Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    I am pretty much sold on the getting a Sprint Palm Pre, I just have a few questions before I pull the trigger after April 1st.

    Smartphone Background: I am a long time Blackberry user.

    Usage Requirements: I travel for work frequently. I am a moderate texter and a frequent emailer. I need to enter data on company web pages which is not possible with the Blackberry, thus my attraction to the Palm Pre.

    Questions:

    1. Spell Check: This is something I really need for all the fast typing I do on the run. This is something I really like about the Blackberry. I have seen some talk about this in the forums, but which app or patch works the best and most similar to Blackberry’s spell check?

    2. Sync to Exchange: I spoke with my IT guy today. I told him I was getting a Palm Pre. He said that it was important that I set up my work email at the store, and then he’ll do all the work on my office computer the next day to get the contacts and calendar synced. I am a little confused here…Will my new Pre update exchange over the air? Will I not have to plug it in via usb cord to my office computer?

    3. Should I wait? Is the Sprint Pre going to be very out of date shortly? I am not one for chasing technology; you can never win that one. But, I am fearful that a month after I finally get this phone that Sprint is going to get the Palm Pre Plus. Not a big deal, however, I would still like the current version (I am a sprint premier member so I get a new phone every year). Does anyone think that the Palm Pre Plus will be coming to Sprint soon?

    Thanks for your help!
  2. #2  
    1)Not really a super spell checker on the Pre but there are patches to help specifically 3000 word auto replace.. Stock it does pretty well for most things but additional help is just a universal search away via google.

    2) I believe so, but someone with more knowledge of Exchange should chime in here.

    3)No date at all for any new hardware coming to Sprint, specifically not the Pre+ I'd imagine new hardware sometime by the end of the year but just like you said, Sprint premier customers get an upgrade each year so even so you wouldn't have to wait long.

    I say pull the trigger.
  3. #3  
    1 - No spell checker. Auto replace does more damage for me than good.

    2 - With WebOS 1.4, exchange support is great. You can just configure it on the Pre. You might need to add mail certificate files depending on your server setup. I get calendar, can Accept meeting requests, email, global address search of your Exchange address book. Works great. All over the air. Never needing to connect to usb.

    3 - I doubt we get anything until June and no promise it will be coming to Sprint.

    I'd say go for it. Such an upgrade from a Blackberry it isn't funny.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  4. #4  
    1, Spell check is fine, as was said, there's some patches that add more. Works fine for my somewhat limited typing. You're going to find yourself slowing down a bit for a short period anyway, getting used to the recessed slider keyboard over your brick formfactor 'Berry. Took me a couple of days of use to adjust to coming off a Treo.

    2. Typical Exchange setup. He'll have to add info for your Pre to hook up to Exchange properly. Support is included in the Pre, and easy to set up, but they may have added security levels you don't have access to.

    3. Nothing on Sprint as far as new hardware. Sprint won't get the Pre Plus, if we get a new piece of hardware, it will be something new and different, not a model that was released on another carrier. Partly why Verizon got the Plus instead of the older plain Pre. Besides, how many times have you waited to buy a new tech product, just to buy it, get halfway home, and spot a billboard going up advertising the next gen piece?

    I'd say go for it, but do read around here for awhile as well. If you happen to run into problems, its good to already have a working knowledge of how to fix it on the go. Given that you travel, and might not have reliable access to 'net service, be prepared.
  5. #5  
    I am a longtime BB user. Still use the Tour as my primary phone. I got my wife a Pre and I loved the UI.

    I recently got one for myself (yes, I have BB and Pre).

    I LOVE the Pre. However, the battery drain is significant compared to the BB. So, if you are away from your car / charge station, you WILL have some concerns. I wish the Spell check could be as good as the BB. Also, it will take some getting used to. I STILL hit the space bar twice, expecting a "period" and Capital letter on next word (sentence start). I also hold the letter down awaiting a capitalization! LOL

    2) as long as you have discussed the Exchange issue with your IT folks, so be it. I've heard different stories. Some good. Some not so good.

    3) No new hardware, but the Pre really is an excellent piece of equipment and the UI is amazing.
  6. #6  
    Just for a bit of background, I came from a BB (After iphone disappointed me) to the Pre and wouldn't trade my Pre for all the RIM products on earth. The battery drain is worse on the Pre than on any Blackberry but you also have to consider how much more the pre does than the standard Blackberry OS. I suggest if you get the Pre, get the Touchstone as well it helps with keeping it charged just simply because it's a drop and go solution. Either that or spare batteries which can be found on ebay for a couple of bucks. You can even get an extended battery which usually means no touchstone and extra bulk but better life. The battery life was the biggest (only) hurdle for me switching from the Blackberry but I got over it real quick.
  7. #7  
    Another few points (one good, one bad)

    Backup and Sync is not as easy as on BB. I was so used to simply plugging into my desktop and hitting "Backup" and "Sync" and it was EVERYTHING was done. With Pre, its a little more involved. Some things are "backed up" through Synergy and that is awesome. But not everything is, and what IS should never be trusted to the "cloud" and you need to make sure you have it all covered in other ways.


    Now the good: Synergy is the SH_T!!! I have several Google calendars linked and my secretary can schedule an appointment for me on my google calendar and it shows up on my Pre IMMEDIATELY. I can also schedule items and she will see when I am unavailable by just looking online. My wife can put events on HER google calendar (using her own Pre) and I can see what we are doing on Saturday as soon as she does it.


    That is just one part of synergy but it has made a HUGE difference for me. I sync my contacts to my Gmail account and the same holds there. I can enter a new contact in my Pre and it appears immediately in Gmail contacts. I then just sync Outlook to Gmail and I have all my contacts up to date and backed up.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by lou27md View Post
    I am pretty much sold on the getting a Sprint Palm Pre, I just have a few questions before I pull the trigger after April 1st.

    Smartphone Background: I am a long time Blackberry user.

    Usage Requirements: I travel for work frequently. I am a moderate texter and a frequent emailer. I need to enter data on company web pages which is not possible with the Blackberry, thus my attraction to the Palm Pre.

    Questions:

    1. Spell Check: This is something I really need for all the fast typing I do on the run. This is something I really like about the Blackberry. I have seen some talk about this in the forums, but which app or patch works the best and most similar to Blackberry’s spell check?

    2. Sync to Exchange: I spoke with my IT guy today. I told him I was getting a Palm Pre. He said that it was important that I set up my work email at the store, and then he’ll do all the work on my office computer the next day to get the contacts and calendar synced. I am a little confused here…Will my new Pre update exchange over the air? Will I not have to plug it in via usb cord to my office computer?

    3. Should I wait? Is the Sprint Pre going to be very out of date shortly? I am not one for chasing technology; you can never win that one. But, I am fearful that a month after I finally get this phone that Sprint is going to get the Palm Pre Plus. Not a big deal, however, I would still like the current version (I am a sprint premier member so I get a new phone every year). Does anyone think that the Palm Pre Plus will be coming to Sprint soon?

    Thanks for your help!
    Go for it. but I sure do recommend Verizon, because I need the coverage for all the time I spend on the road for work.

    In terms of BB, I still carry a BB Curve because my company makes me carry it for e-mail. It doesn't even have a voice plan because I think BB phones have terrible call quality and I refuse to use AT&T for my business phone. Now you know my biases...

    AND, my IT department won't let me sync the Pre with our Exchange server (somebody help me hack that, please). So, I got PocketMirror to sync my Pre with Outlook calendar, contacts, memos, and tasks on my PC (everything but email that I get on my BB). My PC syncs to Exchange when my laptop is attached to the VPN.

    The upside to this is that I never had to put all of my valuable contact information up on Google. I skipped that whole part of the install and my 3,000+ contacts are safe and confidential in Outlook, not some public cloud that can't be trusted...but I digress....

    So I can't speak to Exchange sync (I sync to the Outlook client on the PC, like we old-schoolers did with PalmOS).

    But, and a long-time crackberry user, I can tell you it will be 5 minutes or less before you forget you ever had a BB.

    The WebOS browser is a real browser, so you can work with web apps (if you have good enough eyesight), it has marvelous calendar and contact mgmt (palm basically invented those things).

    I'm telling you, the Pre Plus really rocks. The Sprint phone is identical but for less storage space. I have mine loaded with patches, apps, and music, and it is far from empty, so you should be fine...

    Don't walk... run to a phone store or better yet, order one on the internet RIGHT AWAY. You won't be disappointed.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Go for it. but I sure do recommend Verizon, because I need the coverage for all the time I spend on the road for work.

    I travel a lot too and I rarely notice any coverage issues on Sprint, to each their own of course. Sprint's coverage is quite expansive, coverage maps tell the tale as it were.
  10. #10  
    Just to be clear, the Pre has no spell checker, only auto-correct.

    Spell checker: indicates when a word is not found in the dictionary
    Auto-correct: automatically replaces misspelled words with closest match.

    In my opinion, the auto-correct is pretty limited and you really need to review after typing if it's important to be correct.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Just to be clear, the Pre has no spell checker, only auto-correct.

    Spell checker: indicates when a word is not found in the dictionary
    Auto-correct: automatically replaces misspelled words with closest match.

    In my opinion, the auto-correct is pretty limited and you really need to review after typing if it's important to be correct.
    Yeah, what he said that's what I meant in my original post I just worded it incorrectly.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Another few points (one good, one bad)

    Backup and Sync is not as easy as on BB. I was so used to simply plugging into my desktop and hitting "Backup" and "Sync" and it was EVERYTHING was done. With Pre, its a little more involved. Some things are "backed up" through Synergy and that is awesome. But not everything is, and what IS should never be trusted to the "cloud" and you need to make sure you have it all covered in other ways.
    I disagree with the backup comment. On my Tour, I realized just how much it DOESN'T backup when I had to restore from a backup (after the BB crashed and I had to reload the OS.... Different story). It restored all my messages (which was nice), but 3rd party apps were gone. Contacts and calendar I don't believe were restored either, but that part is fuzzy since it restored from my Outlook at the same time. With any other OS it would've been the opposite - emails could easily be put back on the OS since they're stored on the server anyway.

    Sorry for the rant. This BB burned me in that regard so I had to let it out. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
  13. #13  
    Nope. The phone doesn't compare to a Blackberry in terms of spell check. Sorry but that's probably the best and most defining feature of Blackberries. They have a wonderful typing experience.
  14. #14  
    I sync with Exchange and have gmail and facebook accounts. The contacts are all available virtually instantly and are never mixed. Exchange contacts are not sent to google. My exchange email often arrives on my phone before it hits my desktop. Calendar syncs perfectly and I find I enter more stuff into calendar on my phone as opposed to the desktop because it's so much more intuitive than Outlook. I did the same thing your IT guy suggested. I set up my exchange acct on the store demo to make sure it worked ans then just deleted it when I was satisfied.

    I actually ended up with Pixi for the keyboard and form factor. But make sure you won't need wifi if you go that route.

    Good luck. You won't be sorry for choosing webOS.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    I disagree with the backup comment. On my Tour, I realized just how much it DOESN'T backup when I had to restore from a backup (after the BB crashed and I had to reload the OS.... Different story). It restored all my messages (which was nice), but 3rd party apps were gone. Contacts and calendar I don't believe were restored either, but that part is fuzzy since it restored from my Outlook at the same time. With any other OS it would've been the opposite - emails could easily be put back on the OS since they're stored on the server anyway.

    Sorry for the rant. This BB burned me in that regard so I had to let it out. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
    That's actually the one thing I was impressed with on my 800w. On the two occasions I had to resore the OS, it restored everything. Granted, it was a long, two step process (go into restore, wipe the RAM, restore the OS from ROM to OEM, then restore the backup from the memory card, I had three rotating backups at any given time) and BAM. Everything back to where it was before the phone crashed, including installed third-party apps. Kinda bummed that the Pre doesn't do that, but not a huge loss.

Posting Permissions