Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I have a Palm Tungsten T2 that's seven years old, and is solid as a rock. The slider still works perfectly after all this time, and aside from a few dents in the aluminum and a bit of plastic on the bottom cracked off where I've dropped it on concrete a couple times, it's in perfect shape, and it works just fine.
    "Anyone who quotes me in their signature is an *****." -- StormD
    HTC did the Treo Pro. I've seen on Palminfocenter who made all of the devices but I couldn't tell you now who they all were

I do agree that Palm makes some reliable hardware. Every Palm I've had has been a tank.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smolira View Post
    I'm not sure I would currently use Toyota as a company adept at identifying manufacturing defects.
    To me, this shows that "even the best" can fail when they cut corners. I believe Toyota has historically been successful mostly because of "dedicated" people. I believe the recent downturn in the economy has caused Toyota to trim costs to the point that it has jeopardized confidence in it's brand. I highly suspect most of their "problems" are due to problems in their embedded computer/control systems in their cars. (Ie: bad programming or "race conditions", and not enough testing to have properly fleshed these out.) I worked several years for a Japanese company (not in the auto industry) and typically they have a very high commitment to quality throughout the company. In past economies, they would have tested the hell out of things and would not have risked anything that even remotely looked suspicious. I suspect due to economic conditions, they took some shortcuts in their established/traditional processes and they (and we) are now seeing the result.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    You can check my signature line to see all the Palms I've owned (more PDAs than phones). All these devices are still working and some are in regular use. (I tend to share my toys with family members.) I've never broken or bricked any of them. I've even replaced batteries in units that were not designed to be opened. With the exception of the Zire 71 which had some unfortunate design features, all my Palms have been rock solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    HTC did the Treo Pro. I've seen on Palminfocenter who made all of the devices but I couldn't tell you now who they all were

I do agree that Palm makes some reliable hardware. Every Palm I've had has been a tank.
    I thought they did. I looked up the 800w out of curiosity, but I forget now. That one was sort of an anomoly anyway, in more ways than one.
    Quote Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
    btw the Pre is manufactured by Compal, afaikafaikafaik.
    Compal also manufacturs for a lot of Notebook OEMs and companies like Nokia.
    That being said, it doesn't really matter WHO makes the device, but rather who ORDERS the device and what price they're willing to pay for quality. Seeing as how Palm is a smaller company than Nokia, I'm sure they probably compromised on manufacturing/material quality in order to try and actually make a profit to continue their business. There's a fine balance between making sufficient quality, quantity and price per unit - how to make a million handsets at a given price.

A lot of OEM manufacturers do make stuff for high end companies; take for example Matsu****a (Panasonic). They make a wide majority of OEM car stereos - but also manufactured high end brands such as Eclipse, which are very high quality bells-and- whistles head units. If they manufactured all of their OEM stereos to Eclipse specs, with the same materials, they wouldn't have taken the market like they did, and Panasonic wouldn't have been the powerhouse it is today.

In regards to the Pre specifically, I had my launch day Sprint Pre up until a week ago. Due to the update, it visually exposed the headphone jack problem. Up until then, I had only heard a clicking noise now and again during calls, which I was trying to deduce the cause. With the replacement now in working order, it has no problems, aside from maaayybe the vibrate getting stuck on a txt message, and that's once in a blue moon. I think given what their goal with the Pre was, they probably came through with a totally useable device. Maybe due to the manufacturing there are a percentage of phones that have errors that aren't caught in QA. Just like any other company, that's a small price to pay for getting an outstanding device out to the general public.

Just my two cents..
    FWIW, the iPhone is built by Foxconn, fine purveyor of motherboards for Dell, Compaq and the others for years, and still a common manufactur for laptops and netbooks.
    My Handspring/Palm experience:

1) Handspring Treo 300 (used) - Eventually hinge broke. Sprint gave me a $300 credit because it was a known defect. I used the credit to buy a Handspring Treo 600.

2) Handspring Treo 600 - Non-replaceable battery lasted 2 years (darn good). Exchanged for refurb/replacement. Still works great.

3) Palm Treo 700p - No matter how hard I tried, I could not break this phone. The ROM (software) sucked. Palm botched the update so bad, they stopped providing updates. I used the bootleg 755p ROM, which helped. Phone was great. Palm support and ROM updates sucked. Phone still works.

4) Palm Pre - #1 had a bad key. #2 had a bubble where the plastic was delaminating from the display. #3 still working great with minimal Oreo effect.

If there is a new/upgraded webOS phone on Sprint this year, I will get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
    btw the Pre is manufactured by Compal, afaikafaikafaik.
    Compal also manufacturs for a lot of Notebook OEMs and companies like Nokia.
    Pre is Chi-Mei Communication Systems, subsidiary of Foxconn
    Pixi is Compal
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    The best and ONLY phone I didnt have a problem with was the HANDSPRING treo 600. NOT the PALM 600- much different. The 270 and 300 were alright, until the hinges cracked (Eventually they would). The 600 was solid and faster than my 755p, and STILL works today. The 650 was crap, and the 755p is ok in terms of physical hardware, but crashy and laggy as heck in terms of software.

Since Handspring went away, Palm build quality has been garbage. I've been there. I've owned 20 or more phones from them.

If you look at my sig, you will see after 10 years where I went.
    Handspring Visor with Sprint Springboard - Treo 270 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Iphone 3gs
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    1) Handspring Treo 300 (used)
    2) Handspring Treo 600
    3) Palm Treo 700p
    4) Palm Pre - #1 had a bad key.
    You travelled a path very similar to mine. I had the Sprint version of the "VisorPhone" before the Treo 300 (and I was lucky to avoid the hinge crack). Similar experience with the Treo 600 (in fact I have two of them that I keel as spares). Both are as good as the day they were new.

I didn't buy the Treo 650 (which was hands down, the best phone Palm ever made) but I watched the excitement of others with their 650's.

I had a 700p (which I didn't miss that bad when I lost, and I just reactivated one of my 600's). The only think I missed was not having EVDO.

Bought the Pre the day it came out. Initially missed the PIM features, but learned that I liked having a Web-based calendar. Then I discovered the hassle free joy of the Palm profile after replacing #1 after the USB crack crippled the digitizer.

I had one 600 that outlived it's battery and was replaced, and one Pre killed by the USB crack. 4 out of 5 of the treos never died!

Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    If there is a new/upgraded webOS phone on Sprint this year, I will get it.
    I'll probably foolishly "wait" (like when I held onto the Treo 600 and should have got the 650). If the next WebOS phone is awesome as I expect it will be, I won't be able to resist!
    Last edited by sudoer; 03/16/2010 at 06:14 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Stellar hardware in the past as I believe the Pre is Palms first product to have a subpar build quality. The Pixi seems pretty solid. What is sad that Palm risked poor build quality at the launch of an outstanding OS. Shame on them!
    If he was seriously suggesting a Windows Mobile device, run, not walk, away from this guy as he is obviously an ***** and doesn't know what he's talking about.
    That would have been good advise about 6 years ago, today, not so much.
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    If he was seriously suggesting a Windows Mobile device, run, not walk, away from this guy as he is obviously an ***** and doesn't know what he's talking about.
    That would have been good advise about 6 years ago, today, not so much.
    Two years ago, even. WebOS was nowhere near ready, PalmOS was all but dead, Android existed but didn't have much in the way of handsets or support, you basically had a choice of the iPhone or any number of WinMo phones for smartphone options. Primarily why I wound up with a 6.1 phone from Palm, I could deal with the OS, but I didn't want to give up the hardware quality as well.
  15.    #35  
    I finally was able to pickup my refurbished Pre on the 17th and so far the phone is problem free. Its my first replacement but I am getting the feeling that Sprint is getting tired of replacing the Palm Pre.

The sales girl that did the switch for me said she got a Pre when they first came out but changed back to a Blackberry because of hardware issues. She said they replace dozens of Pres each week but the Pixi has been doing fine.

I going to keep my support behind Palm in hopes that Webos will survive long enough for Palm to get some quality hardware. (hopefully soon)

kudos to Sprint for replacing my Pre without question; even though I bought it at Best Buy and did not have Sprint insurance and dropped it twice. "Warranty replacement"
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12