Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Anyone catch the comment the guy made in the video (link here) that was on the front page today, about the flash demo and the remarks the guy made about the camera and its depth of field?

At about 1:03 into the video he starts talking about the changes in 1.4 where the cameras depth of field changed via the software for the camera. And how Palm could possibly tweak this for future enhancements.

My question is, do you think if this guy is correct that Palm could "tweak" the software rendering aspect of the camera enough in order to let the Pre actually read barcodes and items with in 6-8 inches ok?

Obviously our camera sucks as of now for this without the Auto-Focus but if this guy is right and they are tweaking things like the depth of field, could they also tweak the clarity of the image up close?
    I doubt that they would/could optimise the DOF performance for 6-8 inches.
    If you do some research on the maker of the Pre's camera system, made by DxO Labs, you'll find a few references to how the "focus" can indeed be adjusted in software from near to far. If it can do actual macro isn't clear, but the depth of field does indeed seem to be determined entirely by the software. It's actually quite fascinating stuff.

In fact, check this out from last year: http://mypre.com/more-uncovered-info...era-200919274/

Sure looks like a nice macro shot there in the middle of the page... Not sure if this was done by exactly the same system as is in the Pre, but it certainly could be.
    Last edited by wynand32; 03/17/2010 at 01:37 AM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I doubt that they would/could optimise the DOF performance for 6-8 inches.
    Well, since it's done in software, if it can be adjusted like that, then why couldn't they do it on the fly? Just pure speculation and may make no sense, of course, but my brain is fried this evening.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    It would be nice to have two modes in the camera-- closeup and normal.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Wow I thought this was completely out of the question ...since i've read on other threads that it could not be done... This is very interesting news!!!
    Feature update could deliver a tap zoom.. that would be cool
    The most important camera-related fix is to get the crappy Photos app up to speed ASAP. There's no reason that 9+ months after lauch, we should still have to wait for WebOS to individually process every photo it's taken for 2-4 seconds before you can look at it as it was taken. Similarly, my friends' Facebook photo albums (in the official Facebook app) always render this same way. They also need to get rid of the scrolling stuttering when you're looking at thumbnails of all of your photos.

For me, it's always "swipe down...swipe down....watch screen pause and become unresponsive for 3-5 seconds...scrolling resumes". I'm always self-conscious when showing photos I took on my Pre to friends with iPhones, Blackberries and Droids.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I think this has been said before, but still think it's impossible...I haven't seen a fixed focus camera been able to be focused yet by software....however software can enhance the sharpness and create blurs if needed, but that is not true focus changes.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    If you do some research on the maker of the Pre's camera system, made by DxO Labs, you'll find a few references to how the "focus" can indeed be adjusted in software from near to far. If it can do actual macro isn't clear, but the depth of field does indeed seem to be determined entirely by the software. It's actually quite fascinating stuff.

In fact, check this out from last year: More uncovered info about the Palm Pre’s camera - My Pre

Sure looks like a nice macro shot there in the middle of the page... Not sure if this was done by exactly the same system as is in the Pre, but it certainly could be.
    That link gives me great hope for the Pre's camera but then it makes me think why has Palm not dealt with or corrected the depth of field already. You would think that they would want developers to write more apps and barcode apps could come out like crazy if they enhanced this. Either that article is BS or Palm is holding back on updating the software/firmware. The 2nd pic with the gems or blue glass is perfect. That would definitely suffice for barcode scanning. PALM what the F?