1.    #1  
    So we're visiting at my son's house in Mississippi over the weekend and need to get up early Monday morning to drive back to Oklahoma. I set the alarm on my Pre for 5:15am, plug it into my charger, and leave the "Timepiece" app running so I will have something to look at if I wake up during the night. All of which I have done many times before. Battery was at about 75% and made sure the battery% indicator turns blue so I know it's charging...

6:45am the wife wakes up & screams "what time is it?" and I check my pre to find the battery completely dead -- shows the big battery symbol with the red bottom & charge indicator, indicating that it is still plugged in. Her BlackBerry plugged into the same outlet is fully charged.

So when we get on the road (finally) and plug the Pre into the car charger, it makes it back up to 100% within 2 hours (screen turned off). Has behaved normally since that time.

Anyone have any ideas what could have caused this to happen? It's like the battery slowly drained out overnight even while plugged in. Could the microUSB connection be loose or something? Like I said, haven't had a problem since...
    Last edited by jjeffcoat; 03/17/2010 at 07:48 AM.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I've had a similar experience, today not used 10% of the battery life and other days taken the phone out to find it dead at 11am. I don't think it's a usage issue because my 650 is still my main phone & the pre gets little use on any day at the moment. On the worst day the battery was still discharging while plugged in to my pc, I'm not sure if the bad days are linked to camera use and will have to research more.
    Soapyy
    I had a similar situation happen to me this morning. Every day i have to be to work by 8 so i have my alarm on my pre set to 7 AM. So last night i set the alarm and put the phone on my TS and it starts charging and i go to bed. Later I woke up and the phone is displaying the time, 2:43. So I think SWEET i have 4 more hours of sleep. Then i wake up later on and it still says 2:43, but my room is filled with sunlight.
    Turns out it was already 9 Am and i was already an hour late for work. Apparently my phone decided it felt like freezing in the middle of the night.
    My boss is still yelling at me for that lol
    The Pre's battery is very strange. The other day I went to NYC to celebrate my roommate's birthday and my Pre went from 35% battery to 0% in a matter of minutes and then stayed at 0% (but still on) for another 2-3 hours before finally shutting off.
    Morale of the story....

Don't depend on a cell phone as an alarm clock if you need to do something important...like go to work.

It's ok to use in a pinch but do people just throw away their alarm clock once they buy a cell phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Morale of the story....

Don't depend on a cell phone as an alarm clock if you need to do something important...like go to work.

It's ok to use in a pinch but do people just throw away their alarm clock once they buy a cell phone?
    Moral of the story is to put your phone in airplane mode before going to sleep. And use genuine Palm chargers. I've noticed that the Palm charges REALLY SLOW with the charger for my wife's LG Touch phone, even though they both come from Verizon and both use micro USB.

If the phone is doing a lot of connecting to the web, it seems to use about the same amount of charging as the charger is giving to the phone.

So, I only use my Palm-brand charger, and I use the Battery Saver app to automatically turn on (and off) airplane mode at night.

Oh, and I still have a regular alarm clock in my suitcase when I travel.
    Not that it will help now, but next time set the alarm on the wife's BB. Its not only more reliable.....its LOUDER!

I can barely hear my Pre alarm. BTW, the advice about being sure its a true Palm charger / chord is good advice. There is a real difference. I can use the Palm one on my BB with no problem. Can't do the opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I got used to using my cell phone as an alarm clock because I never had to worry about forgetting to switch the alarm clock back on or resetting the time after a nap or the weekend. I know newer alarm clocks have multiple alarms and "soft offs," but that wasn't the case 10 years ago. Never had a single issue before the Pre.

As for the OP, I had the exact same thing happen this weekend, woke to a dead phone that not only didn't charge, but would not have normally died in the time I left it. I think it's related to the post-1.4 bug where you can't receive phone calls. I've noticed when that happens, the battery drains like crazy (like a percent a minute) so if that's what happened, the charger couldn't keep up. Stinks the phone didn't just die then restart though...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Not that it will help now, but next time set the alarm on the wife's BB. Its not only more reliable.....its LOUDER!

I can barely hear my Pre alarm.
    My alarm on the Pre is "Jump" by Van Halen and it comes through pretty loud, don't have any problem hearing it.

And, the Pre alarm has been very reliable, as long as the battery doesn't drain.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

10.    #10  
    As an update to the original issue on this thread, today when I got to work and disconnected from the car charger, the battery% indicator on the top bar remaind blue, indicating that it was charging. Stayed that way until I restarted the phone, after which the number turned green (which is what it should be when not plugged in).

Wierd battery behavior, but it sounds like I'm not the only one who has experienced this sort of thing.
    My device history:

- Jim J.