Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Has anyone had anything similar happen? I dropped it while it was open, and now I can't get it to close. The slider slides down about 3mm. Nothing looks bent, even after taking out the battery. I've put a bit of pressure trying to close it as well, but nothing. It still functions while in the open position.

I'm thinking it's unable to be fixed, so where's the cheapest place I can buy a new Pre without a contract?
    Try plugging in the micro USB port and wiggling it around. I had the same thing happened and that worked; I didn't have to use much force, the wiggling just freed it up.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Sounded like a good idea and I thought it would work but it didn't.
    There has been talk of solutions to the 'oreo' effect by bending feet that run in the runners. Maybe they are your problem.

Here's one thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...e-no-tape.html
    Quote Originally Posted by coachdvc View Post
    Has anyone had anything similar happen? I dropped it while it was open, and now I can't get it to close. The slider slides down about 3mm. Nothing looks bent, even after taking out the battery. I've put a bit of pressure trying to close it as well, but nothing. It still functions while in the open position.

I'm thinking it's unable to be fixed, so where's the cheapest place I can buy a new Pre without a contract?
    Congratulations, you have now converted your Pre into a Pixi!

...and they said it couldn't be done. ha!
    try dropping it again. It is most likely stick in the track and another jolt would probably fix it.
    Do you have Sprint. If you do, hopefully you TEP. You would be able to get a new or refurb Pre for $100. I don't know what Verizon's insurance plan is. This is why you have an insurance plan. If you didn't get the plan then good luck. Maybe you can go into Sprint or Verizon, depending if you have Pre or Pre Plus, and they can try to fix it, or maybe you will get lucky and exchange it.

Good luck.
    =( Sorry to hear that.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    LOL There are some funny posts here. I actually got rid of my insurance a couple months ago. My problem is that I'm TOO careful. I'm so afraid of touching the screen or squeezing it too hard that when I pick up the Pre I don't grab it firmly enough.

I'm going to take it to Sprint and see if they can get it back on the track for me. I could probably do it myself if I could find the right screw driver to unscrew the back.

Thanks to everyone for responding at least. The "congratulations, you now have a Pixi" post made me LOL.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmNick View Post
    try dropping it again. It is most likely stick in the track and another jolt would probably fix it.
    Ahahahahaha!!!!

I figured, "what the hell" and dropped it again on my carpeted floor from about knee height. It fixed it!!! LOL

Thanks!!!!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    How funny another drop fixed it. This happened to mine not too long ago. Had to give it a pretty good squeeze to one side to make it close. Maybe I need to redrop it...
    Ahahahahaha!!!!

I figured, "what the hell" and dropped it again on my carpeted floor from about knee height. It fixed it!!! LOL

Thanks!!!!
    no that is a built in feature that the phone has, its called slider lock and only way to turn it on and off is to drop it.. lol
    Mine just got stuck and I did not drop it. I just opened it and it would not close...was caught on something. I wiggled it and got it to close. But it happened twice since. I think something has come loose or lifted around the track.

im selling mine for $250.00 with a touchstone charger, is in mint condition.
    Well as an engineer, when stuff breaks I fix it, so in this case I did like you all and dropped my phone and had it get stuck open. After building up some courage I tore down the Pre to see what the trouble was and not only found the root cause of the stuck open issue we are having but the Oreo others are talking about. This overall excited me finding two root causes to two major Pre Problems.

Anyway The correct fix for both is not for the faint of heart, you must be handy and have proper micro tools and some super glue. I'll post some pics and they should be rather self explanatory.

For the not closing problem. When we dropped the phone, part of the slide rail came unclipped and bent up (weird I know). Then when you try and close the phone it will jam. See pic for what the jamming looks like.

The Oreo comes from an inner aft slide guide either coming partly loose or in my case completely off. Again this was a piece popped into place. See pic for missing inner aft slide guide.

I chose to glue both pieces in place with some super glue to make it a permanent and reliable fix (rather then snapping the parts back in alone). You must be skilled in applying the glue and removing it once you realize how easy it is to glue your slider together. Did that a few times before getting it right. Anyway I hope this helps you folks and I am more than happy to share my diagnosis and fix.

Side note for why I think Oreo happens: Pres first came with quite a lot of Oreo in the first several batches, WHY? Because that inner aft slide guide (very small) has an offset on one side so positioning it is important. The offset is so minute it probably got over looked by workers or even machines installing the part (it can be installed backwards for double stuffed). Don't make the same mistake. Place the aft inner guide rail with the larger protrusion pushing against the slide rail. Just like a virgin....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CRAP! Mine just did the same thing, it slipped out of my hand in the car while open, only hit the console, maybe dropped 8 inches, and now stuck open! I'm going to try the USB wiggle and then try dropping it...Sprint Tech SUCKS so I doubt they will be able to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cupids_psyche View Post
    CRAP! Mine just did the same thing, it slipped out of my hand in the car while open, only hit the console, maybe dropped 8 inches, and now stuck open! I'm going to try the USB wiggle and then try dropping it...Sprint Tech SUCKS so I doubt they will be able to fix it.
    A couple drops of epoxy to stabilize it, and you have an oversized Pre! ouch!
    LMFAO! Dropped it on its bottom edge from about 2 feet off the carpet...slid right shut! HOW STUPID is that? Of course, now there is a huge gap at the top between the slide and the back...I TRULY hate this phone(for many reasons not just the crappy craftsmanship)...just waiting until I get more credit toward a new one to replace it. So dissappointed Palm...:-(
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    There has been talk of solutions to the 'oreo' effect by bending feet that run in the runners. Maybe they are your problem.

Here's one thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...e-no-tape.html
    my slider had a little oreo and i tried the fix for the slider... had to get a replacement phone. (:-( broke the damn circuit board,luckily i got a new one... they have no refurbish pre in stock. PS. I had to crazy glue the board and was hoping they didn't notice. (:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by cupids_psyche View Post
    For what it's worth, going to the Sprint repair facility is not too painful. They're not supposed to do anything with the Pre except ship it back and give you a refurb. I took a Pixi in with a cracked screen and walked out with a fresh refurb for $125 with no insurance. Lots cheaper than a new Pixi off contract.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer