Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is the first thread I have started so don't start the "Did you use the search crap" please.
    I finally had to take my Pre back to Sprint because of a crack starting at the USB port and a power button failure. I have had this phone since August and i love WebOS and the Pre. The Sprint Tech said that he would never recommend a Palm product to anyone because he has seen many Palm phones returned in his years of working for Sprint.

He prefers Windows Mobile devices

Can Palm make a quality smart phone to support the awesomeness of their WebOS?

Mr. Rubinstein HELP!
    I've had three palm phones, a Treo 700p, a centro and a pre, nothing has ever gone wrong with them. Not saying there aren't issues, because there ARE, but overall, I've had great experiences with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by theChrisLake View Post
    What is the search "crap"???? I'm very interested to know.
    Certain people get irked when a thread is made about a topic that has been covered x^n+1 times before.
    I've only ever owned the Treo 755, I had no problems, and I upgraded to the pre because I WANTED a new phone. That said, the internet is much faster so I'm much happier. The first I heard about palm hardware issues before today, was a mention in a verizon thread where they said palms treos were known problems. With the treo 600 and 650, I recall people doing multiple returns, which I thought was mostly a result of hacking the phone, but with the 700 and later, not so much.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    i never had problems with my 755p other then freezing up, not hardware related, however i had multiple issues with my first PRE, 2nd one has been better, but the slider to starting to loosen up again and I've had it for about 2 months? maybe 3...
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Whether Palm did have quality issues before or not, it doesn't mean anything now because they're not the same company.
    My Treo650 survived through it's whole contract period no problem.. Before that the Palm Vx I bought worked perfectly & I sold it. As far as i know it's still working fine with it's current owner.

I've had this Pre since last September and it's working great

Yeah it has it's share of problems but, name me a problem-free smartphone
    Typically, when Palm does something new (like the slider on the Tungsten T, the rubberized coating on the Zire 72, etc), there are issues.

The Tungsten T would periodically fall "off it's rocker." Part of this was by design; the slider was meant to unlock to disassemble the device. Eventually though the locks that kept the slider in place would wear and periodically the slider wouldn't stop but keep going and the device would expose its innards.

The Zire 72 was notorious for the rubberized coating peeling off very easily. Eventually Palm released the Zire 72s, with a silver plastic rather than silver plastic with blue rubber on top.

There are other examples with previous Palm devices (the m505's backlight was very dim, but that was a poor design choice rather than a bug in the device).

Overall, I wouldn't say they have any more or any less issues than other companies. Microsoft's dying Xbox issue, Apple's jaundiced iMacs, etc.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    btw the Pre is manufactured by Compal, afaikafaikafaik.
    Compal also manufacturs for a lot of Notebook OEMs and companies like Nokia.
  10.    #10  
    I appreciate the responses to my question. The Pre is my first Palm product and first smart phone. I don't think I could use another OS now. I am always trying to swipe and throw apps off my daughters Ipod touch and the my wife's dumb phone.

PreCentral Rules
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    My T650 is in its 5th year (still using it as backup) and it's been rock soild hardware - dropped coutless times & submerged once. So in my opinion, no, no history of poor hardware. That said, the pre is a huge jump from previous form factors and its a 1.0 unit so you have to expect growing pains....and being extra careful handling it helps
    In my experience with the old Palm; Treo 650, 700p, Centro, all have been rock solid and have never been returned.

With the new Palm so far: I had a mic problem on my launch Pre with Sprint which is not common but I returned it. No problems so far w/ my girls Pre+ and my brother w/ the Pixi+.
    This is your clue to the guy's real motivation:

Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    He prefers Windows Mobile devices
    That would be akin to you bringing back your Sony Vaio Laptop, and the computer tech telling you that they have lots of Sony's come back, and he prefers laptops that come with Linux.

Windows Mobile Devices came on many manufacturer devices (including Palm). What he's really telling you is that his personal preference is Windows Mobile, and Palm no longer makes a device with that OS.
    Palm has had mixed results during their hardware history. For the most part, their devices are pretty good (except for one or two glaring/unforseen "engineering defects" every time they try "something new"). The Treo 270 and 300 had problems with the hinge cracking after extended use (just like the USB port crack that develops on many Pre's after about 5 months or daily use, and the slider mechanism being "not the greatest").

EDIT: I agree that I'm "mixing companies". Handspring originally made the Treo's, but the two companies share a lot of the same DNA. The treo 700p/755 were Palm creations as well as the Centro. I'd only consider the Centro to be the real success in that era. I think the Pre is a "test tube baby" that had minor/unexpected "birth defects".

I think some of the "hardware quality" (or lack of it) is due to how good of an ODM (manufacturer) they use for the device. The Pixi seems to be having less problems than the Pre. The Treos (600, especially 650, 680, and Centros) were really solid and reliable devices as far as hardware was concerned. The centro really was pretty much a Treo 755 in a "cheaper package". The 700p and 755 had some problems due to using a shared hardware platform that was "detuned" for PalmOS and better for Windows Mobile. That's probably why the repair tech you know has the bias toward Windows Mobile devices. (I can't explain why the Centro was considered non-problematic other than to say Palm had more opportunities to tweak it and people's expectations were probably lower.)

Overall, I think Palm has been learning lessons the hard way. The Treo's were usually designed/manufactured by HTC and they've been pretty solid. I think the "cooks" who made the Pre used great ingredients but that they needed a little more experience "in the kitchen". I expect the next Palm phone to be as rock-solid as the Treo 650 is/was!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Zire 72, TX (brand new on release day from Circuit City), Treo 755p (bought on launch day with Alltel) and now a Pre Plus. All of my previous Palm devices were rock solid. Oddly enough, the blue casing never peeled on my Zire 72 and I bought it used. My daughter put a pink silicone case over it to make it look purple to her so perhaps that's why. Either way, Palm has always served our family well.
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
    btw the Pre is manufactured by Compal, afaikafaikafaik.
    Compal also manufacturs for a lot of Notebook OEMs and companies like Nokia.
    I think it may have been a smaller outfit "bought/merged" into a bigger company. I may be being unfair to them, but I don't perceive this company as being able to manufacture devices without significant "variability" in their output. (Ie: early issues with battery fit, devices with loose sliders when purchased, and the mismatched output of the LED backlights.) Maybe other manufactures test the final product and "rework" the errors too, but better companies (like Toyota) figure out ways to identify defects in the middle of the manufacturing process rather than by inspection at the end.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    I think it may have been a smaller outfit "bought/merged" into a bigger company. I may be being unfair to them, but I don't perceive this company as being able to manufacture devices without significant "variability" in their output. (Ie: early issues with battery fit, devices with loose sliders when purchased, and the mismatched output of the LED backlights.) Maybe other manufactures test the final product and "rework" the errors too, but better companies (like Toyota) figure out ways to identify defects in the middle of the manufacturing process rather than by inspection at the end.
    I'm not sure I would currently use Toyota as a company adept at identifying manufacturing defects.
    Treos were built like tanks.
    But Treos had a 2.5 mm headphone jack which broke on every one I owned .
    One jack broke the very first time I used it.
    It was a notorious defect that Palm continued with for many models over many years.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'm not sure it matters if palm actually does produce poor hardware rather than there is a perception problem in that a lot of people believe they make poor hardware and that is a factor in them passing the Pre over..
    Historically? Yes, they build great hardware. In fact, that's one of the selling points of Palm products in the first place. They partnered originally with Handspring, who made the most solid PDA hardware pretty much anywhere, that and PalmOS were a killer combo. Treos after Handspring was absorbed were equally good. I agree on the 650, that thing has been beaten around for quite a few years, and still works perfectly. Currently a makeshift iPod for my mom, books, audio books, music at night, occasional cheapie game. I skipped a couple of phones, and while I didn't care a whole lot for WinMo 6.1, I have zero complaints about the 800w aside from the poor battery life, that one I can lay right on Palm, they designed a phone with more than double the power of a Centro on the exact same battery. /facepalm Hardware is dang solid, though, works well. They use a variety of manufacturers, though, Palm themselves don't build the hardware. Older Treos were HTC pieces, I forget who made the 800w and Treo Pro. Pre........I'll tell you in a year. I expect the moving hardware will wear out, I don't expect sliders to last too long. Otherwise, seems solid enough, I can give it a good squeeze or type fairly hard and it doesn't squeak on me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast