Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have tried to send text while on a call but the texts won't go through... Do you have the same problem? Is this normal for our phones/network?
    For some reason, I thought ATT was the only carrier capable of that? At least that is what thier commercials lead you to believe.
    I don't think so but I've never been interested in talking and texting at the same time.
    im pretty sure that ive texted while on the pre...i know u cant AIM but im almost positive you can text
    I've done it on the Pre Plus.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Sure you can. I do it all the time. Talk to my mom via bluetooth and complain to my sister via text.

You can't surf the web while you're talking unless you're on GSM. CDMA isn't capable of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Sure you can. I do it all the time. Talk to my mom via bluetooth and complain to my sister via text.

You can't surf the web while you're talking unless you're on GSM. CDMA isn't capable of that.
    LOL...
    I can Talk+Text/Surf/Email.....Sprint (note: could with multiple phones on Tmobile before I switched).
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post

Exactly. Use bluetooth. If you can connect to a WIFI spot and you're on a CDMA carrier, then you can surf while talking. But GSM does have the advantage when it comes to talking and non-WIFI web surfing.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Seems to be some mis-information in this thread. To be clear, on a GSM network like At&t, you can use the phone and the data connection at the same time. On a CDMA network like Sprint or Verizon, you CANNOT use the data connection when you are using the phone connection. You can however, use the phone and text at the same time on a CDMA network because both text and talk goes over the same connection. However, you CANNOT use mms or data (Internet, email) over the data connection on a CDMA network.

HOWEVER, if you are connected to wi-fi, you CAN talk on the phone and use data (Internet, email) at the same time. I'm not sure, however, if you can mms while on wi-fi because then the mms would have to go through the wi-fi connection and I don't think it can but not sure about that.

If someone says they can talk and surf with Sprint or Verizon, it only possible with a wi-fi connection.

So yes, you can talk and text at the same time.
    Last edited by gapost; 03/16/2010 at 07:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    yes you can I do it all the time .
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Seems to be some mis-information in this thread. To be clear, on a GSM network like At&t, you can use the phone and the data connection at the same time. On a CDMA network like Sprint or Verizon, you CANNOT use the data connection when you are using the phone connection. You can however, use the phone and text at the same time on a CDMA network because both text and talk goes over the same connection. However, you CANNOT use mms or data (Internet, email) over the data connection on a CDMA network.

HOWEVER, if you are connected to wi-fi, you CAN talk on the phone and use data (Internet, email) at the same time. I'm not sure, however, if you can mms while on wi-fi because then the mms would have to go through the wi-fi connection and I don't think it can but not sure about that.

If someone says they can talk and surf with Sprint or Verizon, it only possible with a wi-fi connection.
    Wow. There definitely is some mis-information. Exactly like this post. Did anyone even read the original post?!? It clearly says text and talk at the same time. Not use data and talk at the same time.

You definitely can text and talk at the same time even on Sprint's CDMA network. Text messages do not need a data connection. Don't believe me. Go into your phone app, turn off data usage, and see if you can receive and send texts. I bet everyone here can
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Wow. There definitely is some mis-information. Exactly like this post. Did anyone even read the original post?!? It clearly says text and talk at the same time. Not use data and talk at the same time.

You definitely can text and talk at the same time even on Sprint's CDMA network. Text messages do not need a data connection. Don't believe me. Go into your phone app, turn off data usage, and see if you can receive and send texts. I bet everyone here can
    Look it the first paragraph. It says you can talk and text at the same time. But I realized it was not totally clear, so I added the final sentence. However, some above said you can talk and be on the Internet/email at the same time on Sprint and that is just not correct, unless you are on wi-fi.
    Last edited by gapost; 03/16/2010 at 07:50 AM.
  14.    #14  
    Thank you guys for sharing your wealth of knowledge! Thanks a ton! I tried it and it worked...i was able to talk and text....which I think comes handy when you don't wanna answer the second line but at the same time you wanna be polite and let them you're on a call and will call them back...(a feature I greatly miss from my old Treo, Centro and Palm OS)
    I know this has been cleared up, but I wanted to add one more tidbit of info which I think is really cool. Of course you can text and talk at the same time on Sprint. And also you can do any web browsing while talking as long as WIFI is on and connected successfully to a router.

But here is my enjoyment factor. I use Sprint Nav all the time, and as long as you choose your destination and let the Nav set up its route for you prior to making a phone call, you can talk during the entire trip and follow the directions on the Nav screen. You just can't go off track from the original downloaded route. If you do however, you will notice on the Nav screen that there will be a line from the little car icon that goes back to the original route. I think that's a great feature. So even if you get lost, you can zoom out on the Nav screen and see where you have to go to get back to the blue highlighted route.

Has anyone else tried this?
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    As mentioned in earlier posts, you can talk and text at the same time, but you cannot talk and surf the web. To be sure, I just made a call and sent a text, then tried getting on a website and could not get on until i ended the call.
    Does talking/texting work the same whether you are in 1x or Ev coverage?

I've found that if you are in 1x coverage and you are doing something on the web (downloading, etc) and someone tries to call the phone won't even ring. Would a text message make it through in a case like this?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Seems to be some mis-information in this thread. To be clear, on a GSM network like At&t, you can use the phone and the data connection at the same time. .
    To clarify you can only use data and phone radios when in 3g on AT&T
    Quote Originally Posted by kgbcapthowdy View Post
    To clarify you can only use data and phone radios when in 3g on AT&T
    Yeah, that's a good point. And remember the map!! Ha-ha.
    *sigh* EVDO Rev A is capable of data and voice at the same time. Most Sprint markets have that feature turned off. It does not mean that CDMA networks are not capable. EVDO is a CDMA only protocol. EVDO Rev A supports voice and data at the same time, it simply routes voice over the data network in packets. Sprint is fully Rev A compliant, has been for two years. If you don't have a Rev A compliant network, but claim you do........um. Lawsuit? Some areas it does indeed work in. Good Lord, I'm going to take a movie of me doing this someday. Meh. I'll still get flamed for "faking" the vid. Call Sprint, tell them you're moving to VT, and want to know if this is possible. They will say yes, it is in that network area.

I should also point out that WiMax is also capable of voice and data at the same time. Its one of the big marketing tags. WiMax is designed for CDMA networks. If CDMA networks are not capable of WiMax, then Sprint couldn't sell it. Think about it. WiMax and EVDO would not work if the network were not capable of using it.

Anyway, text and phone, yes. Text goes over the voice network, not data. I've had several old phones that had no real data connection (no web browser, no email, no nothing, just a phone) and been able to text and talk at once. Never did, texting was bloody expensive then.
    Last edited by fussnfeathers; 03/16/2010 at 09:39 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast