1.    #1  
    Just picked up an unlocked Palm Pre from an eBay seller in the UK. The ad said fully unlocked with 850/1900/2100 HSDPA.

I was able to create a Palm profile and manually set up the AT&T APN settings. It does pick up an EDGE signal.

BUT, it will not pick up a 3G signal. I've tried to force it to 3G only, and rebooting, but no luck. The box says Pre, O2, DE, which I take should be the O2 Germany model. The SKU is 1071DE-OOT. The Model # under the battery is P100UEU.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Is there a way to verify If this is indeed an O2 Germany Palm Pre?
    Last edited by bostonphoneguy; 03/16/2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Added Model #
    different 3G frequencies are used in Europe.
  3.    #3  
    Well, this story seems to say it should have 850/1900/2100 HSDPA:
    http://www.precentral.net/good-news-...-and-unlocking

AT&T uses 850/1900.
    I will assume that 3G coverage os available there....?
  5.    #5  
    Yes, full 3G coverage on 3 other phones on my desk. Same SIM used in the Pre as another.
  6.    #6  
    More info from device info:

Version: 1.4.0
    Configuration: World Ready 1.2

More info:
    Hardware version: A

Network
    Carrier: ROW
    Firmware: CU0.5.27(241)
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonphoneguy View Post

AT&T uses 850/1900.
    It's very simple. Believe nothing you read on the internet.

Look in the official Palm user manual, Specifications section. It clearly states the Palm Pre is quad-band GSM, but only dual-band 3G (with two different models, one for USA, one for Europe and the rest of the world).

http://www.o2.co.uk/deviceinfo/devic...palmpreeng.pdf

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonphoneguy View Post

AT&T uses 850/1900.
    This was my earlier assumption based on some research I found, but turns out to be wrong. Euro Pre indeed only supports 900/2100.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Contact B-E-A-S-T or TopTongueBarry. They're the experts on this stuff.
    Reference:
    Palm Support : Understanding network bands and frequencies for a GSM/UMTS phone

Understanding network bands and frequencies for a GSM/UMTS phone - Palm Support - Article ID: 65931

Understanding network bands and frequencies for a GSM/UMTS phone
    The network bands and frequencies available for your webOS phone are listed below.

Region ....................................... 2G frequencies ......................... 3G frequencies
    North America (US/CAN) ............. 850/900/1800/1900 GSM ................. 850/1900/2100 UMTS
    South America (LAT) .................. 850/900/1800/1900 GSM ................. 850/900/2100 UMTS
    Asia-Pacific .......................................... 1900/1800 GSM ................. 850/900/2100 UMTS
    Europe .................... 850/900/1800 /1900 (degraded) GSM ................. 900/2100 UMTS

Europe uses 900/2100 UMTS for 3G data, North America uses 850/1900/2100 UMTS for 3G data.

Specifications for the Palm Pre device: Quad-Band GSM/Edge and Dual Band UTMS 3G

Furthermore, disassembly of both the EU Pre and the Telcel Mexico Palm Pre uncovered TWO different communication boards.
    The EU Palm Pre contains a board marked "EU" whilst the Telcel Mexico Palm Pre contains a board marked "NA".

Using the chart above one might think they could purchase a Telcel Mexico Palm Pre with its Dual-Band communication board marked "NA" and place their AT&T SIM Card into it for use on AT&T's network in the USA and be able to enjoy 3G data too. In theory you could, however, it's not possible due to strict Network Subsidy Lock Code implementation on the Telcel Mexico LOCKED Palm Pre.

Bottom line:
    Despite what others may try to convince you of in order to get their hands on some of your hard earned money, your unlocked German Palm Pre will NOT connect to AT&T's North American 3G UTMS network. Yes, your phone is unlocked, so yes, voice, text, MMS, and "Edge" data will function flawlessly with your AT&T 3G SIM card inserted, but NO 3G data - Period - End of Story - No if's buts or ands about it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Hopefully you can get a refund for your German Palm pre .....

TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 03/17/2010 at 09:23 AM.