Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Forgive me if this was all ready mentioned, but I didn't want to read all 6 pages.

But please compare these two adds, one of which was very very successful.

vs

Which shows off more of the product and its features? What is the common thread? They both look like tons of fun to use. That is what Palm is selling. They want to show that their product makes dealing with the little bits of life fun. Selling fun sure as hell worked for Apple.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    This ad, though not the best, is a big step in the right direction. I remember the weird chick and the "mom" commercials, both which failed hard. However I enjoyed this commercial. Lets see what they can do next. It kind of reminded me of the WM7S commercials they showed at the last big conference a couple weeks ago.
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
    I wouldn't bet the farm that the average, uncaring person will even assume that whatever she's doing with the holograms in the air is even related to the phone. At least not until they see the Palm logo at the end... If they know who Palm is. I think it's totally feasible for someone to take away from this ad, 'person is on phone. person hangs up and does weird stuff with air-holograms. person talks on a phone again. Palm.'

Granted, this would be a pretty dim person, haha, but still.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr3Lov3r View Post
    I love this ad as well...but, the ad does show a Pre. You can see it clearer at the end when "Amy" calls....
    Whatever she's holding, the screen dimensions are that of a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    I just want a solid slider, clicker keyboard, and larger (3.5" - 3.7" no more) higher Res screen in the same shape and style... (Bump the dimensions up by a 1/4 inch or so to fit the screen and I'm cool...)
    +25
    my thoughts exactly
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Kinda like those uber-successful Palm Pixi commercials, eh? Catchy song, technical function, Google Maps, swiping....all in a chic and modern style that led to......

?
    Right exactly, but this one seems its geared for more brand recognition, not just the pixi.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    ...Want to go back to Moms? Show a busy mom in a minivan with the kids in the back.....have the screen multitask the same way....
    And then the mom crashes because she is not paying attention to the road, but she is able to dial 911 and look up 1st Aid info in an app at the same time.
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 03/17/2010 at 12:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    I wouldn't bet the farm that the average, uncaring person will even assume that whatever she's doing with the holograms in the air is even related to the phone. At least not until they see the Palm logo at the end... If they know who Palm is. I think it's totally feasible for someone to take away from this ad, 'person is on phone. person hangs up and does weird stuff with air-holograms. person talks on a phone again. Palm.'

Granted, this would be a pretty dim person, haha, but still.
    There's a lot of people who are tuned into the modern world of technology, but still don't know enough to know who Palm is. I think this will relate to people who like gadgets, hip cool stuff, shopping and attraction to females. I believe this commercial is more brand recognition, not just the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    And then the mom crashes because she is not paying attention to the road, but she is able to dial 911 and look up 1st Aid info in am app at the same time.
    Then the 2nd ad will air, showing her in court because she broke the law where people can't talk on their cell phones...and she endangered the lives of her kids in the minivan... will little Timmy ever play soccer again? The camera switches to her Palm Pre **Starts the Fortune Telling 8 Ball App**, and it says "I don't think so..." :'(
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    ...And one ad should show someone grabbing their Pre/Pixi off a Touchstone at home in the morning, doing stuff on their commute, and then finishing by sticking it on a Touchstone in the office.
    How about this: Business Suit Guy gets off the elevator, music is playing, he shucks his Pre open, the Pandora screen pops up in front of him, the phone in his hand falls to his side, and he votes the tune thumbs up. He smiles as he makes way through the office. He goes into card view and his calendar is the only other open app. He taps the calendar and we see synergy's pretty colors.

Text and email notifcations pop up: The text reads NSFW and a link, which promptly gets swiped away. The email notification mentions an attachment. Still smiling his way through the office, Business Suit Guy taps the notification and the calendar jumps to the side, making room for the email message. He taps the attachment and it loads into Doc View. He pauses at the door to his office (can't be a schmuck working in a cubicle, right!?) and looks over the document. He flicks it closed and enters his offce.

Now -- and this is where it gets cool -- he walks to his desk, puts his stuff down, and places his Pre on the Touchstone. The screens that were floating around him shift to float around the device on the charger, which the audience gets, because the "Charging Battery" notification pops up. He flips back to Pandora and flicks the app off of the "screen." He turns to his computer, opens his exchange email and views the same document he viewed on his phone.
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 03/17/2010 at 02:16 AM.
    I just read this article:
    This Palm ad should finally appeal to viewers | Smartphones and Cell Phones | ZDNet.com

and I loved this referenced idea from it:

one of the best I heard was from the guys on Engadget in the latest Engadget podcast 187 where they mentioned showing a Pre in a person’s hands playing a game to make you think it was an iPhone, then zoom out to show the Pre Plus while the hand then swipes to go to card view pausing the game and doing another task, then jumping right back into where the game left off.
    I think Palm should do this for the video recorder as well as all the other apps that people will at first think it's an iPhone....
    Engadget's gaming concept would be a seriously cool ad idea...for the Palm Pre PLUS. For the Pre, it'd be bordering on misinformation, depending on how reliable your individual Pre manages memory.

Now that I think about it, if they're trying to build WebOS as the brand far beyond handsets, they might want to skip the gaming for now as Pixi owners can't touch it at all, and some Pre owners can barely run it.
    Finally a good ad this time. If you would like to download the ringtone of that original song just make a click on the zip file

"Quiet Dog Bite Hard" by Mos Def

A gaming one wouldn't be too bad. If CES 2009 was about introducing webOS, then 2010 was about gaming. The ad campaigns in 2009 did little to intro the cool features of webOS. Commercials this year so far have failed to capitalize on gaming or even mention it.

Thing is, the marketing is still at square one. Ideally Palm would be adding gaming chapters right now with a centralized theme already established.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If you're selling something general like beer, then it makes sense to add a gimmick. Usually a humorous or hip one.

Thing is, palm isn't selling corn. It doesn't need to be that creative. The OS sells itself....
    If you are correct that "the OS sells itself" then why are we having this discussion? Palm would be #1... The answer is that "the OS doesn't sell itself". The way it benefits a person is what connects the user to the brand.

If the OS sells itself, Palm would be #1, and Microsoft wouldn't rule the world because they certainly have never been accused of being the best at anything... until about version 15.x maybe.

The majority of users today are sold on what it can do for them, and how they feel about their purchase. Just ask Apple, BMW (they sell joy), and other products with strong brand recognition.

By the way, I still think Palm's next phone should bring back the Palm Pilot name. That is still one of the most recognized names, and it still carries brand value. They put too much emphasis on the word "palm" while Microsoft tried to control the name "pocket" back in the PDA days. Notice that Microsoft has dropped "pocket" and many other names that didn't resonate. Palm Pilot worked for them, as did Visor and Treo...

Who the heck knows what "Pre" is about? Pre-what? Pre-release? Pre-historic? Or "Pre Plus"? Plus what? In their current commercial they brag that it has "8 more gigs of memory".... 8 more than what? does that help the user somehow? If "8 more" is good, can I have "32 more?" etc etc. The user needs to connect that "feature" into a benefit that resonates.

I think their biggest problem is around branding and connecting that brand to what people want to do with their phones...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 03/17/2010 at 12:33 PM.
    Oh, and Palm needs to change the default picture of that flower on the phone. In person it shows off the brilliant display. In their advertising (and on the box) it just makes it look like women's jewelry (not that there is anything wrong with looking like women's jewelry)...

That doesn't grab the user with anything compelling. I think it is actually a detractor...
    I find the new ad pretty infectious. You can see the woman's reaction while she interfaces with the OS elements. It doesn't have to be exactly what you see on the screen. The whole thing tells a story, and I love the way she swipes the txt off, then she goes through the different shoe stores till she finds one that makes her smile and then she talks to her friend. Then at the end the text swipes off the screen to the next like a WebOS card would.

All of this goes on while catchy music is playing. That worked really well for apple. The ipod ads with the dancing people, and they always had some catchy song that people didn't know yet, so it got them more interest. Then they go online and try and find out what it is, and it keeps the word Palm in their mind. Now they have to remember who that company was so they can look it up. It also has a personality, which is good for a brand.

So I say keep it up. Bring out more ads with different personalities doing their daily thing like this with the same style.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If you are correct that "the OS sells itself" then why are we having this discussion? Palm would be #1... The answer is that "the OS doesn't sell itself". The way it benefits a person is what connects the user to the brand.

If the OS sells itself, Palm would be #1, and Microsoft wouldn't rule the world because they certainly have never been accused of being the best at anything... until about version 15.x maybe.

The majority of users today are sold on what it can do for them, and how they feel about their purchase. Just ask Apple, BMW (they sell joy), and other products with strong brand recognition.
    cardfan has good point , but your have a valid point on why PALM is not no 1 in spite of having the best mobile os out there. The reasons is simple the look of the product is not "desirable" the looks are not there. They need to introduce a solid slab phone in next three months to make the OS desirable. Apple and Bmw match their functionality with the looks.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567