Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 138
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If I was pathologically negative toward the platform, I would cheer this ad because I truly, genuinely believe it is another step toward the demise of a company and platform that had so much potential that it was the only phone that I enthused about for months before release and arrived to purchased an hour before my local Sprint store opened.

    I don't want to demean anyone as a mindless cheerleader. You guys love your Pre phones and want Palm to succeed too. And we differ on how they arrive there, and that's fine.

    But I ask you and anyone else approving of this ad....what's the difference? Why were the previous lady-centric, touchy-feely hip music ads BAD and this lady-centric, touchy feely hip music ad good? As I said before, this lady interacts with WebOS about as much as "Frannie" did in the Sprint commercials however long ago. The commercial makes the OS look about as fun and hip as it did during the Pixi ads, which were a complete failure as evidenced by continually declining sales.

    So I genuinely want to know....how is this better?
    Based on your premises, you're correct. However, your premises are wrong. She is indeed interacting with WebOS. When she swipes away that alerts, that's interacting with WebOS. When sh started looking for shopping locations, she was using a feature built into the phone. When she was swiping through the different retail outlets, she was using WebOS. Yep, even when she answered the phone.

    Yes, she's interacting with an exaggerated large representating, but besides the size, what's she's doing is what I do dozens of times a day.

    And she did it effortlessly, without it interfering with what she was already doing.

    Will it skyrocket sales overnight? Probably not. Most advertising doesn't. I'm about willing to bet though, that this is the first of what we'll see as a collection of similar "this is how I use my Pre" ads.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yeah, RIM (who is really the top of the heap device) owns so much of the market because of all those informative, feature-laden ads showing off the devices... Right?
    Yes, it's amazing, isn't it?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I know you are being snarky, but I'm genuinely glad you made this point.

    What made us all fall in love with this platform initially? Palm's dynamite CES keynote. It made EVERYONE care and gave them the buzz they needed to sustain any interest for 6 months. And what was in that address?

    Clear, concise demos and explanations of the advantages of the platform. Yes, swiping looked cool, but it came with plenty of context so that we could see the potential.

    Now think...who fell in love with this platform as a result of the esoteric ads unleashed by Palm or their carrier partners?

    .........
    Nope, not me. That may be what made you "fall in love" with it (see, I never did "fall in love" with it). Maybe that explains a lot. Nothing worse than a lover who leaves a relationship feeling that they were shortchanged somehow.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Nope, not me. That may be what made you "fall in love" with it (see, I never did "fall in love" with it). Maybe that explains a lot. Nothing worse than a lover who leaves a relationship feeling that they were shortchanged somehow.
    And these folks don't ever seem to notice that most often, we're not specifically defending Palm, the Pre, or webOS. In many cases, they don't actually need defending, and in some cases whatever's wrong with them is so obvious that it's not even worth mentioning (and that's the point).

    Rather, we're most often responding to posts that are ridiculous for their condescending negativity, or offensive for their entitlement mentality, or unreasonable for their assertion that Palm should do things that are impossible for a small, cash-strapped company to do. In this particular thread, what got me going wasn't disagreement that the ad was a good one, but rather the assertion that I'm an ***** for liking it.

    Of course, it's easier to just call someone a cheerleader. That way, you can avoid actually considering what they've written.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I guess there's no point in being passionate about this platform unless it's positively so. Otherwise...you're just vehemently wallowing in negativity.

    Seems fair.
    I really don't think you get it. Your "positive" statements about Palm remind me of the joke about the doofus complimenting a girl by saying "she don't sweat so much for a fat girl".

    You confuse the comments by some of us - they're not "passionate", they're simply consistent - but we're here because this is a forum for and about Palm devices.

    If we were "passionate" about it, we be extolling the virtues of the device we "love" on forums for other devices.

    Ring a bell?
  6. #86  
    i think what this ad does is raise interest. If you have no idea what it is, your interest to check it out will peak.
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    And these folks don't ever seem to notice that most often, we're not specifically defending Palm, the Pre, or webOS. In many cases, they don't actually need defending, and in some cases whatever's wrong with them is so obvious that it's not even worth mentioning (and that's the point).

    Rather, we're most often responding to posts that are ridiculous for their condescending negativity, or offensive for their entitlement mentality, or unreasonable for their assertion that Palm should do things that are impossible for a small, cash-strapped company to do. In this particular thread, what got me going wasn't disagreement that the ad was a good one, but rather the assertion that I'm an ***** for liking it.

    Of course, it's easier to just call someone a cheerleader. That way, you can avoid actually considering what they've written.
    Bingo You have nailed it. If you come on a Palm forum, and simply say you like device, offer reasonable arguments against those that offer unreasonable objections, and make efforts to help others, you're a "passionate cheerleader" (which I thought only existed in my sweet imagination when I was 16... but I digress).

    On the other hand, if you come on here and act like a jilted lover, you're simply warning folks ahead of time.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    How about "none of the above"?

    You're assuming things "not in evidence". The iPhone jumpted to the (almost) top of the heap because of the name. They jumped before they ever issed the types of ads you're talking about.

    You may think the Droid phone ads were informative, but I didn't think the originals were at all, and the more current crop no more so than what I saw on the Pre ad. (The original showed revolutionary device crawling out of a metorite (or something) crater, hardly informative. The current one (that I see most of us) has a robot playing with ... uh yeah, Google Maps (I think that's Google Maps)).

    No matter what one may think of this ad, it's as far from the "Borg Queen" ads as the Droid ad was.
    I disagree.

    The iPhone 1.0 had a certain level of success, but it hit a whole new level once iPhone marketed "apps" in a way no other smartphone had done previously. Commercials did that. IPhone snatched the "multitasking" crown with their latest round of commercials because they're the only company that effectively advertises it. Did you see how the iPad trended after the commercial after that premiere commercial?

    Likewise, Droid started at one level with enigmatic commercials, but when it hit, it BLANKETED the airwaves with several detailed ads, each focusing on different capabilities. And they were the first to mention multitasking and the first to show universal search and synergy. All advantages that Palm squandered.
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I guess there's no point in being passionate about this platform unless it's positively so. Otherwise...you're just vehemently wallowing in negativity.

    Seems fair.
    Actually, yes, you're entirely correct. There's no point in being unconstructively critical (in tone, if not in content). Indeed, if your purpose is in fact to help the platform succeed, then you're working at cross purposes to your own objectives by being so implacably negative.

    What's "unfair" about that?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  10. #90  
    You guys have an interesting, yet confusing and contradictory perspective that I have given up trying to crack.

    I guess we'll just watch how things go and see how effective these steps are. Thursday should help shed some light on how things have gone up to this point.
  11. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #91  
    mikah912 and cardfan, no point in discussing the ads. This one is sure better than the first one. PALM should focus on a HD2 type form factor. It will sell itself. With three phones in the lineup they probably make enough to feed their thousand employees. That is more important than their competition with APPLE or GOOGLE.
  12. #92  
    she's a hottie... How can I get number
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You guys have an interesting, yet confusing and contradictory perspective that I have given up trying to crack.
    To quote the kids nowadays, whatevs.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I guess we'll just watch how things go and see how effective these steps are. Thursday should help shed some light on how things have gone up to this point.
    Apropos of nothing, of course. Nobody's said that things are going great; quite the contrary. And things could and very well might go south over the longer term with or without this--or any other--ad.
    Last edited by wynand32; 03/15/2010 at 09:20 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I disagree.

    The iPhone 1.0 had a certain level of success, but it hit a whole new level once iPhone marketed "apps" in a way no other smartphone had done previously. Commercials did that. IPhone snatched the "multitasking" crown with their latest round of commercials because they're the only company that effectively advertises it. Did you see how the iPad trended after the commercial after that premiere commercial?

    Likewise, Droid started at one level with enigmatic commercials, but when it hit, it BLANKETED the airwaves with several detailed ads, each focusing on different capabilities. And they were the first to mention multitasking and the first to show universal search and synergy. All advantages that Palm squandered.
    Maybe your experiences are different than mine. Virtually everyone I know that got an iPhone, got the original one. Since then, they've simply updated.

    I've only seen one "detailed" Droid ad. And I'm not a robot, so I don't know that it applies to me...
  15. #95  
    It's really cool! It's the kind of creative ad that should generate interest in Palm.

    While the girl is hot - and that's nice - and she's shown in a social type of environment, the next ads should also show guys and some work type environments, like in a construction project or doing sales, because I think this should be part of Palm's target market.
  16. #96  
    Make it viral: Repost this ad on Facebook and MySpace!
  17. #97  
    Love the commercial.

    Can't wait to see the others!
  18. dsei's Avatar
    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #98  
    While I think the ad is a definite improvement, I'm with the side that thinks they need to keep it simple and just showcase webOS for what it is. Why can't they just run the "learn how it works" clips found here: Palm USA | Palm Touchstone Technology

    These clips are cheap, simple and clearly showcase the beauty of webOS in a short time period.

    I think the iPhone ads worked well because they focused on the phone. It was a game changing device and it clearly demonstrated that. When I used an iPhone for the first time, it felt comfortable to me because I had seen it demo'd so well already.

    The Droid ads worked because they clearly identified the phone as being on the same level an iPhone (which is already a household name), but actually exceeded it in certain areas ("Droid does").

    Palm needs to focus on what differentiates itself from these two platforms. Cards, notifications, synergy, Exchange support, Touchstone, etc etc... explain these to people. Nobody I talk to about my phone really has a clue on what it can do (mainly because they're not tech geeks like me), but they are amazed after I give them a detailed demo. I really think running several different short, simple ads will be 1000x more effective.

    At the end of the day, most people are going to buy this phone for webOS. Now it's time to really show people what webOS is.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by osmanmia View Post
    It's really cool! It's the kind of creative ad that should generate interest in Palm.

    While the girl is hot - and that's nice - and she's shown in a social type of environment, the next ads should also show guys and some work type environments, like in a construction project or doing sales, because I think this should be part of Palm's target market.
    Agree. Hell, they could have used almost this exact ad, but added a youngish (upper-20's, early 30's, say) man in casual dress clothing (possibly post-work attire-- slacks, collared shirt with rolled up sleeves and loosened tie, jacket over his shoulder) walking downtown, early evening (still light) maybe about to meet up with his friends or girlfriend or something at a pub. The text message could read "hey where are you?" or something. Or it could be directions to the bar, he taps the message and it takes him to the maps card (apps working together). I dunno, something like that.

    [^posted the same comment in the blog post, too]
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    Agree. Hell, they could have used almost this exact ad, but added a youngish (upper-20's, early 30's, say) man in casual dress clothing (possibly post-work attire-- slacks, collared shirt with rolled up sleeves and loosened tie, jacket over his shoulder) walking downtown, early evening (still light) maybe about to meet up with his friends or girlfriend or something at a pub. The text message could read "hey where are you?" or something. Or it could be directions to the bar, he taps the message and it takes him to the maps card (apps working together). I dunno, something like that.

    [^posted the same comment in the blog post, too]
    I totally agree. The ad with the woman, although good, lacked a narrative. She was just sort of aimlessly walking around the city. I could be even more effective if it showed you, hey, this thing is *useful* for getting things done & organizing my life.

    It'd also position WebOS as a social phone and a way to keep in touch with people, which is something that the iPhone and Droid haven't really done in advertising. The multitasking and unobtrusive notifications really ties in here, because you can communicate with people while doing other stuff on your phone, seamlessly.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions