Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Maybe we can all chip in and give the money to Palm to find a new marketing firm.
    Maybe we could pay their employees so they don't have to!
    Maybe we could make their phones for them so they don't have to!
    Maybe we could drive them to work so they can save on their commuting expenses!
    Maybe we can hold their hand when they're crossing the street!
    If we are serious about this, getting a website set up just for the viral campaign is a must! I just checked, lifemovesfastdontmissathing.com is available.

If you guys think we can really pull this off, I will buy it and build a site as fast as i can, but I don't want to waste my money if we aren't serious about this, so tell me what you think!

Also, If anyone wants to help design it, or give ideas of what should be up there, its appreciated!

Finally, if we are going to set up a website, we need as many links pointing to it using the code
    Code:
    <a href="http://www.lifemovesfastdontmissathing.com/">Life Moves Fast, Don't Miss a Thing</a>
    as we can get, and we need them ASAP so that search engines have time to find the site and index it so we can be number 1 when you google "life moves fast dont miss a thing"

Currently the ad has the number one spot, and while its the best ad yet, we can do much better!!!

Finally, the links should be seporate from the campaign, as has been stated before, for it to be a successful viral campaign, people absolutely MUST do the search themselves, its our job to plant the idea, and to make sure that what they find is worth the work, but if they don't do it themselves, its just another ad for palm...

Let me know what you think, on here, or pm me!

oh, and just to get it started
    Life Moves Fast, Don't Miss a Thing
    (site doesn't exist yet obviously, but it gets things primed a bit, trust me, I do Search Engine Optimization professionally)
    Quote Originally Posted by agbenson View Post
    If we are serious about this, getting a website set up just for the viral campaign is a must! I just checked, lifemovesfastdontmissathing.com is available.

If you guys think we can really pull this off, I will buy it and build a site as fast as i can, but I don't want to waste my money if we aren't serious about this, so tell me what you think!

Also, If anyone wants to help design it, or give ideas of what should be up there, its appreciated!

Finally, if we are going to set up a website, we need as many links pointing to it using the code
    Code:
    <a href="http://www.lifemovesfastdontmissathing.com/">Life Moves Fast, Don't Miss a Thing</a>
    as we can get, and we need them ASAP so that search engines have time to find the site and index it so we can be number 1 when you google "life moves fast dont miss a thing"

Currently the ad has the number one spot, and while its the best ad yet, we can do much better!!!

Finally, the links should be seporate from the campaign, as has been stated before, for it to be a successful viral campaign, people absolutely MUST do the search themselves, its our job to plant the idea, and to make sure that what they find is worth the work, but if they don't do it themselves, its just another ad for palm...

(site doesn't exist yet obviously, but it gets things primed a bit, trust me, I do Search Engine Optimization professionally)
    +1 for the idea. are there any implications for creating such a fan site as far as Palm lawyers are concerned? Would in make sense to just have that URL redirect to the video, or to a Palm site? I'm just asking...

And most important, can you make this show up high in the google search list? If not, no one will see it.

I still think sending out a link to "let me google that for you" would help because people will "see" what is being typed before being directed...

Check this out:
    Let me google that for you

Let know what you need from us besides commitment to participate! We are behind you!
    Quote Originally Posted by agbenson View Post

Code:

Having a website for this would be perfect
    cantaffordit, that's a cool google link, its still likely to be better with no link, but either way works...

Palm lawyers, yes, could be a problem, I'm sure its their trademark, but for a fan site, i highly doubt they will give me/us any problems, I will take the risk.

As far as rankings, 10 days is very short, but i think for this phrase it is very doable.

Just tell me what you think the site should have on it, how we want to do this...
    If anyone wants to help pay for the costs, I won't complain, but its not too much, $11 for the domain, and "borrow" some hosting from my boss, hope he doesn't notice lol, and a bunch of time to make it nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvpsanto View Post
    I did too!!. Do you have a Zune Hd? lol i wish the palm pre's hardware was as good as the zune's
    Yes I have a Zune HD, it's honestly the nicest device I've ever owned. All I ever wished for was for it to have a few more apps and phone capabilities.

With Windows Phone 7, it's what I always wanted. The Zune HD has perfect hardware, build quality and the UI is refreshing and very usable/beautiful.

The Pre is just as fun to use, but I always felt that the hardware lacked BIG TIME compared to the Zune. Imagine a Zune HD running WebOS? *drools*
    How about Palm help themselves by making a better phone. It's that simple. If you have something people want they will buy it. Unfortunately the Pre is a niche phone with a lot of easy to fix issues that Palm won't address. Add to the fact that the updates have been sloppy. The volume icon pops everytime I press shift or speaker.
    I'm gabbing 100 stickers on the 20th. If they turn out nice then I'll order more. Simple black with white font. Someone care to correct me before I place my order? Should it be:

A) Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing.

B) Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

I also planned on having whatever URL we decide on the bottom in a smaller print. People are more likely to check out the website than to just google/bing the phrase IMHO.
    As long as the website url is like mine, not saying palm or pre or pixi or anything descriptive on it. A URL should be ok, but its very important not to make it clear what this whole thing is about until they get to the website, otherwise they will feel that they already have the answers, but the point is to get people to ask the questions, rather than being force fed.

We need the people to think, wonder, what does this mean? why does the sidewalk say "Life Moves Fast. Don't Miss a Thing"

BTW, anyone in a busy city, it would be awesome if someone went and wrote the phrase in chalk on the sidewalk! It's the kind of thing that will really get them thinking about it. it also has more chance of making the news than a bunch of people changing their facebook status does. anything we can do to make the news is a must!!!!

In the ads, palm uses "Life Moves Fast. Don't Miss a Thing." but for our purposes, its the words, not the format that matters, comma, nothing, or period in the middle, period, exclamation point, or nothing at the end... Doesn't make any difference, search engines ignore punctuation, and our goal is to get them to do the search.
    agbenson, you and tibfib should get together, 'cause he purchased a domain name, as well...I can do the write w/chalk on the sidewalk thing...xome1983 I like it with the period between the two phrases...
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    +1 for the idea. are there any implications for creating such a fan site as far as Palm lawyers are concerned? Would in make sense to just have that URL redirect to the video, or to a Palm site? I'm just asking...

And most important, can you make this show up high in the google search list? If not, no one will see it.

I still think sending out a link to "let me google that for you" would help because people will "see" what is being typed before being directed...

Check this out:
    Let me google that for you

Let know what you need from us besides commitment to participate! We are behind you!
    Be sure to place on the website that you are not affiliated with Palm,Inc. and you should be fine.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I live in Tacoma so a fairly big city, maybe some late night chalk fueled shenanigans are in order along with our sticker squad. I felt a URL would be better because if someone see's a sticker with just a phrase won't they just assume it's an up beat motivational bumper sticker? I'll go with the consensus on this so any input is appreciated.
  13.    #93  
    I realize we've been doing pretty good so far in regards to this, but let's keep stuff on topic please (no palm hardware complaints, there are other threads for those).

A viral website is a pretty good idea. I'm an experience web developer with both front and server-end experience. I'm willing to help but I feel that the best viral marketing sites are things that are simple and to the point. They usually have easter eggs in them.

For example, the site will be a plain black colour with the text "Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing" and after entering the konami code a lightbox popup will show up with an embedded youtube video to the ad.

That's my vision, anyway. If you need help implementing something like this, let me know and I can cook something up nice and quick.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Like I said, as long as the URL is non descriptive, ie the one I will be starting to set up tonight, www.lifemovesfastdontmissathing.com its not a bad plan, just do not include any reference to palm no matter what!

I'm glad to see we will have some people out there with the chalk, it will really help kick start this thing in those areas, and hopefully get the news' attention! If people want to call in a few hours into the day after they put some out there, ask the news channels whats going on, with some luck they will try to track it down, and we can make the news!

just to give an example of a big company doing something like this, Chevy did with the volt, remember those wierd commercials with the smiling electrical socket? They didn't give you any idea what was going on, but i spent some real time trying to figure it out, and so did thousands of other people. This will work like that, but with a real current product thats great, but doesn't have the buzz it needs around it.
    xome1983, I agree about the url, although we have a couple going right now...

I am in for sure. I think some front page action on precentral would be a good first step. How do we get a front page story?
    I can definately do the konami code thing, but i think that might throw too many people off... we want to make them work, but not get them too discouraged... i do think putting in some form of easter eggs is a really good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

If people think we should do it that way, we can, especially for the first date, we could, I'm just worried that it might be too tough?
    We should try for that front page on P|C after we have a solid site, something to point people to, not now when its easy to see this as never going to be big like it should. Also, the closer to the dates we get that front page, the better it is for convincing others to follow along with it.
    Although Palm uses the Konami code for DevMode, wouldn't it be more a nod to Konami to use it for the easter egg?
    My favorite phrase for stuff like this is K.I.S.S. we want people to search for the information, but we don't want to make it too difficult for people who don't know from Easter Eggs and Konami codes...we want to welcome everyone to the wonderful world of webOS, not just we techies/phone geeks, right? JMO.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast