1.    #1  
    Nice. The money quote:

Google Android supports multitasking, but there is a severe limit on the number of applications you can load because they can only be installed into internal memory. The Apple iPhone currently only supports multitasking of their own apps, but there are rumors that iPhone OS 4.0 may support some kind of multitasking (ironic isn’t it Microsoft?). BlackBerry supports multitasking, but again apps can only be loaded into internal memory and the BB OS is getting quite dated. Symbian and Maemo both support multitasking and actually do it quite well, but they have no influence on the US market. Palm’s webOS supports multitasking with their slick “card” interface and with my Palm Pre Plus I have been able to listen to podcasts with Dr. Podder, check email, surf the web, play games, and more without any issues and multitasking is finally an enjoyable and easy experience.
    Microsoft killing off multitasking, Palm's webOS takes US crown | Smartphones and Cell Phones | ZDNet.com

Update: The article is technically accurate. I read it wrong--Android is limited to the apps that can be installed, not that can run once they've been installed. Thanks to those who clarified later in the thread.
    Last edited by wynand32; 03/16/2010 at 03:18 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    nice

Digg my story http://digg.com/d31Qenl?tto help raise $$$ & awareness for webOS, Palm Pre, HP.

#WebOS Internals "Telethon"#Palm Pre http://bit.ly/7q1Mc
    Interesting ... I'm also slightly confused by the claim that "Google Android supports multitasking, but there is a severe limit on the number of applications you can load because they can only be installed into internal memory"

I'm fairly sure the author is confused. But I won't condemn any article promoting WebOS over Android and BlackBerry
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Nice (although I wonder if it's technically accurate re: loading apps into internal memory). The money quote:

Microsoft killing off multitasking, Palm's webOS takes US crown | Smartphones and Cell Phones | ZDNet.com
    sweet I just shared on facebook, I have been pushing this phone since it came out if palm won't do a good job of it I will try
    sweet can't wait till they fix the bugs and come out with new and better hardware to match the awesomeness of the os but for now i am content.... for now
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Interesting ... I'm also slightly confused by the claim that "Google Android supports multitasking, but there is a severe limit on the number of applications you can load because they can only be installed into internal memory"

I'm fairly sure the author is confused. But I won't condemn any article promoting WebOS over Android and BlackBerry
    No, he's right. You can only install apps on Android to the internal storage and not the SD card, which means if you have a bunch of games that take up a large amount of memory, you're SOL, pretty similar to how many of us couldn't install lots of applications on the Pre until 1.3.1.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post

There is very limited storage space for things on android which is precisely why 3-d games are not taking off on android, they take up to much space
    I'm not talking from knowledge, so if I'm wrong you can blame my proctologist, but it could be that because Android devices use cards for storage, they don't include as much on-device memory. But as Palm's storage is all on-device, it doesn't matter. This would have to be different from RAM, though. The funny/ironic/stupid thing is that Apple and Microsoft could be doing this, but are choosing not to.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    No, he's right. You can only install apps on Android to the internal storage and not the SD card, which means if you have a bunch of games that take up a large amount of memory, you're SOL, pretty similar to how many of us couldn't install lots of applications on the Pre until 1.3.1.
    yes but the situation android is in will not be fixed with a simple patch to the OS because the internal storage capacity is to low, palm was smart and at least put 8gb internal
    Ah... in which case he means there is a limited number of apps you can install on an Android system - but he's written it in the context of multitasking itself. It's like he's comparing multitasking on Android and WebOS and saying that one is severely limited and the other isn't - their ability to multitask is equal, but the number of installable apps is an issue certainly.
    Quote Originally Posted by blu8503 View Post
    There is very limited storage space for things on android which is precisely why 3-d games are not taking off on android, they take up to much space
    That's not the only reason they're not taking off, developers don't have any parity between devices. Meaning only top tier Android handsets could play most 3D games anyway, then you have differences in screen ratio, processors, and the like which throw a big fat wrench into the gears.
    Quote Originally Posted by blu8503 View Post
    yes but the situation android is in will not be fixed with a simple patch to the OS because the internal storage capacity is to low, palm was smart and at least put 8gb internal
    Dang, you're right. It's not like you can open it up and stuff more memory in.

PalmOS was like this, too, and Devs came up with a solution: store the app on the card, but load it into RAM when the user launches it. When the user closes the app, save the changes back to the card. I think it was called PowerRun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Dang, you're right. It's not like you can open it up and stuff more memory in.

PalmOS was like this, too, and Devs came up with a solution: store the app on the card, but load it into RAM when the user launches it. When the user closes the app, save the changes back to the card. I think it was called PowerRun.
    Well, the solution for Android right now that they suggest is to have a small executable on the internal storage, and then that will download (from server storage that the developer is supposed to pay for, not Google) the necessary data files onto the memory card for the game to work.
    Well if the Pres/Pixis actually even had card slots, we could then compare them to phones that do.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Well, the solution for Android right now that they suggest is to have a small executable on the internal storage, and then that will download (from server storage that the developer is supposed to pay for, not Google) the necessary data files onto the memory card for the game to work.
    this is so stupid to me that they would not put more internal memory into these phones, it is exactly why I went with the Pre. I mean how expensive is flash memory....not very
    Am I missing something here? Why does the title say "PC Mag...." when the article is from ZDNet?

-Skippy
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    Am I missing something here? Why does the title say "PC Mag...." when the article is from ZDNet?

-Skippy
    ZDNet owns PC Magazine (and CNET owns ZDNet now for that matter). It's all the same.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post

-Skippy
    Oops! At least I kept it in the Ziff Davis family.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    ZDNet owns PC Magazine (and CNET owns ZDNet now for that matter). It's all the same.
    I knew there was something I didn't know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Oops! At least I kept it in the Ziff Davis family.
    Yeah, from what jhoff80 says, you were close enough.