Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There is something so wrong about having to wait 2 or so minutes for the phone to reboot. Can anyone with knowledge about Linux tell me why this happens? I would assume there is some way to minimize this time by limiting what apps need to start.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    why?

it boots slower than a lot of smartphones, but it is not in a different league, maybe 2x the time. And iPhone boots about as long, afaikafaikafaik.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Iphone 3g boots in 40 sec.
    Iphone 3gs boots in 20 sec.
    Pre boots in 1min 40sec.

Test was done on CNET.
    There are enough issues with the pre, boot up time is not very good but how often is a person rebooting? Once or twice a week? I'd rather see resources spent on other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Iphone 3g boots in 40 sec.
    Iphone 3gs boots in 20 sec.
    Pre boots in 1min 40sec.

Test was done on CNET.
    that's about right.....

its part of the to-do list for palm.
    its hard to believe its running on the same hardware as the 3gs
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    The Linux part doesn't take that long to come up, it is Luna that is slow to launch. You can tell the difference by watching the splash screen. While the Linux OS is booting you get the static palm logo, and with Luna you get the flashing Palm logo (or whatever a theme replaces it with). The effort needs to be spent in optimizing Luna's code.
    Has the OP ever booted up a blackberry? 2 minute bootup time is not unheard of for smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Has the OP ever booted up a blackberry? 2 minute bootup time is not unheard of for smartphones.
    My blackberry bold has the loading progress at the bottom so I know how long it take.

palm should make the boot screen with the progress image like installing updates does.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Yea, i'm tired of waiting for this **** to boot. Sucks when i'm bored, try to load a game, get the "too many cards" error, reboot and by the time the dame thing loads up i don't have time to play it anymore. POS
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    My solution is not restarting my phone unless I have a period of 2-5 minutes in which I won't look or think about my phone. For all I can tell it takes a total of five seconds to boot.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesjp1 View Post
    There are enough issues with the pre, boot up time is not very good but how often is a person rebooting? Once or twice a week? I'd rather see resources spent on other things.
    Phones are/should be, rebooted more frequently then that...if you've been lucky, good for you, but just because you're not having the problem doesn't mean others aren't...
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Just use Jason's App Preset Reset I got it set to reboot at 4 am everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    There is something so wrong about having to wait 2 or so minutes for the phone to reboot. Can anyone with knowledge about Linux tell me why this happens? I would assume there is some way to minimize this time by limiting what apps need to start.

It's not just app startup time that needs to be considered though. It's quite likely that the underlying O/S is running **** on the filesystem to verify it on every boot. I also suspect that this is the cause of some of the "stuck" Pres that have been reported here - **** may be taking a long time to complete, or require user intervention which it can't get.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    yes I have but I find the pre to be longer. I know this isn't a huge issue with most people. To answer another persons point about how many times I boot my phone. I boot it at least once a day. I do have luna manager so I use that when I can to save time. Thanks angiest for your explanation of luna vs linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    Yea, i'm tired of waiting for this **** to boot. Sucks when i'm bored, try to load a game, get the "too many cards" error, reboot and by the time the dame thing loads up i don't have time to play it anymore. POS
    There are several patches/apps that let you do a Luna Restart instead of a Device Restart. Luna Restart will clear out the RAM and solve your Too Many Cards Error and you'll only have to wait ~30-45 seconds for Luna to reboot. Off the top of my head you can use Preware (in the menu "Luna Manager" is now an option), you can use Jason's power button options patches, or you can use the Luna Manager stand-alone app (same thing as what is in Preware, but you don't have to launch Preware).
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Just use Jason's App Preset Reset I got it set to reboot at 4 am everyday.
    Sometimes you might need to reboot for a app to work, so this is not an option. If it's just a matter of rebooting the phone, yea do that anytime you are not using it...not such a big deal, but this isn't the complaint here.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I posted this in another thread...

If you are getting the too many card error with a small number of cards open (including none) then using Luna Manager to restart Java. Big surprise, it seems something in the jvm is leaking memory. :O
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    a reboot is almost never needed, a Luna restart is all you need.

try Advanced Reset Options patch or Luna Manager app from Preware
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
    a reboot is almost never needed, a Luna restart is all you need.

try Advanced Reset Options patch or Luna Manager app from Preware
    Didn't know this crap existed, NICE! Can't believe I missed this.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    I disagree with the OP. I'd much rather palm dedicate resources to making it so the phone needs to be rebooted less, rather than work on boot time.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast