Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I'm coming from a Touch Pro with Sprint. I have a couple questions...

1. Is a touchstone a must for the pre? I know the design of the usb is known to crack so is it better to invest in a touchstone?

2. Does the pre overheat?

3. I'm waiting from the Otterbox tandem case to come out for the pre but until it comes is it safe inside the pocket? At my job I occassionaily bump into things.... will the screen break or crack on the pre?

4. I'm not interested in Preware, I prefer to keep a phone regular as it came. I'm mostly into browsing the web, watching movies and at times I tether... what are my options in terms of software to covert movies?

5. Is it better to just wait for the updated model of the pre? Or should I jump in now? I'm here lurking everyday and I really like webos and coming from a WM 6.5 it's a major step up but logically is it best to wait or jump the gun?

6. Radio Shacks return policy if I don't like the Pre. I'm also a former Sero user who upgraded to the newer Sero plan. Will Radio Shack be cool with that?

Thanks guys,

Delta7
    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post

1. Is a touchstone a must for the pre? I know the design of the usb is known to crack so is it better to invest in a touchstone?

3. I'm waiting from the Otterbox tandem case to come out for the pre but until it comes is it safe inside the pocket? At my job I occassionaily bump into things.... will the screen break or crack on the pre?

4. I'm not interested in Preware, I prefer to keep a phone regular as it came. I'm mostly into browsing the web, watching movies and at times I tether... what are my options in terms of software to covert movies?

5. Is it better to just wait for the updated model of the pre? Or should I jump in now? I'm here lurking everyday and I really like webos and coming from a WM 6.5 it's a major step up but logically is it best to wait or jump the gun?

6. Radio Shacks return policy if I don't like the Pre. I'm also a former Sero user who upgraded to the newer Sero plan. Will Radio Shack be cool with that?

Thanks guys,

Delta7
    1. touchstone great because no cord to charge, you will not regret this especially if you are saving money on the pre price
    2. I have not had problems with normal use
    3. Its fine if you keep it inside the case it comes with and inside your pocket. I've had it fall a number of times and still Ok. That said, you certainly could break it, its not made like a brick.
    4. I use handbrake.
    5. Go for the pre now if you like multitasking, ease of file transfer to computer, some cool apps to listen to music etc. On Sprint you will be able to upgrade hardware in a year as a "premier member" which you will be with a bill over $69 monthly. That said there are rumors swirling that new hardware will come out but that could be as late as Dec, no one knows.
    6. return policy is 30 days. not sure if sprint will allow a sero plan, i had understood sprint wanting the everything data plan but perhaps some folks have managed to keep the sero by this point.
    hope this helps
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I don't have Sero, I have Everything Plus Data 500, it's 59.99 with TEP.

Also, I'm not a Premier member since my plan isn't 69.99 and higher.

But I love the multitasking so it's a tough choice.
    hmmn, you may wish to bump up to 69.99 and drop the TEP if you are considering upgrading to the new hardware which I assume will come by end of year. you can get 10% off the 69.99 pretty easily (look around in the forums for how to do this) which means you would only be paying around 63 but would still get premier status I think as your original plan was 69.99
    Remember, no tethering if you don't use some sort of homebrew. Unless you go to Verizon.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    gotcha, I'm gonna go for it and if I don't like it return it.

Heading to RadioShack right now

Thanks guys,

Delta7
    Are you going with Sprint? If you are going with Verizon, order from the verizonwireless.com site. You have thirty days to return it.

Other than that, you will LOVE the Pre. THe touchstone is nice, and not just to avoid the USB cable. It makes a great car kit (pics posted elsewhere in this forum). I recommend getting the Siedio 1350mAh battery - and there is a 1400mAh battery from another vendor whose name I've forgotten. Those are better than the stock battery, but still work with the Touchstone back. I have the big 2600mAh battery that doesn't work with Touchstone. I use that everywhere except long drives because the Touchstone keeps the phone from sliding off to the floor when I hit the brakes.

Movie conversion is done on your PC and it is simple. I use a free program called Handbrake.

I like the ZAXX screen and back protector to keep your device safe. Same material they put on the leading edge of aircraft wings for protection. Razor thin, and touch as kevlar. You could use your pre as a hockey puck with a ZAXX skin on your phone. Impossible to scratch.

I don't expect any substantial new hardware from Palm for awhile, so I'm really glad I grabbed a Pre Plus the day they came out on Verizon.

I'm not all that crazy about Radio Shack, especially for phones. They seem to only push Sprint and Blackberry where I live.

Why don't you just order it from the Sprint website?

Hope that helps. You will REALLY like this phone...
    Is a touchstone a must for the pre? I know the design of the usb is known to crack so is it better to invest in a touchstone?
    I think you can do without it if you:
    • flick open the USB cover from the top (rather than from the bottom)

not really. It likely may run hot in the first day or two until the battery conditions. I recall it used to get hot at first, but not anymore.

I guess it depends on what they charge for it. I think you are better with the plastic skin. Never used one on my original Pre but just got my first refurb after 9 months. I'm wanting a skin rather than a case right now.

There is a 97.5% probability that you will rethink this decision (and win when you do).

I'd buy now if I were in your shoes. The build quality should be fine by now (on Sprint, your planned carrier).

Since your new plan has the word "Everything" in it, it will work fine for the Pre. You will gain Premier status after you have had your existing "everything" plan for 3 months.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!

Thanks guys,

Delta7
    1. Not really, but it is extremely handy. I bought mine after a few days, been very happy with it.

2. No. It does get warm during use, but hey......all battery powered devices do. There's no such thing as a cool battery. Not annoyingly hot, if that's what you mean. Just warm to the touch. I think half of that is from my hand.

3. I have some degenerative nerve damage, so I fall over pretty regularly. I have yet to damage it in a generic, thick holster I had floating around. Scratches, it comes with a fuzzy little slipcover, use that and you'll be fine. Drop it hard, though, and yeah, it might crack. Any phone will do that, though, not just the Pre.

4. Any software that can convert to iPhone/iPod touch format will work. Same resolution, same playback file type. Handbrake will do that with the built-in preset, or you can adjust to your liking, if you like tinkering.

5. Wait if you want, but if you've already been this cautious on buying, by the time you decide to buy the next generation of phone, the third will be on the way............if you feel now is right, buy now. Don't keep waiting, you'll be stuck in a Moebius loop of infinite tech sadness. Just bear in mind it is a first gen phone, so things may pop up on you. You should know those, by now.

6. Radio Shack doesn't deal with the plans, that's a Sprint deal, RS just sells the phones and acts as an agent. Sprint offers a 30 day guarantee on the phone and plan, you can revert back to your old plan if they have you upgrade for some reason. They'll probably make you sign a new contract, extending your time, but that's not a really big deal if you just upgraded within the last few months or so.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    i bought a pre tonight and I have a couple things to say...

Christ!! It felt like I was living under a rock for years!! This thing is the truth, the OS is so fluid and smooth. Also, when I get emails I get FULL HTML emails and my internet browsing is the truth, this thing is nice!!!

Now, how can I download 1.4?

This phone is really nice so far... come on Otterbox, come out with the freakin case already...

I'm scared to drop it, I'm leaving that plastic that comes with it on the phone until the case comes out.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    tap the launcher icon, flick over to the far right screen, click on the 'Updates' app that looks like a gift box. At least I think it's on the far right screen by default. It's been a while since I had a vanilla setup.
    i bought a pre tonight and I have a couple things to say...

Christ!! It felt like I was living under a rock for years!! This thing is the truth, the OS is so fluid and smooth. Also, when I get emails I get FULL HTML emails and my internet browsing is the truth, this thing is nice!!!

This phone is really nice so far... come on Otterbox, come out with the freakin case already...

I'm scared to drop it, I'm leaving that plastic that comes with it on the phone until the case comes out.
    Heh, welcome to the new world! I felt the same way when I got my Pre. You can download 1.4 by opening up the Launcher (the curved UP arrow) then going to the 3rd page and pressing Updates.

But do beware, lots of people (including myself), have had problems when doing an in-place upgrade from version x.x.x to version 1.4. I resolved *all* my problems by using webOS Doctor 1.2.1 on the phone and then using webOS Doctor 1.4. I don't expect you to understand what I said since you're new.

If you have any trouble with the upgrade, or if things don't seem to work quite right after the upgrade, send me a PM. I will help you. This phone is worth the time and effort to get right.

Welcome to webOS, life's good here.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Thanks Speedtouch,

I think I'll just deal with 1.35 until it autoupdates by itself just to be safe. It will be a few days before I really adjust to webos but so far it's really no even a far comparison to compare it to WM 6.5.

WM6.5 is like using DOS at this point.

Anyways, I really would like a good lock program and maybe a podcast and pdf reader and I think I'm ready to go for a little bit.

I'm using the default lock program but if anyone uses a better one please let me know, also I installed Bweather or something of that nature.

Is the pre able to have a alarm, weather and other programs on the home screen like WM phones?
    Get familiar with the phone for a few days, then be ready to jump to the amazing world of Preware - You think your phone is awesome now, wait until you have over 100 apps and patches like I do.

I was like you and for the first 2 months didn't use preware, I wish I had

Trust me

When you are ready to jump to preware, pm me and I will help you or read this thread

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v3-02-a.html

It look intimidating but once you "READ" properly and follow the intructions is quite easy.

Like I said, enjoy your phone for a few days, get used to it and then go to preware.

Also, the answer to your questions is Yes
    I use Accuweather for the weather forecast
    Go to the App catalog and take a look for the apps you are requesting.
    In regards to the alarm, I use the standard one the phone has, go to the launcher and click on the little clock icon and in the bottom click on the little bell
    Last edited by zx600; 03/16/2010 at 09:55 PM.
    "I'm sorry your phone is smarter than you"
    Thanks Speedtouch,

I think I'll just deal with 1.35 until it autoupdates by itself just to be safe. It will be a few days before I really adjust to webos but so far it's really no even a far comparison to compare it to WM 6.5.

WM6.5 is like using DOS at this point.

Anyways, I really would like a good lock program and maybe a podcast and pdf reader and I think I'm ready to go for a little bit.

I'm using the default lock program but if anyone uses a better one please let me know, also I installed Bweather or something of that nature.

Is the pre able to have a alarm, weather and other programs on the home screen like WM phones?
    Very welcome, glad to help. Yes, webOS is far superior to WM. I used my boss's Treo Pro for a bit and hated it...it just felt so clunky.

What do you mean by lock program?

There's several podcast programs out there for free. I don't know the names since I don't use them, but I have seen them in the App Catalog. My favorite is RadioTime. It pulls in audio streams from radio stations...freakin' awesome if you're a big radio listener like me.

I use Accuweather. I tried Bweather, but it just wasn't for me. Yes, the Pre does have an alarm. Just open up your Launcher and press Clock, from there you'll see a bell icon. Press that and you'll be in the alarm settings.

I am not sure about putting things on the home screen, but I do know you can customize the icons (programs) that appear on your Launcher bar. Just press & hold and icon on the Launcher bar until it lights up, drag it into the Launcher window. Then find a program you want to have in the Launcher bar, press & hold, and drag into the bar.
    No, the Pre doesn't have a home screen to put them on. Everything is easy to find on the launcher, and if you feel it's getting cluttered, there's a patch to add more pages. Of course, that requires Preware. You might actually find that quite useful, I was hesitant to install it first, but the 14 or so patches I've installed have been well worth it. Just basically adding functionality where I wanted it. The only thing about patches to be careful of is to remove them before updating the OS to any version. Do that, and you're fine.
    If you are willing to buy some apps, here are my recommendations for what you are looking for:

Timepiece - $1.99 - bar none the best alarm clock for WebOS
    DrPodder - $0.99 - the favorite Pod Cast program of the masses
    RadioTime - Free - the best internet radio app I have found
    Slacker/Pandora - Free - customized radio stations (i prefer slacker personally)
    Weather Dashboard - $1.99 - Runs in the background and gives you weather notifications; there is a lite version which is free but has fewer features.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Welcome to the family - I was hesitant at first to start using Preware and WebOS Quickinstall, but now I love them. I would recommend that you start slow and don't try to add a whole bunch of programs at once. Occasionally beta versions will have a glitch that is unexpected, so I know that if my phone starts behaving strangely after recently downloading a program, the most recent download is likely the culprit. (So don't download 20 on the same day!)

Having said that, I have only had problems when an update came along and the previous versions of apps were slightly incompatible. It only takes a few days, usually, for the programmers to get them up to speed.

Recommendations: The Sprint Navigation program is great, but it will EAT your battery life alive! If you are planning on using Navigation a lot, make sure that you have a car charger. It also heats the battery up to it's hottest - that's a good test for how hot your phone will ever get under normal usage.

Here are my "MUST HAVE" apps -

- WebOS Quickinstall
    - Preware
    - Quick System Tasks (allows you to turn on and off different functions quickly, and save a LOT of battery life!)
    - Simple Bible
    - Gdial Pro
    - Tweed (twitter)
    - MyTether (paid version)
    - Myles (mileage tracking for business trips)
    - Geocache for WebOS (fun for finding geocaches; includes compass)
    - Google calender search (using Google Calendar)
    - Bubble level (carpenter's tool)
    - Findmycar

Those are just the ones that I like, and there are LOTS more. And remember, if you get stuck or crash, we're here to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Recommendations: The Sprint Navigation program is great, but it will EAT your battery life alive! If you are planning on using Navigation a lot, make sure that you have a car charger. It also heats the battery up to it's hottest - that's a good test for how hot your phone will ever get under normal usage.
    Yep! And RadioTime also eats the battery and heats the battery just as well.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Thanks to everyone,

I'll get started on Preware shortly and I'm gonna pick up a couple paid programs like weatherdashboard, Drpodder and so forth.

Delta7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast