Licensing could produce a product schism which would lead to it's slow death, as is the case with Android.
    uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhh....Palm already tried to do that once with old Palmos. Does anyone remember Sony Clie, Handspring Visors, Handera etc? Didn't work that time and would be foolish to make the same mistake again imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhh....Palm already tried to do that once with old Palmos. Does anyone remember Sony Clie, Handspring Visors, Handera etc? Didn't work that time and would be foolish to make the same mistake again imo...
    I disagree. Microsoft will license windows mobile 7, but I think they stated that there will be no modifying the GUI. This would leave the same version for all phones and and make releases speedier for updating existing phones. You have issues with android, because each hardware manufacturer is putting their own custom interfaces on android and it takes forever to test new versions of android with these custom gui's. That is why, phones with HTC sense are taking forever to get upgraded to android 2.1.
    I love webOS because it reminds me of (ironically) something Apple would have designed. I think licensing it would result in exactly what the previous poster said. It would become increasingly unreliable and end up like Android, the Windows Vista of phone operating systems.

...but i'm not a millionaire that has made strategic decisions for a large company. So take that for what it's worth
    Who says it didn't work? PalmOS dominated the handheld industry for years. Ahem...remember the Clie, Handspring Visor, etc?

It worked great until Palm tripped over themselves annd failed to update the technology. If they had done WebOS as a PalmOS upgrrade way back then there probably would be no such thing as an Android OS.
    Hmmm....

why is it a good article?

The idea of Palm licensing webOS might be an interesting idea, but I don't think the article delves into the issues to any degree enough to qualify it as a good article.
  7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post
    Hmmm....

why is it a good article?

The idea of Palm licensing webOS might be an interesting idea, but I don't think the article delves into the issues to any degree enough to qualify it as a good article.
    are you serious? Are you really analyzing the word "good". I can change it to "interesting" if that works with you.
    As long as we're all speculating like this, I'd say it won't happen. As others have pointed out, Android (and Windows Mobile before it) demonstrate that the fractured platform doesn't make a great deal of sense. Consider that Apple and RIM represent the opposite ideal. Factor in the very real possibility that Android is succeeding largely because it's free, and I think it's clear that Palm is doing things the right way.

If Palm can't survive as an independent entity making integrated hardware/software solutions, then I think they'll simply be sold wholesale. webOS and Palm's patent portfolio are worth a great deal, and they'd make a very cheap acquisition at current stock prices. Even with a premium, they'd be a steal.

My choice for such an acquisition would be... drum roll please... HP. They've always made very nice hardware in the mobile space, and their smartphone strategy has been oddly muted of late. They've been showing off their upcoming slate in a Windows 7 version--I'm beginning to think a webOS slate might be a very nice thing. If HP were to buy Palm and put out a next-generation device with some significant promotional muscle behind it, I'd buy one.

An alternative would be for Palm to keep the smartphone market to themselves (so to speak), but license webOS exclusively for slates/tablets. I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat as well.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by MotionxxUSxx View Post
    are you serious? Are you really analyzing the word "good". I can change it to "interesting" if that works with you.
    :-)

Thanks for bringing the article to our attention. I probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

My comment was not a reflection on your post or your choice of words.

The thought of Palm licensing it's OS had just crossed my mind the other day (yesterday) especially after observing the Google AndroidOS model (open source and free - Apache) , the apparent Windows Phone series model (proprietary) and, to a lesser degree, Maemo (open source?/free?).

Palm would have to compete in this space and this immediately springs up issues that would mean an enormous change in direction, more dependency on other entities (carriers and now manufacturers) for prolonged success and even less brand recognition. The palm logo will get relegated to boot screens and "powered by palm" something only software giants can pull off.

My thoughts are that Palm needs to own as much of the webOS experience as they can so that they can gain mindshare of a growing connected-mobile consumership that missed the Palm Pilot/.../Vx/ wave.

Speaking of which, the Palm Pre/Pixi form factors can have the longevity to match previous palm devices and even outlast form factor by other industry-leading devices.

Think palm pre/pixi with black anodized aluminum backs or whatever back connotes "solid".
    Never say "never" ... but I believe it's been pretty clearly stated that this is not their plan. This is one place where the new-Palm's Apple roots show ... Rubenstein has said several times that he believes you produce a better "user experience" when you control both the hardware and the software. I think licensing webOS would only be a last ditch effort to save the company.
    Like previously mentioned, licensing out the original Palm OS was probably the biggest mistake Palm has ever made, and I hope they're not dumb enough to repeat that.

Also, I wish writers and analysts would research these sort of things before making comments like that. It wasn't that long ago, people.
    I guess nobody here besides me would love to see HTC branded WebOS phone. Can you imaging WebOS running on Nexus One. That would be insane.
    I'd love to see palm license the touchstone out, so that other manufactors can make backplates for it's devices. The touchstone simply isn't a selling point for Palm, but they could make decent $$$ if they partnered w/bb or HTC to make backplates for their phones.

Also then there'd be more touchstones in the wild (w/free Palm branding/advertising) so if you're at a buddies house w/a bb you can toss your phone on his charger.