1.    #1  
    Help. Just joined and getting the Pre Plus this weekend. I currently have a Verizon Treo 755p and have used Palm products for 10 yrs!! I MUST have all my data that is on my desktop. What's the best product to use? I've heard about the Chapura Echo product and Pocket Mirror. Not sure if I want to remain tied to the desktop but I know that I NEED all my contacts, calendar info, etc.

What does everyone recommend?
    I don't use Palm Desktop, I use Outlook, so my experience is with Pocket Mirror rather than Echo (Chapura has Echo for Palm Desktop and Pocket Mirror for Outlook, they do the same thing). I love Pocket Mirror, so I'd recommend Echo in a heartbeat. It's kind of pricey, but very worth it for me.

If you don't want to go that route, I think Palm has a one-time-use migration tool that will move your contacts and stuff once. I saw the option when I first got my Pre, but never used it so someone else will have to help out here.
    I am on a Mac, and used to use missing sync after palm desktop became a pain and they never made an intel version. When I got the pre I synced everything with my computer's address book and calendar, which I converted to use google services. Once you have everything in the cloud, making it work on the pre is easy. I set my primary accounts to google ones, and then tell my Mac to sync with it. No extra software needed.

I don't know if theres a way to do that easily on the PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by dramagirl View Post
    Help. Just joined and getting the Pre Plus this weekend. I currently have a Verizon Treo 755p and have used Palm products for 10 yrs!! I MUST have all my data that is on my desktop. What's the best product to use? I've heard about the Chapura Echo product and Pocket Mirror. Not sure if I want to remain tied to the desktop but I know that I NEED all my contacts, calendar info, etc.

What does everyone recommend?
    You didn't mention what data specifically. I was never much of a "memo" user on my Palm devices (over 10 years myself, just didn't use those much), but was dependent on DateBk temendousely.

If you're somewhat in the same boat, I'd recommend not jumping in to the "wired transfer try to make it like the old Palm" boat right off the bat.

Get a Google account. Use that for a few weeks for appointments (there are some utilities around that will assist in moving the data to Google, if you need help asK). Play around with the synchronization of diverse contact and email accounts. In other words, don't try to force the Pre to be something else, at least until you're sure that what it does do natively doesn't work for you.

I was very skeptical of the Google Calendar option when I first got mine. When I finally took the plunge, I've found that I prefer it tremendously over what I had with the Treo.
    use echo free triall to move it fom desktop to phone.

do you plqn to keep syncing with desktop or outlook?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You didn't mention what data specifically. I was never much of a "memo" user on my Palm devices (over 10 years myself, just didn't use those much), but was dependent on DateBk temendousely.

If you're somewhat in the same boat, I'd recommend not jumping in to the "wired transfer try to make it like the old Palm" boat right off the bat.

Get a Google account. Use that for a few weeks for appointments (there are some utilities around that will assist in moving the data to Google, if you need help asK). Play around with the synchronization of diverse contact and email accounts. In other words, don't try to force the Pre to be something else, at least until you're sure that what it does do natively doesn't work for you.

I was very skeptical of the Google Calendar option when I first got mine. When I finally took the plunge, I've found that I prefer it tremendously over what I had with the Treo.
    I did the same thing and waited before I sought a desktop solution. You should definitely get a Google account, if only for a more reliable backup for your contacts. I tried using the Google calendar as my primary desktop calendar for a few weeks. I found that it could not do a few of the things that I was used to in Palm Desktop. So I tried a couple of trials of third-party syncs and ended up buying CompanionLink for Google. It syncs my Palm Desktop with Google calendar and the Pre also syncs to Google calendar. It works for me.
    I use echo with desktop and LOVE it!
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I did the same thing and waited before I sought a desktop solution. You should definitely get a Google account, if only for a more reliable backup for your contacts. I tried using the Google calendar as my primary desktop calendar for a few weeks. I found that it could not do a few of the things that I was used to in Palm Desktop. So I tried a couple of trials of third-party syncs and ended up buying CompanionLink for Google. It syncs my Palm Desktop with Google calendar and the Pre also syncs to Google calendar. It works for me.
    That's a fair assessment. You tried it the "new way", and it didn't work for you. At least you gave it a shot though.

By the way, I too use Google Companion. Unfortunately, my work location doesn't allow any outside in access to the system except through WebAccess (for calendar/email/contacts). I got permission to use companionLink for Google to sync my calendar and address book (which is all I really needed from work).

For personal stuff, I use about 7 different Google Calendars.

I should also mention, the added advantage of moving from Palm's desktop calendar app to Google is that you can share selected calendars with others. My wife was never much of a "use the calendar" person (except for work, which requires she do so) until she got her Pixi. She loves having shared calendars, and actually began using them for stuff outside work as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

By the way, I too use Google Companion. Unfortunately, my work location doesn't allow any outside in access to the system except through WebAccess (for calendar/email/contacts). I got permission to use companionLink for Google to sync my calendar and address book (which is all I really needed from work).
    If there were a way to organize my contacts on the Pre into categories like "Google"/"Personal"/etc, I would love to sync my work contacts/calendars (i'm in the same boat as you for work access).

But right now my contacts are a huge jumble.
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    If there were a way to organize my contacts on the Pre into categories like "Google"/"Personal"/etc, I would love to sync my work contacts/calendars (i'm in the same boat as you for work access).

But right now my contacts are a huge jumble.
    Unfortunately, not really. However, there are a couple of things you can do as workarounds.

First of all, it's a good thing to understand that WebOS was designed to handle contacts differently than what we were all used to. This isan't an "address book", it's a contact list. Thus, it's designed to have all of your contacts together. Even though I added "categories" to all of my contacts in PalmOS, I've found I don't really need them on the Pre. I don't find myself browing throught the Contacts app looking for users that are in certain categories.

That said, if you really need this functionality, there is a way to do it. I'm going to use John Doe as an example.

John works with me at Acme. I have several others in my address book that work with me at Acme, so I enter "Acme" under the company name. When I start typing Acme (from the Contact App, or even from the launcher, using universal search), it calls up all of my contacts that have Acme as the company field.

John also is active in the DeepLake Sailing Club (DLSC). I have several folks that I like to keep in touch with from there too, so here's what I do. I create another entry for John Doe. For the company field, I put in DLSC. I even decided to get creative, and put "Slip 199" as the address. In short, I created two entries for John Doe, based on the "category" I want him in.

Then, I opened John's most important (and most complete) entry, so it would be the "primary" entry in the Contact App. Then I tapped his name at the top of the screen, so it opened up showing me link more profiles. I clicked that, and added the secondary listing for John Doe.

Now the two contact listings are tied together as one. If I do a search on Acme, it will find John and all of the other Acme employees. If I do a search on DLSC, it will find John and all the other members I did this for.

There are lots of different "special" ways you can use this. For instance, if you don't want the extra contacts cluttering up Google (or Exchange, or whatever you sync with), you can put the "extra" entries in your Palm profile, then they just stay local. If you're using Google though, you can actually link those entries together.

You can do similar things with the "nickname" field.

An added avantage of this over the old PalmOS method - you can have one user in as many different "psuedo-categories" as you like.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks to all for the replies! I'm taking the plunge this weekend so I'm sure I'll be back with a ton of questions!!! I'm sooo EXCITED about getting the PRE PLUS!
    Thanks a lot for the info hparsons! I think that both of your examples will be able to help me out quite a bit.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I am also a long time Palm user: 6035 (in 2000) > i500 > 700p > Palm Pre

I was very wary of "The Cloud." My data is on my desktop, and that's the way (uh huh, uh huh) I like it. I did quite a bit of research on this issue because my boss and his wife wanted the same thing (and I would take the heat if it didn't work just right).

Echo is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I can't recommend it highly enough if you want to continue syncing to your Palm Desktop.

That being said ... my boss, his wife, and I all have Google accounts. My boss really likes the Google calendar (and I admit it has some advantages), but I don't like the way contacts are displayed or the contact options. Also, I use "To Do" and "Memo" on the Palm Desktop a ton! So, I guess I am telling you that there are advantages to succumbing to "The Cloud." And, a lot of members here will encourage you to convert to "The Cloud."

However, if you utilize all of the Palm Desktop resources, you will LOVE using Echo. And, you can always slowly wean yourself from Palm Desktop if you find other options that you like better.
    Nicky
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Yeah--with the help of this site I was able to transfer my contacts data from the desktop to Google and to the Pre.

But the Calendar function doesn't create a CSV file which is needed to transfer to Google.

Like others I am a very long time Palm user and have years of Calendar data. I am willing to "let go" of the desktop but don't know how to do this one-time transfer from Desktop Datebook to Google Calendar.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!

Thanks. JC