Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by agbenson View Post
    We should try for that front page on P|C after we have a solid site, something to point people to, not now when its easy to see this as never going to be big like it should. Also, the closer to the dates we get that front page, the better it is for convincing others to follow along with it.
    I think we need multiple stories. At the very least a mention in one of P|C's "In the foums." Then a full story a week before the date and then a reminder story on the day of. P|C is the centerpiece of Palm fandom, we will want their help.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Great idea! Went to Amazon and posted a glowing review! I'm all for supporting the cause! Reminders set.
    I know that nobody asked me (but Blaize loves me, so at least.... ahh nevermind)..

I've gotta say, this whole thing is making my stomach grumble.
    Do you guys think that Palm cares about your success?
    Do you think they care if you can make it to the next quarter?
    Do you think they would donate a dime to your life?
    Do you think they even care if you wake up on time in the morning?
    If they did, they would've fixed the so-called "alarm".
    If they even cared that you missed that urgent message from your boss, they would've implemented the extremely advanced function called a "notification nag" (Even my dog uses such a feature when she wants me to take her for a walk).
    I wonder if you guys would hand over money that you raised for webOS, to a company that has 100's of millions of dollars, in front of that starving person down the street from you.
    Yeah, that starving person can get a job but hey, Palm can do better too, right?
    Yes, I know I made this thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ebos-here.html
    and i was excited about it, but we have to know where we stand, don't we?

Like posted earlier, from HardBeatZ:
    "Make sure it says "Not affiliated with Palm".
    How much do you want to bet that the MONEY from any sales that Palm makes due to the work that YOU guys are doing, will SURELY be affiliated with Palm??
    Wouldn't it be great if people paid us to do our jobs, but did them for us anyway, on top of that.

(BTW- Nothing against HardBeatZ, I admire his visability and eagerness to help the general public on what seems to be a daily basis.)
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 03/17/2010 at 05:26 AM.
  4.    #104  
    Do you guys think that Palm cares about your success? yes
    Do you think they care if you can make it to the next quarter? yes
    Do you think they would donate a dime to your life? no
    Do you think they even care if you wake up on time in the morning? no
    This isn't about doing Palm's work for them. It's about giving a little help to the underdog. If you know and appreciate webOS, you care enough to want to see its success. That success will benefit not only Palm but every user of their products.

It would be naive to think everyone shares this opinion, but I firmly believe that I'm not the only one who wants to help Palm achieve its goals. And if spending 1 minute of my free time to spread the word is all it takes, then I think it's absolutely worth it.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    ugh i just wrote a long *** review for the phone on VZW and once i hit preview it just said I couldn't submit it because I'm not the account owner, now the review is gone! Sobbbbb
    @DBZ Nope, I know as a matter of fact that Palm doesn't care about my success but I care about theirs. This is as simple as getting the device I use (and love using) a little more market share which will help persuade developers which will help everyone who uses a Palm phone. If you don't like the idea don't get behind it, but we all know very well that this is a "Fan Movement"
    Danny, I do love you. (But careful; you wanna stay off the couch...heh)

But...I want to continue using Palm phones and webOS for a long time to come, and I have the spare time to give to this project. I also give time to other, perhaps worthier, causes. I know there are issues with the phone and os, and keeping palm going/increasing mindshare seems to be a good way to help ensure that these problems will eventually be fixed. I don't feel like I am "doing Palm's work for them" so much as I am promoting something I believe in, which I would do regardless of Palm's current situation.

Thus (hee hee) I will continue to do this, but I don't expect you, or anyone else, to necessarily agree with it...
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    You know...

I figured I helped Palm when I actually purchased their snazzy new phone on release day last June. Beyond that, if Palm can't or won't effectively market their own product, then I feel no obligation to do it for them. An "A" for effort to any who feel this will actually make a difference in the overall scheme of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    You know...

I figured I helped Palm when I actually purchased their snazzy new phone on release day last June. Beyond that, if Palm can't or won't effectively market their own product, then I feel no obligation to do it for them. An "A" for effort to any who feel this will actually make a difference in the overall scheme of things.
    Do you want a cookie or something? If you don't want to get involved then don't what's the point of telling us why you don't? About as pointless as a goodbye post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Danny, I do love you. (But careful; you wanna stay off the couch...heh)

But...I want to continue using Palm phones and webOS for a long time to come, and I have the spare time to give to this project. I also give time to other, perhaps worthier, causes. I know there are issues with the phone and os, and keeping palm going/increasing mindshare seems to be a good way to help ensure that these problems will eventually be fixed. I don't feel like I am "doing Palm's work for them" so much as I am promoting something I believe in, which I would do regardless of Palm's current situation.

Thus (hee hee) I will continue to do this, but I don't expect you, or anyone else, to necessarily agree with it...
    Ok ok, you calmed me down a little bit.
    But just a little, "hence" this smile- .
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Wow, I'm surprised at the amount of people who "have time to tell us that this is lame" but "not enough time to send out a tweet".

Thanks guys.

for me it comes down to this...There isnt another platform out there like palm so I want to do everything I can to assure they keep bringing me new products with webos on them. Thats it. I dont care about Ruby's salary, I dont care if the programmers are employed. I'm doing this for completely selfish reasons. Because I LOVE webos and I want to keep loving it.

EDIT:::I want to add that I think PALM need to fire their marketing team and get one that knows what they're doing. The first team they should have brought over from Apple is the marketing team. Even before the programmers. Just look at the ipad. that thing is a joke, but its gonna sell a ton of units because you see it everywhere...even on cnn.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    You know...

You sound like a perfect candidate for an iPhone and AT&T. Let us know how that works out for you, sport.
    I sold 2 Pre Plus's on Facebook to a friend & her husband. Beat our her iphone and droid cheering friends yesterday. She thought I had more insight on technology and phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by agbenson View Post
    cantaffordit, that's a cool google link, its still likely to be better with no link, but either way works...

Palm lawyers, yes, could be a problem, I'm sure its their trademark, but for a fan site, i highly doubt they will give me/us any problems, I will take the risk.

As far as rankings, 10 days is very short, but i think for this phrase it is very doable.

Just tell me what you think the site should have on it, how we want to do this...
    If anyone wants to help pay for the costs, I won't complain, but its not too much, $11 for the domain, and "borrow" some hosting from my boss, hope he doesn't notice lol, and a bunch of time to make it nice.
    I don't think they will give you problems, but they may ask for the domain name at some point down the road. They may also restrict the types of content you can include, but - If they are smart, they will encourage you (us)...

As far as content, I was thinking that I like the idea of making it clear to visitors that this is an expression of the Palm user community. Grass-roots efforts and momentum from "Joe the Plumber" should add some credibility and energy.

It might also be good to have links to positive reviews and demonstrations... oh, wait, that's PreCentral.

Ok, then maybe if we all do silly Palm commercials (and Droid parodies) and put them on YouTube, we can link to that.

We can communicate the messages that Palm hasn't figured out. Refer to this article for an excellent description of what those messages should be...

Do Palm's Struggles Forecast Apple's Post Jobs Decline? — Datamation.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Ok ok, you calmed me down a little bit.
    But just a little, "hence" this smile- .
    Bwah hah hah...knew you'd catch it...

Back on topic...
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I sold 2 Pre Plus's on Facebook to a friend & her husband. Beat our her iphone and droid cheering friends yesterday. She thought I had more insight on technology and phones.
    +1 to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    CGLAGUNA... I see you've had lots of Palm phones. I had the first (and second) Palm Kyocera flip phone... and that was back in the day when I walked up hill to school, in a snow storm, both ways...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 03/16/2010 at 03:36 PM.
    Signed on and waiting for the word.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post

Do you think they even care if you wake up on time in the morning?
    If they did, they would've fixed the so-called "alarm".
    If they even cared that you missed that urgent message from your boss, they would've implemented the extremely advanced function called a "notification nag" (Even my dog uses such a feature when she wants me to take her for a walk).
    I wonder if you guys would hand over money that you raised for webOS, to a company that has 100's of millions of dollars, in front of that starving person down the street from you.
    Yeah, that starving person can get a job but hey, Palm can do better too, right?
    Yes, I know I made this thread:
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-...ebos-here.html

and i was excited about it, but we have to know where we stand, don't we?

It just makes me sick to see people that paid Palm, do their work for them also.
    There are patches and preware apps for all of your complaints. What I need is an app to filter out the complaints!
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 03/16/2010 at 04:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    My constant ramblings and showing off my phone, I've got 5 people I know to buy pre's/jump on Sprint if they already weren't, and I've got a sixth so far, that may buy in.

I don't love Palm or anything, and would consider myself a mild fan, but I do believe in webOS and it's fun rooting for the underdog while everyone just apple-fies themselves to death.

I've asked Palm, as a reward, if they could get me a pillow in the shape of a pre. Over twitter, they said they would if one existed. I'm scouring etsy right now...