Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shellzda1 View Post
    The rep said that is a horrible phone and he would feel bad selling it to us. At that point, I asked for the store manager. He said they have more issues with the Pre than any other phone, and kept trying to show us different phones.

I was pretty agitated so we left. Then Sunday at a mall store, they basically told me the same thing, stating that they don't even keep them in stock because Sprint does not have a high demand for that phone. I was so irritated at this point I could have screamed.

My daughter will be getting a pre anyway. I cannot imagine Sprint really saying that. BUT that is 4 different Sprint Employees who said it (at 3 different locations). GGGRRRRR
    I'm not sure why you are so angry. You clearly had your mind made up and refuse to budge so why bother will a sales discussion at all? Go in. Buy a phone. Then leave. Going to 3 locations simply to find the one salesman that will concur "It's a good phone" seems like a waste of time.

Also, people really need to step back and consider if they've ever heard of someone who plans on making Cell Phone Sales Clerk their career. I don't mean to belittle them because I've worked the worst jobs while in college, but in the end then selling cameras or ice cream or denim classic 5 button jeans are more about making rent than anything else. We have the internet now so if I want to buy something then I'm going to research it at home and then use the store for nothing more than a point of purchase. I'm not really interested in what a salesman thinks about the products I buy.
    My general impression of any of the wireless carrier stores: I think they try to "push" certain phones because probably either a) they have some sort of contract with specific manufacturer and/or b) higher premium for selling certain devices.

But at the same time, they should also train that if someone walks in and asking for specific device because they already have made up their mind like set in stone, they should just give in and let them have it. Because a sale is a sale after all, they do get money off from selling contract/service.

I mean, if someone walks in without a clue, or like, they have a preferable device but not quite 100% sold on it, then fine, go ahead and talk them into buying whatever you're "trained" to sell. But if the customer is going to stand there and argue with you that they want "this thing and nothing else" then why are you fighting them? They made up their mind and you can't talked them into something else. You can have a general "chat" with them, like asking what they're looking for and you can kinda tell whether they want something "for sure" versus, "oh i like this but oh i don't know" people - smart salesmen should know better. Doesn't mean that they can't "mention" their "hot item" (after all, they're trained to sell that hot item) but shouldn't try to push you into one or completely talk you out of what your mind is set on. Because at the end of the day "those" customers will buy what they want, whether it's from your store or somewhere else!
    I was just in our main sprint store this weekend to port my homeline over to a third line on our account. The clerk, besides being incredibly helpful, observed that since we had two Pres already and had all the benefits of that, perhaps we might think about a 'droid for our third line. I didn't find this to be anti-Pre at all; she said several times that it's a great phone, but just wanted to point out that we might be able to take advantage of the good things that phone offers, too. In the end I decided to not put any new money into the deal and ported the line to my old Treo 650 ;-)
    The thing I'm picking up from some of these threads is that Sprint store employees are almost ridiculing customers for coming in and asking for a specific phone. That just strikes me as odd. I have to think that the reps are concerned about having their pay docked for returns...but is that based upon what they "hear" or what they really experience in the store?

Usually, when you hear this tactic, the rep stands to make more money by pushing customers to a particular product. Any chance that makers of other smartphones are giving big incentives for moving their product?
    Quote Originally Posted by kittykatta View Post
    I'm not sure why you are so angry. You clearly had your mind made up and refuse to budge so why bother will a sales discussion at all? Go in. Buy a phone. Then leave. Going to 3 locations simply to find the one salesman that will concur "It's a good phone" seems like a waste of time.

Also, people really need to step back and consider if they've ever heard of someone who plans on making Cell Phone Sales Clerk their career. I don't mean to belittle them because I've worked the worst jobs while in college, but in the end then selling cameras or ice cream or denim classic 5 button jeans are more about making rent than anything else. We have the internet now so if I want to buy something then I'm going to research it at home and then use the store for nothing more than a point of purchase. I'm not really interested in what a salesman thinks about the products I buy.
    Agree 1000%.
    Extremely well said.

(I was gonna ask why he was so angry too, lol)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    I went to a verizon store which was supposed to be a premium store and asked to see the pre plus. The manager said that they don't displauy it and discouraged me from even wanting to see it. He said why don't you look at the droid or eris? I like android too but that's not what I came to see. He said that they have had issues with palm phones in the past and he wanted to avoid that. He heard of bad reviews from the regular pre. When I went to leave after I said I thought this was a premium store, he pulled out the demo which was a dummy phone of the pre plus. Unfortunetly palm didn't come out strong enough on build quality and that is leaving a bad taste for customers and reps the same.
    Don't forget to go on this thread and post your store's responses. They're keeping track of any and all locations good and bad:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...zon-store.html
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdcoop View Post
    My general impression of any of the wireless carrier stores: I think they try to "push" certain phones because probably either a) they have some sort of contract with specific manufacturer and/or b) higher premium for selling certain devices.
    neither are true.
    I work for Sprint, and we do have a lot of problems with the Pres, but I own one and we push PALM more than most phones. It has to do with personnel in store, and what the employees are comfortable with. Which sucks but its true. SmartPhones don't make dumb people any more smart.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I went into Best Buy looking to buy an iphone back in September ad the guy said "You don't want an iphone. Check out the Pre". I imedately wrote him off becasue I had been lusting after the iphone for so long.

Long story short, after reading about the Pre and seeing it in the store I decided to go with it. I appreciate SO MUCH the guy at Best Buy who turned me on to the Pre. Best decision I've made in a while.
    Sometimes salespeople sell what they like and not what the customer likes.

I suggest recording your phone calls for proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by jstew10 View Post
    I went into Best Buy looking to buy an iphone back in September ad the guy said "You don't want an iphone. Check out the Pre". I imedately wrote him off becasue I had been lusting after the iphone for so long.

Long story short, after reading about the Pre and seeing it in the store I decided to go with it. I appreciate SO MUCH the guy at Best Buy who turned me on to the Pre. Best decision I've made in a while.
    That rep must have had a contract with Palm or got extra incentives for selling Palm devices.
    I had talked a friend of my wife's into getting a Pre after 1.4 came out. She wanted video recording. My wife talked to her the other day and said she got a Hero. Said she did a chat with a Sprint rep online and they talked her out of a Pre.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    Sometimes salespeople sell what they like and not what the customer likes.

I suggest recording your phone calls for proof.
    Oftentimes salespeople sell from their very limited experience, thinking that what is good for one goose is good for all the ganders out there. Sometimes regional managers and/or the store "tech guy" will pass judgement and the lemmings just repeat it ad nauseam.

Not fair but such is life. People tend to inject their own biases and prejudices unwittingly and/or be guilty of transference, which is to say that they give credence to an "expert" opinion on subject A when said "expert" is only an expert in subject "B", "C", or, "D". :shrug: Whaddya gonna do?
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    To play devil's advocate for a moment, who knows more and has more inside information on the Palm products than Sprint? Answer: nobody. No other carrier has had a closer relationship with Palm over the years than Sprint. Maybe they know something we don't.

Two different sources inside Sprint have told me that there are 3 main reasons that they are laying low when it comes to the Pre.
    1) Very low interest in the Pre. Just not many people are walking in asking for a Pre.
    2) The return rate is through the roof, along the lines of 3 out of every 5 being returned for various warranty issues, usually hardware issues.
    3) Locations are keeping low or no inventory, due to inside rumblings about a Palm Wimax device being dropped mid to late summer. None of the managers want to be stuck with Pre inventory that they can't get rid of, when the new device hits.

PS: (...pssss, Nexus One will be available on Sprint before the end of the summer)
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post

PS: (...pssss, Nexus One will be available on Sprint before the end of the summer)
    which is another device that is severely missing sales goals/projections.
    u knw WHAT??? i feel his pain caause sometimes i go to a sprint store n is the same but what bothers me is that they dont knw s h i t cause i b asking them questions on purpose n I knw more than them about this phone
    i also hear the nexus one having a lot issues
    Maybe we should put ourselves in the shoes of a Sprint employee. If you gotta choice between selling a phone that you're probably see again and have to deal with a ****ed off customer or selling a phone that's gonna work ... which one would you sell?
    The Saint
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Agree 1000%.
    Extremely well said.

(I was gonna ask why he was so angry too, lol)
    First, just to set the record straight, I am female
    Second, my local sprint store would not even pull out the Pre, that's why I asked for the manager. The rep just kept talking to me like I was an ***** and telling me that I really did not want a Pre for my daughter. Then when the manager acted the same, I decided I was not going to be spending ANY money at that store. At the second store, they said they had none in stock. I ended up at walmart tonight and got her one for only $99 (which is cheaper than Sprint anyway.)
    I was only trying to say that the Pre is never going to be a success if that is how Sprint is explaining it to prospective customers. Maybe this is a rare thing, but it seemed odd that 3 different people all said the same thing if that is not what Sprint is putting out there, ya know????
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast