Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omeyga View Post
    I can Talk+Text/Surf/Email.....Sprint (note: could with multiple phones on Tmobile before I switched).
    This is a great commercial for the Palm Pre. Have one guy using like 5 phones to call, text, email, web and something else all while struggling and getting frustrated. Then have another guy doing all that on the Pre. That's great!

Fej180
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    *sigh* EVDO Rev A is capable of data and voice at the same time....
    I keep telling everyone this too. However, I thought the limitation was due to Qualcomm, not the carriers. As I understand it, the current Qualcomm cdma chipsets are designed to split the signal voice from data signal....no?

Furthermore, GSM uses two radios, one for vioce and another for data. It's well known to the mobile tech engineers that cdma is far superior to GSM. It's just that Europe was too cheap to deploy cdma and never thought that it would be used for data, only voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I keep telling everyone this too. However, I thought the limitation was due to Qualcomm, not the carriers. As I understand it, the current Qualcomm cdma chipsets are designed to split the signal voice from data signal....no?

Furthermore, GSM uses two radios, one for vioce and another for data. It's well known to the mobile tech engineers that cdma is far superior to GSM. It's just that Europe was too cheap to deploy cdma and never thought that it would be used for data, only voice.
    EVDO Rev A and CDMA networks use VoIP. The phone transmits your call over a data signal, and it gets split at the network. This allows for simultaneous streams over one channel. EVDO Rev 0 isn't capable of this, when one channel is used for data, it's data only, you can't cram a voice signal in there, too. Rev A allows for that, the same way home DSL is capable of voice and data at the same time, where old dial-up doesn't. Its not capable of processing simultaneous data streams.

I love the folks that claim CDMA networks can't handle EVDO...........apparently the logo that lights up with a big EV in it, and flashes different colors to indicate which revision they happen to be receiving at the moment hasn't clued them in yet.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Well I usually am Talking, Sexting, and IM'ing @ the same time (with WiFi of course )
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Well I usually am Talking, Sexting, and IM'ing @ the same time (with WiFi of course )
    Good thing I don't know you........that sort of random wierdness is disturbing.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Good thing I don't know you........that sort of random wierdness is disturbing.
    lol...well thanksfully its with people I know at least... so its not that random
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Yes you can text and talk at the same time however, if your text contains a pic/vid (MMS which is the same as data = CDMA limitation), then the text will not go through until after you end the call (unless of course you're connected to a wifi connection).

I do this all the time (text and talk) with my Sprint Pre.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    EVDO Rev A and CDMA networks use VoIP. The phone transmits your call over a data signal, and it gets split at the network. This allows for simultaneous streams over one channel. EVDO Rev 0 isn't capable of this, when one channel is used for data, it's data only, you can't cram a voice signal in there, too. Rev A allows for that, the same way home DSL is capable of voice and data at the same time, where old dial-up doesn't. Its not capable of processing simultaneous data streams.

I love the folks that claim CDMA networks can't handle EVDO...........apparently the logo that lights up with a big EV in it, and flashes different colors to indicate which revision they happen to be receiving at the moment hasn't clued them in yet.
    1) Thanks for the info. Few of us are as informed about these things and I appreciate the education.

2) Which "color" flash of the EV logo corresponds to each Rev.?
    On the Pre? The EV icon will change to 1x if you're in a 1xRTT only area, EV will show up with a dark gray EV font in Rev 0 coverage, and a white font in EVDO Rev A coverage.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I've done it on the Pre Plus.
    I have too.
    On the Pre? The EV icon will change to 1x if you're in a 1xRTT only area, EV will show up with a dark gray EV font in Rev 0 coverage, and a white font in EVDO Rev A coverage.
    Yes, on the Pre. Thanks, again.

I admit, I've seen the Gray v White "EV" and did not know what it meant.
    Not entirely correct. The white font indicates actual data transmission, not the Rev of the EVDO.
    With the new 3G icon, is this still the same? I'm on Verizon and in my area the 3G font is white, but when I'm on a call and try to use the internet the Pre gives me a popup which indicates that I have to enable Wifi in order to connect.
    That's nothing to do with the EV icon. Verizon doesn't allow calling and data at the same time yet over the same connection.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post

It may be a superior technology, but to the end user, it sucks. I want to be able to talk and browse the web/MMS, which to the end user, is not possible except on 3G.

There is a serious disconnect between the engineers and the users. I'm not sure what the problem is, but if they don't figure out their *** from a hole in the ground with regards to this by the time WiMAX comes out, i'm ditching them.

...I'd also like to note: they need to figure out how to hang up on one call while talking on another. CDMA is superior in the brain-dead department, as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Not entirely correct. The white font indicates actual data transmission, not the Rev of the EVDO.
    i like how this post was selectively overlooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    ...I'd also like to note: they need to figure out how to hang up on one call while talking on another. CDMA is superior in the brain-dead department, as far as I'm concerned.
    That is a problem. Bugs me every time.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Are you sure about this? It was my understanding that while EVDO Rev A is capable of VOIP, that it would require an overhaul of the backend of things, which is why Sprint and Verizon haven't done it yet. The only thing I know of that Sprint and Verizon use VOIP for is push-to-talk.

What ever happened to Sprint's 'skipping EVDO and going to EVDV' thing from 5 years or so anyway? Then we wouldn't have this issue at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Are you sure about this? It was my understanding that while EVDO Rev A is capable of VOIP, that it would require an overhaul of the backend of things, which is why Sprint and Verizon haven't done it yet. The only thing I know of that Sprint and Verizon use VOIP for is push-to-talk.
    exactly. like you said, Rev A is CAPABLE of VOIP, but it doesnt use VOIP for call handling, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    i like how this post was selectively overlooked.
    I like this as well. Can somebody clear up what the difference is between the white and gray EV icon? Without talking out thier a**.

respectfully...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast