Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    "Life Moves Fast, Dont miss a Thing"

I think if Palm goes bankrupt ,this will be an apt slogan.

I like the new video ad though.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I thought it was pretty good - nobody outside of nerds like us cares how the OS works or any of that nonsense.
    I don't understand the grief over this ad. No, it didn't show the phone up close. Do some of you really think it must show a closeup of the phone screen for people to understand. Every action on the "overlay" is what one could see on a Palm Pre screen. Plus, I think it showed one of the very important features of the phone - you easily move from one action to another seamlessly. That was one of the first things I noticed about my use of the phone, I switch apps without really thinking about it, without really having to think about it.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    finally a decent commercial

I can't remember a time when I didn't exist, I will not remember a time when I cease to exist.

In my eyes, I am immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't understand the grief over this ad. No, it didn't show the phone up close. Do some of you really think it must show a closeup of the phone screen for people to understand. Every action on the "overlay" is what one could see on a Palm Pre screen. Plus, I think it showed one of the very important features of the phone - you easily move from one action to another seamlessly. That was one of the first things I noticed about my use of the phone, I switch apps without really thinking about it, without really having to think about it.
    Exactly, hombre. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    it looks like there is a whole series of ads on youtube showing the ease of multitasking. But it looks like these are strictly youtube videos. yes/no??
    To me the this ad is cool and upbeat, showing the WebOS lifestyle in a positive way much live the BB love commercials. I think it's great.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy96 View Post
    after watching that commercial, which i liked, I was browsing through the other recommended youtube videos that relate to this one. I noticed there was another commercial strictly promoting the touchstone. Is that an old commercial? I've never seen it before. Just watch the ad again and when it's done look through the other videos that are recommended.

Edit: Here is the link --
    Hell yeah... you would not believe the amount of people in LOVE with my Touchstone's... I have 'em work, home and in my car... between me and my family we have 17, soon to be 20.

... Palm needs to advertise it too!!!

Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    no no, i've seen the touchstone before, I have it. But i've never seen that ad before. Haha, sorry for the confusion. I can see how my wording was weird. Is that a televised commercial?
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy96 View Post
    no no, i've seen the touchstone before, I have it. But i've never seen that ad before. Haha, sorry for the confusion. I can see how my wording was weird. Is that a televised commercial?
    The touchstone videos are the same ones from the informational app in the catalog. They're not televised, just like little information snippets for current users. They do need a commercial for the Touchstone though.
    I think the ad focuses on the real strength of webOS: its actual use in real life. This is where webOS shines. Statistically, though, Palm's at a huge disadvantage--Apple talks about and shows all of the apps available for the iPhone because they can.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I think the ad focuses on the real strength of webOS: its actual use in real life. This is where webOS shines. Statistically, though, Palm's at a huge disadvantage--Apple talks about and shows all of the apps available for the iPhone because they can.
    Yeah, but of course they fail to mention the endless crap you'll have to wade through for something decent. The Android Market is the same way, and I'm sure one day Palm's catalog will be too. It's easy to throw out numbers to the uninformed, but I have yet to meet someone who's actually used an iphone say they enjoy having that many apps at their disposal. For everyone of the "gems" (and make no mistake there are a lot of gems) there's 10 that are mostly just a waste of space. I don't know how many books as apps and soundboards there are but probably a heavy chunk of the total. It's just a shame no one's cared to point that out in their advertising, it's not like apple could really argue the point other than to highlight the "gems" like they already do.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    You don't have to say a specific number. Just say 'thousands'. People understand thousands and it sounds like a lot. Thousands is enough for most.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    If Palm released similar commercials to iPhone ads showcasing the phone and saying what it can do, etc, I guarantee you people will say "well, but the iPhone can do that and it kinda looks like an iPhone commercial". I think within the 30 seconds, the new ad showed us multi-tasking, gps location of a particular place and lastly, being able to make phone calls. It's a simple, straight to the point message. What do you want her to do? Sit there and give you a mini orientation of the phone? That's boring and people have seen enough iPhone commercials to be conditioned to ignore them. It had cool music, was "young" and "hip". I'm sure this isnt' the last new commercial you'll see from Palm. Chill, people. Chill. Let's all be happy. Like the chick in the new ad.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    The key phrase in this thread is "step in the right direction"

They got away from creepy girls, and creepier Moms.

They show a modern woman using it in real world life. Now they need to continue this and open a series.

Maybe show professional man in business suit doing the same thing showing the multi-tasking with Calendar and Emaili... during the commercial shift the suit to t-shirt and jeans with the next swipe going to Fandango or another casual app. Want to go back to Moms? Show a busy mom in a minivan with the kids in the back.....have the screen multitask the same way.

This could be a great start.....I hope they run with it. I agree with most on the same point too....they need to show the phone.

Maybe end the commercials with the people placing their phones on the Touchstone....
    Let me give my opinion again without the distracting qualifier:

I think the ad focuses on the real strength of webOS: its actual use in real life. This is where webOS shines.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    The key phrase in this thread is "step in the right direction"

They got away from creepy girls, and creepier Moms.

YES!

... but on side note, the creepy mom commercial was vzn doing, not palm direclty.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    Yeah, but of course they fail to mention the endless crap you'll have to wade through for something decent. The Android Market is the same way, and I'm sure one day Palm's catalog will be too. It's easy to throw out numbers to the uninformed, but I have yet to meet someone who's actually used an iphone say they enjoy having that many apps at their disposal. For everyone of the "gems" (and make no mistake there are a lot of gems) there's 10 that are mostly just a waste of space. I don't know how many books as apps and soundboards there are but probably a heavy chunk of the total. It's just a shame no one's cared to point that out in their advertising, it's not like apple could really argue the point other than to highlight the "gems" like they already do.
    Thats the beauty of the iPhone, there are endless apps for just about ANYTHING. Just as they advertise, and you don't necessarily have to pay for them. I believe once the iPhone add multi-tasking it will be OVER for Palm. What edge will Palm have over the other platforms out there? The commercial should have shown the phone and how you can multi-task and not these stupid poetic visuals. Some of the best vids I've seen are home made ones posted right here on precentral.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    They show a modern woman using it in real world life. Now they need to continue this and open a series.
    Maybe end the commercials with the people placing their phones on the Touchstone....
    Agreed. If this becomes a nice series of folks using their Pre when out and about in real life, this could be a powerful message. By itself, this one ad is good, but as part of a series it could be downright compelling.

And one ad should show someone grabbing their Pre/Pixi off a Touchstone at home in the morning, doing stuff on their commute, and then finishing by sticking it on a Touchstone in the office.
    They show a modern woman using it in real world life. Now they need to continue this and open a series with a professional man in business suit doing the same thing. Want to go back to Moms? Show a busy mom in a minivan with the kids in the back.....have the screen multitask the same way.
    Don't show someone in a car operating their phone, that's just bad form man

one ad should show someone grabbing their Pre/Pixi off a Touchstone at home in the morning, doing stuff on their commute, and then finishing by sticking it on a Touchstone in the office.
    I like that idea.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast