Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts

Love this ad... webOS is shown off really nice and the girl is hot...

BTW I think the Pre and Pixi weren't shown cause maybe this the beginning of the ad campaign moving past those two older devices.... Any thoughts?
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    I love this ad too, I just got done tweeting up a storm. Go Palm Go!
    I love this ad as well...but, the ad does show a Pre. You can see it clearer at the end when "Amy" calls.

Awesome ad!
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
    Palm how hard can this be. Who is your advertising agency? Whomever they are they have no clue.

Take that same commercial and show the woman flicking away actual notifications and scrolling through real apps on a real freaking phone. How hard can this be? At the end of the commercial instead of showing the word Palm show webOS. The tagline is okay but I like 'Freedom to do what you want'. C'mon Palm.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Palm how hard can this be. Who is your advertising agency? Whomever they are they have no clue.

Take that same commercial and show the woman flicking away actual notifications and scrolling through real apps on a real freaking phone. How hard can this be? At the end of the commercial instead of showing the word Palm show webOS. The tagline is okay but I like 'Freedom to do what you want'. C'mon Palm.
    Well, I'm glad someone else said it. I don't get the praise around here for this ad. Is it an ad for WebOS or a reminder to pick up Mos Def's last album? I ask because his song was the only thing that stuck with me from the whole ad.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: If Palm is so desperate to stand apart and be contemporary at the same time, why not simply highlight WebOS in closeup and have a little narration explaining what all of that swiping does? Because as it stands, you see nothing here that you didn't in the Sprint commercials. "Frannie" was surrounded by WebOS screens and tapped and swiped on them as well. It's not enough to show that, with no context, for 30 seconds. They didn't even show anything recent like Slacker, 3D games or video editing.

Before we can get across "the feeling" of using WebOS - as every Palm ad has tried to date - you have to actually explain what WebOS is!
    I rather like this ad - definitely better than oh, that creepy girl commercial for Pre at launch?

I mean, it's really a good abstract presentation of how webos device works.

After all, it's a commercial - sometimes what you want to advertise is the brand name and image, it's not always about specific product information. I mean, this ad, with conjunction with pre plus ad by vzn I think good amt of grounds are covered - though I wish Sprint would push pre/pixi a bit more on their ads.

Regardless, the point being, I like this new Palm ad.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Well, I'm glad someone else said it. I don't get the praise around here for this ad. Is it an ad for WebOS or a reminder to pick up Mos Def's last album? I ask because his song was the only thing that stuck with me from the whole ad.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: If Palm is so desperate to stand apart and be contemporary at the same time, why not simply highlight WebOS in closeup and have a little narration explaining what all of that swiping does? Because as it stands, you see nothing here that you didn't in the Sprint commercials. "Frannie" was surrounded by WebOS screens and tapped and swiped on them as well. It's not enough to show that, with no context, for 30 seconds. They didn't even show anything recent like Slacker, 3D games or video editing.

Before we can get across "the feeling" of using WebOS - as every Palm ad has tried to date - you have to actually explain what WebOS is!
    I agree we need ads showing the nuts and bolts of the OS... but I think this is a good start, even though its a different direction... Hopefully they have enough funds for both types to run simultaneous...

(Def. an ad like one of our members did with playing the car game and having Jobs txt him @ the same time lol...)
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El

I agree. And that is why I said in a previous thread that Palm needs to take the Apple approach. Palm can use this same commercial with the same woman and have her do those things on actual phone with live apps.

And then while she is doing those things you have a voice over say "And when you want to find out where Tina wants to meet for lunch slide to the maps app. And when you don't want to answer the text from Dad just swipe it away. And when you need to call Tina slide over to the Phone app. Keep as many apps opens as you like and flick away the ones you don't want open. That is freedom. webOS by Palm. Freedom to do what you want".

As you said you have to tell people what is actually happening. Have we not learned from Apple. You have to speak directly to the audience like they're children. And I'm not saying that in a rude way.
    This is much better than Creepy ad girl campaign which had FAIL written all over it.

Now, if they could just mention which phone or at least which OS is being used, that would be perfect.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdcoop View Post
    I rather like this ad - definitely better than oh, that creepy girl commercial for Pre at launch?

I mean, it's really a good abstract presentation of how webos device works.

After all, it's a commercial - sometimes what you want to advertise is the brand name and image, it's not always about specific product information. I mean, this ad, with conjunction with pre plus ad by vzn I think good amt of grounds are covered - though I wish Sprint would push pre/pixi a bit more on their ads.

Regardless, the point being, I like this new Palm ad.
    I agree, I thought it was a great commercial & a almost perfect example of real life multitasking.
    It's a move in the right direction but all that time spent on google maps is a waste since it's somewhat inferior to other platforms. For someome who doesn't know about WebOS, it doesn't tell them much. It should have had notifications popping up while she was in an app and swiping some away while checkinf out one like a text asking where to eat, switch to google maps, switch to where, and then back to text and then a phone call. I don't know. Something more tangible but it's better than what they've been.

I disagree. I dont think a commercial showing more of the nuts and bolts is needed. You are confusing someone like you and me that go onto precentral.net and really get into their phone, most people dont know anything about anything. Id say most iPhone users have an iphone b/c its the "cool" phone with the apps and the commercials are a hook (look at all the apple ads). I think they did a great job showing the uses you can have for the phone. You can see yourself doing exactly what she did in the commercial. Most people use an iphone for talking and texting with a dumb app here and there. Those are the customers palm needs. If someone actually wants to play 3D games, they already know enough to do research themselves, not sure my wife would even know what a 3D game is, but she thinks the iphone is cool.
    Why so many negative nancy's around here? If Palm took Apple's marketing playbook they'd get ripped for copying Apple. This ad shows multitasking, it shows the OS (albeit not on an actual phone), and it shows a fun side youthful side to Palm, something that was completely lacking in their previous attempts. This is certainly a step in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by friguy3 View Post
    I disagree. I dont think a commercial showing more of the nuts and bolts is needed. You are confusing someone like you and me that go onto precentral.net and really get into their phone, most people dont know anything about anything. Id say most iPhone users have an iphone b/c its the "cool" phone with the apps and the commercials are a hook (look at all the apple ads). I think they did a great job showing the uses you can have for the phone. You can see yourself doing exactly what she did in the commercial. Most people use an iphone for talking and texting with a dumb app here and there. Those are the customers palm needs. If someone actually wants to play 3D games, they already know enough to do research themselves, not sure my wife would even know what a 3D game is, but she thinks the iphone is cool.
    I kind of agree, but there has to be context or a basic understanding of what the person is doing. From viewing that commercial, the person that doesn't know anything about webOS has no clue what those transparent things on the screen are and what the woman is doing.

That is why a voice-over to explain what is happening helps. You mentioned the iPhone ads. Those ads are notorious for explaining what is going on.

But the commercial is better than what Verizon has done which was better than what Sprint did and better than the crazy lady abstract commercials.
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    Why so many negative nancy's around here? If Palm took Apple's marketing playbook they'd get ripped for copying Apple. This ad shows multitasking, it shows the OS (albeit not on an actual phone), and it shows a fun side youthful side to Palm, something that was completely lacking in their previous attempts. This is certainly a step in the right direction.
    Again, it is a step in the right direction. However, no one that is unfamiliar with webOS knows that what the woman is doing is multitasking. For the commercial to be effective you have to explain that to the audience what she is doing and then show the advantages of doing it that way.

I'm all for copying Apple b/c their commercials make it really clear what is happening and how it benefits you.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I am in the middle , mikah has a good point , which is showing WebOS. And you have a good point about "Coolness" too. I would say keep the add as is , but when you show the features, show them on the phone itself. Its better than this girl walking and they are projected on her.

But I have to say this is much better than the creepy lady video. They should have released in June 2009.
    I like the ad better than the previous versions. Because wow, was that virtual floating screen nice! Big and fast. I wish my Pre was that fast.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Again, it is a step in the right direction. However, no one that is unfamiliar with webOS knows that what the woman is doing is multitasking. For the commercial to be effective you have to explain that to the audience what she is doing and then show the advantages of doing it that way.

I'm all for copying Apple b/c their commercials make it really clear what is happening and how it benefits you.
    Maybe they don't know it's multitasking by name but the add clearly shows multiple apps open at once and She's flicking through them something you only get with webOS. Something more direct maybe would be a bit better, but it is a good ad. I'm cool with them taking Apple's direct approach too but the majority of people would see that as Palm ripping off apple, not exactly something you want potential buyers to think about your product.
    after watching that commercial, which i liked, I was browsing through the other recommended youtube videos that relate to this one. I noticed there was another commercial strictly promoting the touchstone. Is that an old commercial? I've never seen it before. Just watch the ad again and when it's done look through the other videos that are recommended.

Edit: Here is the link --
    At this point, it's not quite about agree or disagree here, but now it's about what could have been "better".

I think this particular commercial is definitely a step toward right direction and I like it. I think this is pretty good, to get some sort of name out there to begin with, which Apple could just "skip" right ahead since, Apple/iPhone is (like it or not) a household name by now. Now where does Palm go with their campaign now, the logical guess and proper step should be - let's now focus on specifics. Show how it (basically) kicks iphone's *** when it comes to handling 3d games. How you can multi-task and navigate through cards seamlessly (which iphone can't) - though briefly that creepy girl commercial did cover this.

Unfortunately, I think Palm really needs to reestablish their company image/name all over again - it's not like 10+ yrs ago when Palm Pilots were like the hottest and newest gadget out there and all the 'cool' kids knew what it was anymore. Not to mention, now there must be "broader" appeal, since "everyone" (I admit I use this word generally) seem to own a smart phone nowadays, everyone and their moms' neighbors' dogs. It's no longer about appealing to specific niche, but it has to appeal to masses. Which is where it becomes extremely difficult - it's (relatively) easy to appeal to specific group by ages, genders, interests, but how do you appeal to just about everyone? We can speculate this, this, or that, but when it comes down to it, there is no 'right' answer. But kudos to Palm for this new ad - it is definitely a step toward "right" direction.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast