1.    #1  
    Google is selling Nexus 1 direct on bands for ATT/Roger 3G for $529.

Well, dammit. That's tempting. Here I am, still on my 680 that I really need to clean out as I'm getting a lot of halts and a few bad resets.

I really want to wait for a Palm Pre+. I've played with a Palm at another carrier's store, and I seem to like what I've played with. I've always been a fan of palm's attention to user interfaces. I like the physical keyboard and the ability to do a lot of actions one handed.

But I've played with my girl friend's iphone and I'm not as allergic to a virtual keyboard as I would have imagined. Still wouldn't do an iphone though - don't want to jail break a phone to really own it.

Anyone have any guidance?

Yes, this is a palm board, not an android board.
    i was on the same boat as you were, patiently waiting for the palm pre plus on ATT, but gave in to the verizon plus...

also coming from a treo 680.

played around with my wife's iphone and jailbroke it to the max and still fell short of what i want
    Palm Pre Plus. The lack of a physical keyboard was a dealbreaker.

I rather use my E51 pseudo-smartphone with a keypad than any full screen slate device.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    OP, you have stuck it out this long with a 680, a 3 year old device, wait 2 more months (maybe) for an ATT branded or at least compatible device.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    AT&T WebOS launch delayed to probably june or july
    try the droid at a verizon store before you make any decisions. The droid is a google experience phone, and it for the most part is what you will see in a nexus one (nexus has a few more added features, and I think has a more recent firmware update).

main thing you need to try is the user interface. I personally find android to be clunky and inelegant, and I'm not alone on that. Upside to android is that it runs and handles many of googles services the best, and expectedly so.

research the issues the nexus one had on tmobiles network as well, cause if you do decide you like android better, it may still be smart to give it some time to see if the issues are present on atts network.
    Honest question - why would anyone want to use GSM in the US?
  9.    #9  
    Why GSM?

I'm in Seattle. ATT is actually very fast with excellent coverage here. My family and girlfriend are also on ATT, so a lot of my calls are in network.

With GSM I can talk and see the internet. (Well, not on my 680.... damn garnet.)

I went through two 650s and now my 680 via craigslist and ebay. I still have the same damn SIM card that I had when I used a dumb phone.

Plus, of all the carriers, ATT has a decent record in dealing positively with employee unions.
    Given how rapacious corporate America is, I kinda like knowing that some of my wireless dollars go to decent wages, benefits and some contract protections. You may not care, but then I think that's part of the problem.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    try the droid at a verizon store before you make any decisions.
    I tried a Backflip recently. That sucked.

Compared to the Pre that I tried at a Sprint store, the Backflip was a loser. It was unresponsive or the gestures were too unintuitive compared to a Pre in the 10 minutes I tried the two different phones.

I recently wanted to check out a droid but didn't have time to give it a shot. You're right, definitely something to do before dropping over $500.
    Its gonna be worth the wait for you just to wait for the pre to come to att, but who am i kidding of course I'm going to say that, cause I'm a palm head. have you ran a similar thread at android central lol and see what you get?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    AT&T WebOS launch delayed to probably june or july
    Here's a relevant comment from PalmInfocenter.com member "LiveFaith" about the source of the information in that article (Barrons):

"...... I put zero confidence in Barrons with their vested interest in Palm's collapse."

TTB

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet .....
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 03/17/2010 at 11:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by redgeek View Post
    I tried a Backflip recently. That sucked.

Compared to the Pre that I tried at a Sprint store, the Backflip was a loser. It was unresponsive or the gestures were too unintuitive compared to a Pre in the 10 minutes I tried the two different phones.

I recently wanted to check out a droid but didn't have time to give it a shot. You're right, definitely something to do before dropping over $500.
    the backflip has what moto calls "Moto Blur" on it. its basically a theme of sorts that also changes the UI. not many android users seem to care for it, but HTC's sense UI is great from my limited time with it. The droid is essentially bare bones android, which is called a "google experience phone". the nexus one is also a google experience phone, so the droid will give you the best idea of what to expect from nexus one. I personally didnt like what i saw in android, but you may. I hope you'll give palm a shot, and hope you wont be dissatisfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Sim card, faster 3g, more phone choice.

I know AT&T has a bad reputaion on the interwebs, but I have had nothing but great expierences with them since I had them back in 2004 when they were Cingular. 3g is very fast, I get coverage everywhere I go (including my home where even the almighty verizon doesn't have coverage), and the ability to switch phones on the fly and if I need to get a temp beater phone I can just get a gophone for $20 and pop in my sim. Also for the plan I need, it's te same price on all carriers so I wouldn't save any money by switching.
    Global Posts
    2,653 Global Posts
    Today it was announced that the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus are coming in the near future to ATT. Read more at BGR.
    This is pretty cool from the press release:

"Pre Plus comes with the Palm Touchstone(TM) Back Cover, so it's compatible out of the box with the revolutionary inductive Touchstone Charging Dock (sold separately). "

Smart on their part because it should result in more touchstone sales too.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I forgot i had posed in here, well carry on then