Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    You do? Really? You're just that much smarter than us, eh?
    Never meant that. I don't see how people can think these are good is all. Good as in effective.
    What some folks might want to keep in mind is that, like it or not, Palm can't just play the same game as Apple and Google and survive. They must find ways to differentiate themselves, both with the platform itself and in their marketing.

While the first ads didn't do it, I think this ad is much better. It hits on what makes webOS work so well, at least for me (and I've heard others say the same)--it makes real life tasks easier to do. And, I'll qualify my support this way: if this ad is the only one Palm has produced, then I'll agree that it might be too limited. If it's the first of a series of ads with different people doing different real-life tasks, then I think it could be very effective.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Never meant that. I don't see how people can think these are good is all. Good as in effective.
    Let's see: the ad is upbeat, catchy, and shows a happy, attractive woman using this really cool thing to make her real, honest-to-goodness life easier. Come on, we can disagree here, but are you saying you literally can't see how these ads could be effective?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Of your entire post, this is the only thing I agree with.
    Actually his post is dead on. If you can't understand what he's saying then there's probably no point in trying to go any further with this.

I get you're a fan of webOS, the Pre, the ground over at Palm HQ, the air that Ruby breathes out, etc. I know you wear palm shaded sunglasses.

If my 3yr old draws a picture and it looks like crap, i'll still tell her it looks great and how awesome she is.

But even though i own a palm pre and every other palm device before it, Palm isn't my kid. If palm produces crap, then i'll say it. Too bad you can't do the same. Take off the cheerleading outfit..it makes you look like an *****.
    Of your entire post, this is the only thing I agree with.
    So you think Palm should continue ads in the same style of the Pixi and Borg Queen ads instead of informative ads that have catapulted the Droid and iPhone to the top of the heap?

I mean, people here go on all day as to how inferior the Droid is and why they don't understand why people buy it. Only possible answer could be advertising, no? People here also go on all day about how no one knows about WebOS and don't understand why people don't buy the Pre.

Again, the only possible answer could be advertising, no?

So when Palm gets a chance to completely divorce itself from the vague, emotional ads of the past that have led to no one knowing about the Pre, and to use the effective, informative style that has helped Droid to dominance, they..........

.....continue on the path of failure. What's not to like? Apparently, you guys think Palm only has to find the right coupling of lady and song.

Maybe for the C40 commercial, they could get Kendra to bop around to something off the MGMT record while she air swipes text message notifications. And if that doesn't work, maybe they can get Zooey Deschanel to sing a song like she did for the cotton commercial while she cues up Pandora. Then, if that doesn't work...with the money they have left...we'd be lucky to see Tara Reid fumbling to open a Pre as Dee-Lite plays in the background.
    Let's see: the ad is upbeat, catchy, and shows a happy, attractive woman using this really cool thing to make her real, honest-to-goodness life easier. Come on, we can disagree here, but are you saying you literally can't see how these ads could be effective?
    sucks.
    people see this 3d show and still have no real feeling what the phones about..

Donlt show how happy people are using the phone and just show the phone!

my videos show what Webos is much better
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    sucks.
    people see this 3d show and still have no real feeling what the phones about..

Donlt show how happy people are using the phone and just show the phone!

my videos show what Webos is much better
    Give that man a cigar..
    What some folks might want to keep in mind is that, like it or not, Palm can't just play the same game as Apple and Google and survive. They must find ways to differentiate themselves, both with the platform itself and in their marketing.
    Why do people think that you can't use narration in an ad and be different than someone else who does?

Are the Droid commercials ANYTHING like the Apple commercials? No. Except that they show you the product in closeup and ACTUALLY TELL YOU what you are looking at. And it's mighty effective. Palm can ALSO show the product in closeup, tell you what you are looking at, but do it in a different way. That's what you pay advertising agencies for. What's creative about someone young and attractive swiping/tapping stuff and walking along to contemporary music? That's just like the MyTouch3G and HTC/You ads.

So not only is Palm making lookalike ads, but they're choosing to emulate the midrange competitors instead of the top-notch ones!

While the first ads didn't do it, I think this ad is much better. It hits on what makes webOS work so well, at least for me (and I've heard others say the same)--it makes real life tasks easier to do. And, I'll qualify my support this way: if this ad is the only one Palm has produced, then I'll agree that it might be too limited. If it's the first of a series of ads with different people doing different real-life tasks, then I think it could be very effective.
    Are we operating under the assumption that Palm - whose stock has dropped 50 percent in the past month, whose sales estimates were slashed by the CEO AHEAD of earnings, who is super short on cash - has time and money to gradually implement a new brand and campaign for WebOS?

That the best way to show off the OS is to focus on Google Maps, which is on every platform in existence and in much better and more responsive forms on competitors?

That a company whose past ads have been criticized for being too female-centric and esoteric do the exact same thing again, but now it's better?
    Actually his post is dead on. If you can't understand what he's saying then there's probably no point in trying to go any further with this.
    You're absolutely correct that there's no point in trying to go any further with this, but not because I can't understand what he's saying. I understand completely. I just disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Are we operating under the assumption that Palm - whose stock has dropped 50 percent in the past month, whose sales estimates were slashed by the CEO AHEAD of earnings, who is super short on cash - has time and money to gradually implement a new brand and campaign for WebOS?
    I don't know what assumption you're operating on, but that's not mine. Actually, I'm beginning to wonder whether or not Palm has any chance of surviving as an independent entity--Apple, Google, and Microsoft have over $100 billion in cash between them to spend as they wish on this very important space. And, that doesn't even include RIM, who still owns the lion's share of the market. Against these odds, Palm might just be doomed no matter what they do.

However, a company in Palm's condition must do what they can regardless, until they simply can't do it any longer. That means coming up with product and marketing strategies (whether you agree with them or not) and trying their best to implement them. In short, I simply don't agree that a feature ad (or series of ads) is necessarily so much obviously better than this sort of ad that it deserves your scorn.

I'm accused in this thread of being a mindless chearleader for saying this ad is potentially effective, and for generally supporting Palm's efforts (support that has been born out on numerous occasions). Fine, you're entitled to your opinion. For myself, though, I submit that you and some others are pathologically negative toward this platform, and I wonder upon reading every post you make why you're still here.
    I don't know what assumption you're operating on, but that's not mine. Actually, I'm beginning to wonder whether or not Palm has any chance of surviving as an independent entity--Apple, Google, and Microsoft have over $100 billion in cash between them to spend as they wish on this very important space. And, that doesn't even include RIM, who still owns the lion's share of the market. Against these odds, Palm might just be doomed no matter what they do.

However, a company in Palm's condition must do what they can regardless, until they simply can't do it any longer. That means coming up with product and marketing strategies (whether you agree with them or not) and trying their best to implement them. In short, I simply don't agree that a feature ad (or series of ads) is necessarily so much obviously better than this sort of ad that it deserves your scorn.

I'm accused in this thread of being a mindless chearleader for saying this ad is potentially effective, and for generally supporting Palm's efforts (support that has been born out on numerous occasions). Fine, you're entitled to your opinion. For myself, though, I submit that you and some others are pathologically negative toward this platform, and I wonder upon reading every post you make why you're still here.
    If I was pathologically negative toward the platform, I would cheer this ad because I truly, genuinely believe it is another step toward the demise of a company and platform that had so much potential that it was the only phone that I enthused about for months before release and arrived to purchased an hour before my local Sprint store opened.

I don't want to demean anyone as a mindless cheerleader. You guys love your Pre phones and want Palm to succeed too. And we differ on how they arrive there, and that's fine.

But I ask you and anyone else approving of this ad....what's the difference? Why were the previous lady-centric, touchy-feely hip music ads BAD and this lady-centric, touchy feely hip music ad good? As I said before, this lady interacts with WebOS about as much as "Frannie" did in the Sprint commercials however long ago. The commercial makes the OS look about as fun and hip as it did during the Pixi ads, which were a complete failure as evidenced by continually declining sales.

So I genuinely want to know....how is this better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Thats the beauty of the iPhone, there are endless apps for just about ANYTHING. Just as they advertise, and you don't necessarily have to pay for them. I believe once the iPhone add multi-tasking it will be OVER for Palm. What edge will Palm have over the other platforms out there? The commercial should have shown the phone and how you can multi-task and not these stupid poetic visuals. Some of the best vids I've seen are home made ones posted right here on precentral.
    GeoStrings - works in the background, and is a location based "ToDo" list. Nothing like it on the iPhone.

Maybe Palm should show that, with some geeky crowd-follower in the background saying "Dude, I can't find an app for that..."
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    We should all hope for a Palm Does ad, or a voice over narrative ad because until then no one is going to be pleased.
    Yeah, all these folks that have already purchased Palm devices don't like the ads and insist that Palm come out with something that they think will make people buy the devices ... that they already bought... I mean... Well, you know what I mean. Right?

I get you're a fan of webOS, the Pre, the ground over at Palm HQ, the air that Ruby breathes out, etc. I know you wear palm shaded sunglasses.

If my 3yr old draws a picture and it looks like crap, i'll still tell her it looks great and how awesome she is.

But even though i own a palm pre and every other palm device before it, Palm isn't my kid. If palm produces crap, then i'll say it. Too bad you can't do the same. Take off the cheerleading outfit..it makes you look like an *****.
    Yeah right. That's exactly what he's said. That he worships the ground over at Palm HA, the air that Ruby breathes, etc.

No wonder he takes you so seriously, you just so ... perceptive...

Oh, and wise too.

Yeah, that's it.
    But I ask you and anyone else approving of this ad....what's the difference? Why were the previous lady-centric, touchy-feely hip music ads BAD and this lady-centric, touchy feely hip music ad good? As I said before, this lady interacts with WebOS about as much as "Frannie" did in the Sprint commercials however long ago. The commercial makes the OS look about as fun and hip as it did during the Pixi ads, which were a complete failure as evidenced by continually declining sales.
    The first ads were far too bizarre and conceptual. They made the audience have to think about the point, like correlating a juggler's activity to using the Pre to manage a busy life. This ad shows an attractive woman walking down a busy street doing multiple things at once--listening to music, noticing and then dismissing notifications, swiping through multiple applications, and then accomplishing the task of choosing a venue. It's obviously less bizarre, and much more to the point.

I've said elsewhere that I believe the strength of webOS to be how it works as a whole to make one's life easier. It can't compete on the number (or, in many cases, the quality) of apps, it doesn't have Google's services standing firmly behind it, etc., and so it doesn't compete directly on features. But the multitasking, notifications system, Synergy, etc. combine to make it a great phone for actually doing things. And I think this ad shows that nicely, and would be even more powerful as one of a series of ads.

I believe that Apple ads are effective because they presume a certain knowledge of the product. They're just reinforcing what everybody already knows. The Droid ads were effective because they played against the iPhone and because $100 million was spent on the blitz. Palm doesn't enjoy either of those circumstances.

Again, I can see how you might disagree. That's fine, it's certainly debatable. But the vehemence of your disagreement, and you and your clone's assertion that we're basically idiots for liking it, is what gets to me. Just for kicks, go out and do a quick survey--I think you'll find that the press around the new ad is pretty darn good, and that's a real positive. But if you feel you know so much better, enjoy wallowing in your negativity.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yeah, all these folks that have already purchased Palm devices don't like the ads and insist that Palm come out with something that they think will make people buy the devices ... that they already bought... I mean... Well, you know what I mean. Right?
    I know you are being snarky, but I'm genuinely glad you made this point.

What made us all fall in love with this platform initially? Palm's dynamite CES keynote. It made EVERYONE care and gave them the buzz they needed to sustain any interest for 6 months. And what was in that address?

Clear, concise demos and explanations of the advantages of the platform. Yes, swiping looked cool, but it came with plenty of context so that we could see the potential.

Now think...who fell in love with this platform as a result of the esoteric ads unleashed by Palm or their carrier partners?

So you think Palm should continue ads in the same style of the Pixi and Borg Queen ads instead of informative ads that have catapulted the Droid and iPhone to the top of the heap?
    How about "none of the above"?

You're assuming things "not in evidence". The iPhone jumpted to the (almost) top of the heap because of the name. They jumped before they ever issed the types of ads you're talking about.

You may think the Droid phone ads were informative, but I didn't think the originals were at all, and the more current crop no more so than what I saw on the Pre ad. (The original showed revolutionary device crawling out of a metorite (or something) crater, hardly informative. The current one (that I see most of us) has a robot playing with ... uh yeah, Google Maps (I think that's Google Maps)).

No matter what one may think of this ad, it's as far from the "Borg Queen" ads as the Droid ad was.
    Yeah, RIM (who is really the top of the heap device) owns so much of the market because of all those informative, feature-laden ads showing off the devices... Right?
    I guess there's no point in being passionate about this platform unless it's positively so. Otherwise...you're just vehemently wallowing in negativity.

Seems fair.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast