1800mh extended batteries.

Any experience? Touchstone is too expensive.

I would put the links in, but it was I am too new to post them. :-) Check out eBay items "USB Charger Dock Cradle+OEM Battery for Palm Pre Plus" and "1800 mAh EXTENDED BATTERY Sprint Verizon PALM Pre Plus".
    Buy the Micro USB cable from a Radio Shack. It's $20 I believe and much longer. Works perfectly with the Pre and fits snugly (tighter than Palm Micro USB cable).
    touchstone was $30 on dell.com before, not sure now...but if you do you a bing.com shopping search for it, you should be able to find the touchstone for b/w 30-35 bucks...would highly recommend it.
    my touchstone was BOGO at VZW. Also with the BOGO smartphones deal, they gave me an extra wall charger for free, so now i have ways to connect both my touchstones to the wall for only $50.

The 2nd pre i got had the little USB port door snap off, so I'm trying to use it as little as possible! Just got my Seidio case and touchstone is working perfectly with it.
    I have a Motorola P790 Portable Charger - It give me extra power in my pocket...and not just for the Pre but for any mini or micro USB device (with adapter). Even better than a battery - because you can plug these in while you are on a call without losing the call. Best of all - no more running out of power while playing games in those tedious meetings!
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    If you are really adventurous, you could go all old school bbs and transmit over an ssh terminal session using zmodem just for the geek factor.
    ROFL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast